Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Poacher Pirates

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2017 22:21 Edited at: 21st Oct 2017 22:23
I guess I am far enough to announce this project.... Poacher Pirates!

Hopefully this WIP will get finished and be released soon, as long as I don't get side tracked on something else.

Someone recently asked about 2D water effects and it got me playing around, so I decided to use a simple 2d water effect for a 3d environment.

After making a fleet of 3d models of some ships, one thing led to another and this project is the result.

I still have not decided firmly on the name, but I guess this one will do for now as a place holder.

The idea is that your ship will combat (with non violent methods) oceanic poachers.

The first campaign will be an effort to save whales in the antarctic whale sanctuary. (hence the icebergs)

Not much to see so far, but I am posting a screenshot below, and I will post a high definition video later this week...

I have the player's ship's navigation worked out, as well as the collisions for it.

300 Icebergs so far, with the bigger ones appearing on the radar.

The radar is fully functioning (worked on that today) and it takes a keen eye to watch for movement in order to distinguish the ships from the icebergs.

I had been procrastinating on the radar since I am mixing the 3d world with a 2d mini-map, but it was actually rather simple to do.

The player's ship is the green dot in the center, of course, and the little green line on the edge rotates with the ship to show your ship's direction.

The buttons above the radar are used for ship navigation, and you can swipe the screen to tilt and pan the camera.

The buttons and control pad on the right are used for your water cannon and stink bombs.

The water cannon is done, but I still have to code the stink bombs.

The logic for the whalers fishing is done but I still have to do the collisions and AI for their ships.

Anyway, I am really glad to be working with AppGameKit again, and I have a lot of catching up to do.

DISCLAIMER
This game is not affiliated with the Whale Wars series produced by Animal Planet.
The Sea Shepherd organization does not endorse or approve of this game, nor are they affiliated with it.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1

Attachments

Login to view attachments
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2017 23:31
Looks good. Looking forward to the demo
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 00:04 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2017 00:48
Quote: "Looks good. Looking forward to the demo"

Thanks

Some of my old thread are locked now, so I just made a couple new links on my website to access the HTML5 builds that I worked on.

Thought I would just mention that in case you would like to try out "Space Invaders CE", or "Star Castle CE".

They seem old now, and I think I could make them a lot better, but I need to get some more titles out there, so I'll try to keep things simple.

The "Space Invaders CE" was an experiment using drawn stuff in the code instead of image files for sprites, hence the cheesy graphics.

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2017 00:07
Great work as usual CE
Good to see you getting into the 3D side of things, I am still 2D yet haha

Looking forward to having a bash at this.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2017 02:16 Edited at: 24th Oct 2017 04:47
Thanks SpecTre!

I knew I would get side tracked though.

Now I am playing with QR codes, but that won't take long, so this project will still have steady progress.

Quote: "Good to see you getting into the 3D side of things, I am still 2D yet haha"

Yeah, but you have dug in deep to the memblocks with your image manipulation, and I am just entering that realm. mwuhahahaha

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2017 01:24 Edited at: 20th Nov 2017 15:01
Stink Bombs!!!

Hit the 'B' button to pull up the aim indicator, which is rotated and zoomed in and out with the control pad.

Then Hit 'A' button to bring up the bottle, which slides rapidly up and down above the buttons.

The higher it is when you hit "A" again, the farther it will throw it, but wait, it slides sideways next.

Once you get it near the middle on the sideways slide, then hit "A" again and it throws the stink bomb.

So, a perfect throw, up at the top and in the middle of the slides, will hit in the little triangle of the arrow of the aim indicator.

Throw short, or off to the side, and the bottle will be short or off aim accordingly. (simple enough but tricky)

You can see from these screenshots how the bottle slider works, even though the bottle is just being launched in some of them...

The Green mist is the stink being omitted from previous hits. (and no, I wasn't close enough for another hit, just wanted to show the aim indicator)

P.S --> All the little numbers going down the left side can be ignored, because they are just for displaying variable values while adding this feature

EDIT
Okay, since the stink bottle doesn't pop up until after you hit the "a" button when the "b" has toggled "on", and the aimer is independent of the ships navigation, I had a slight problem.

If the player had toggled the bombs off then did a 180 tun with the ship, the aimer was not visible when toggled back on because it was now behind the ship.

I could have made the aimer graphic a full 360 circle easy enough, or I could just reset the position of the aimer to the front of the ship when turning on.

I did not like the big graphic going all the way around, and resetting would allow for quick aims by toggling repetitively , so...

I opted to add stationary graphics above the buttons for the whaling ships as indicators of which ships have been hit with a stink bomb.

This avoided trying to move the aimer when it was off because it wasn't seen, as now the player knows instantly when it is on or off.

It also tells a player when a ship's crew has cleaned their deck and that ship needs to be bombed again in order to stop their whaling activities.

And, it also gives a make shift guide for the stink bomb slider which makes it easier to know how high and centered the bomb is when throwing...

Now, onto getting the whaling ships collision detection for the icebergs and the real AI for their navigation. (been running them in a circle for testing)

The screen capture software I am using slows the app down, so things move along faster in game than in the video below (especially the stink bomb slider).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LeGugusse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2018 14:44
That's great!
Impressive!
Cry \"Havoc!\" and let slip the dogs of war
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2018 23:28
Looks cool...
And i completely understand get it from wip state
I used to do to large projects before that pretty much never left wip state and then i got bored
Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2018 14:18 Edited at: 12th Jan 2018 14:25
@ LeGugusse
THANKS!

@ Cliff
I get bored even on small projects and I hop back and forth between them.

I am currently taking a break from this one while I code for the contest at syntaxbomb.com

The deadline for that is in about a week, so I will be back to this project (and my steganography) soon.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2018 15:08
Iam trying to get back in the groove again after 3-4 years of no coding..
i think i made a small chip 8 emulator as open sorce somewhere in the middle i posted here at the forum.
I got the news they are shutting down the factory where i works so should get the time for some coding again
Doing some small simple apps is pretty fun actually
Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 01:53 Edited at: 27th Jan 2018 02:58
Quote: "I got the news they are shutting down the factory where i works so should get the time for some coding again"

Sorry to hear that, and I hope you find other employment without delay.

I wanted to let you guys know that I will be making these game assets (ships) available at the TGCStore.

You can find the Trimaran at the TGC Store now, so let me know what you think about it, thanks.

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 04:02
Looks interesting (something different which is a good thing!) and the music is awesome.

The only thing that disappointed me is I was really hoping you had made all of your ships in code from primitives. I know you said you made a fleet of 3D models but hey I still hoped. lol
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 14:46
Quote: "I was really hoping you had made all of your ships in code from primitives."

I have not played around with making 3d models in code yet, but I should.

I guess I could make each one as its own function and then sell the code instead of selling a model.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:34:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:34:21