Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Leap Motion Plug-in Released!

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2017 15:24 Edited at: 10th Oct 2017 15:25
If you have a Leap Motion device you can now control it from AppGameKit with the AppGameKit VR DLC.

We have added a whole new Plug-in that has over 100 commands.

Read the news about it HERE

Rick
Development Director
TGC Team
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2017 19:25
anyone have one and they can share their experience with us (not essentially with AppGameKit VR but just in general)? not heard of it before and can see quite a few listed on ebay (will pick one up if one goes for cheap), so i'm guessing this is quite a niche market...
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
nz0
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2017 23:11
Wow.. just noticed it's auto-downloaded into the VR DLC.

Very nice (although I don't have a leap motion, someone at work does.)

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2017 02:22
The Leap Motion plugin is included with the AGKVR DLC, but you can use the Leap Motion plugin even if you don't have a VR Head Mounted Device. You can actually just set the Leap Motion device on your desk and use it as a way to interact with your 3D world. If you do have a VR HMD though, you mount the Leap Motion to the front and your hands really come to life in your application.
I have written the Leap Motion plugin in a way that is really easy to use. It takes very few commands to have full hand tracking working nicely. But, the full depth of the Leap Motion SDK is available through the plugin, so it is also very flexible.

Quote: " so i'm guessing this is quite a niche market... "

Yeah. It probably is pretty niche, but it does work pretty well. I'm impressed with what the hardware can do!

Ron
a.k.a WOLF!
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2017 00:11
Not had chance to check all this yet but is it Mac compatible or is VR and LEAP Windows only?
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2017 02:06 Edited at: 12th Oct 2017 02:33
Quote: "Not had chance to check all this yet but is it Mac compatible or is VR and LEAP Windows only?"

From what I see with an eBay search, the Leap Motion hardware will do MACs and PCs.

However, the AGKVR page says...
Quote: "This DLC is currently only available for the Windows platform."

So, I guess we are limited to Windows only for now. (that is fine by me, because I don't fall for the revolving Apple tricks)

Quote: "It probably is pretty niche, but it does work pretty well. I'm impressed with what the hardware can do!"

I am not into the VR headsets, but this Leap Motion does intrigue me.

I can imagine that this type of input controller could be beneficial to people with certain disabilities, which could be a very positive asset to some niche markets.

Quote: "The Leap Motion plugin is included with the AGKVR DLC, but you can use the Leap Motion plugin even if you don't have a VR Head Mounted Device. You can actually just set the Leap Motion device on your desk and use it as a way to interact with your 3D world."

AWESOME!!!
Will be awhile before I can pick one up, but I certainly will be playing with this ASAP!

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for doing this! I don't have leap motion, yet, but it sounds super immersive.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2017 14:33 Edited at: 12th Oct 2017 14:34
Quote: "Not had chance to check all this yet but is it Mac compatible or is VR and LEAP Windows only?"

Quote: "From what I see with an eBay search, the Leap Motion hardware will do MACs and PCs."

The newest implementation of the Leap Motion SDK (Orion), which is used by the AGKLeap plugin is Windows only, so currently there is nothing I can do about supporting MAC.

Quote: "I can imagine that this type of input controller could be beneficial to people with certain disabilities, which could be a very positive asset to some niche markets."

Yes! I was thinking the same thing while working on this!

Quote: "Thanks for doing this! I don't have leap motion, yet, but it sounds super immersive."

My pleasure! It is a lot of fun working with cool hardware like this!
a.k.a WOLF!
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 19th Oct 2017 22:02
A great idea for this maybe a virtual exercise app where it can catch your enegy / heart levels / stanima - no more going to the gym.. Ace!!
davemills
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I have a Leap Motion setup that I use with HTC Vive and it works fine, can be somewhat hit and miss but it's improving all the time. But I can not get it to work with AGK. It find it ok and there is some sort of hand image seen, but slow and not coordinated with real hands. Latest drivers installed and calibrated ok. I know it's early days for AppGameKit with the LM but I can not see what the problem is.
My setup is MSI VR1 with i7, 16gb, Nvidia 1060 with HTC Vive and Leap Motion controller.
Cheers
Dave
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2017 18:35
Hi Dave,
Which example are you trying to run? There are 3 different demos, each has a VR and non-VR example. Maybe try to get the LeapMotion working with the non-VR demo first. To do this, set the LeapMotion hardware on your desk in front of you. The USB cable should be coming out of the left side. Then wave your hands above the LeapMotion sensor and they should be detected and hands will be displayed on the screen. Sometimes I've had the LeapMotion act strangely by recognizing a right hand as left and left hand as right, but it seems to correct itself.

Ron
a.k.a WOLF!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:07:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:07:22