Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DarkBasic works on Mac (with Wine!)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2017 09:25 Edited at: 19th Sep 2017 09:26
13 years since my last post? Time flies! I'm now a professional dev, so thanks for helping me get my start TGC.

Down to business though: ten years ago last month, I released Tales of Corneria, my first finished 3d game. It was made entirely in DarkBasic Pro, so I thought the exe would never work on Mac. ...but last week I looked into it anyways, after hearing DarkBasic was open source now, and found this thread. A suggestion of Wine working, but no proof.

Well I have proof! Wine works with DarkBasic Pro, at least as of 2007, and you can see the final result here! Admittedly: looping audio is totally broken, but all other audio, graphics, gameplay, interactions, code - everything seems to work! Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator) contains DirectX9 now and runs fully on Mac, and better yet, programs like Wine Bottler actually let you package Wine into an app so you can distribute the entire thing as one Mac application. That's what I've done above, and besides the looping audio issue (so music and looping sfx sound broken) it seems to work really well. I don't have footage yet, but I see no differences in anything aside from the audio. It's really impressive!

So if you have an old DarkBasic Pro build, and I bet Classic works too, be sure to give it a try on Wine for Mac. Not only could it work, it seems in fact to work surprisingly well.
Pineapple juice, the best drink ever made.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2017 13:37
You posted this on the DarkBasic CLASSIC board. You might want to ask an Admin to move it to the DarkBasic Pro board. I would think it would get a lot more traffic there, plus it seems your game was written in DB Pro anyway. Same with the other post you made.

So many games to code.....so little time.
BLink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2017 22:54
Oh whoops, good call. I'll make the request for this one!
Pineapple juice, the best drink ever made.
zero32
Years of Service
User Offline
some time ago, i tested dark basic pro on linux using wine. i had the problem that it could not load any assets. i was able to fix this by adding a dot at the start of every path, so that "media/player.x" would become "./media/player.x". i don't know if this is still needed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:47:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:47:58