Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / This guy made a lot of money releasing cheap games on Steam

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 04:58 Edited at: 25th Oct 2017 05:01
Article in Rock Paper Shotgun about a guy who made simple games, released them on Steam and have sold over 500k so far.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/18/secrets-of-the-developer-who-sold-half-a-million-videogames-youve-never-heard-of-on-steam/

According to him there are two reasons for his success:
1. Don't oversell your game in the description.
2. Support Steam's features, the more the better.

I think this is a good reason why AppGameKit should have Steam API commands so we can have achievements, cloud saves and leaderboards. The first two being recommended by Steam for all games.

Trading cards are based on play time so you don't need to access the API.
Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 05:23
I agree but AppGameKit is still missing many things unfortunately.
I love my Altair 8800 Replica.

http://altairclone.com/
DaRealWAZY
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a question that can be related to this, but doesn't AppGameKit support plugins? couldn't someone make a plugin with the steam api to use with AppGameKit? and to that purpose make plugins that add the features that are missing? or am I incorrect?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 05:59
Quote: "I agree but AppGameKit is still missing many things unfortunately."

I don't think it's missing many things. I would be very happy with Steam API commands. The games this guy made shouldn't be a problem to do in AGK.

Quote: "Just a question that can be related to this, but doesn't AppGameKit support plugins? couldn't someone make a plugin with the steam api to use with AppGameKit?"

Yes, someone could write a plugin that integrates with the Steam API. I get a headache just looking at it though.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "and to that purpose make plugins that add the features that are missing?"

It should be possible to do, yes. But we must also keep in mind that AppGameKit remains closed source so existing commands can't readily be altered to enhance directly. I haven't worked with the Steam API yet to know how such limitations may affect integrating achievements as a plugin.

Since AppGameKit is officially on Steam and therefore implements the baseline Steam API already, and since it already includes native achievement commands for GameCenter (iOS and Android) I feel it is still a feature best added natively by TGC. It does not seem particularly difficult, a simple 10 minute tutorial on doing so in C++ can be found in the official tutorials.

The most difficult aspect is that to work with achievements and such the user must already be a Steamworks partner with an approved app and app ID. This was very difficult during the Greenlight phase and I haven't researched it recently to see if it remains a difficult (or expensive) task or not. I do have one pending AppGameKit app approved on Steam so if I ever have the chance I wouldn't mind diving into testing a plugin solution myself but it may be awhile.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 09:31 Edited at: 25th Oct 2017 09:31
I don't think you need to even be logged in to read the documentation and I don't think you need more than a regular Steam account to download the SDK.

Link to docs: https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/home

These days anyone can release a game on Steam by paying $100 and filling out the paperwork. You are refunded the whole amount when your game hits $1000 in sales.
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 10:09
Yes AppGameKit needs Steam integration, there is a test game ID steam provides I think it's called spacewars if anyone needs to test without having an app on the store.

I think some luck is also involved in those 500k sales, it's flappy bird syndrome... right place right time. I'd love to earn 100-200k a year from a handful of games I spend a few weeks on each.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 10:15
Quote: "I think some luck is also involved in those 500k sales, it's flappy bird syndrome... right place right time."

Hard to say. Flappy bird made way more than that, and it was all thanks to streamers playing the game. This guy seems to be benefiting from Steams current discovery system.
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 10:58
I think ppl are more likely to spend a $1 on a game, for example I sold a bunch of PUBG items I didn't even know I had the other day and made almost $5, that's $5 I have in my steam wallet now that I don't really care about and would not have an issue impulse buying a game for a dollar or 2. So there is an economy around the $1 games but I think you still need a good-enough product to make bank.

Not to get into the numbers as I don't know if steam lets us discuss these, my latest game Santa's workshop was released 3 days ago in the last 7 days it's had almost 700k impressions and almost 5000 store page visits but sales are still in single digits. Right now I am not too bothered as its October and its a xmas themed game, but I do wonder if things would be vastly different right now if the game was a $1.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 11:02 Edited at: 25th Oct 2017 11:03
My game has only one post on the community page, and it's about achievements. There are games out there there that are basically achievement farmers. People like their achievements and I wish I could offer them too.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 12:30
Quote: "You are refunded the whole amount when your game hits $1000 in sales."

can you tell us how well your game "rush to adventure" is selling at steam in money or count since public?

Quote: " I feel it is still a feature best added natively by TGC."

agree
i not having a game for steam market yet but steam was always worth a consideration because his worldwide users/gamer.
AGK (Steam) V2017.09.25 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.9.3) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS High Sierra (10.13)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 12:36
Quote: "can you tell us how well your game "rush to adventure" is selling at steam in money or count since public?"

Sadly only 40 copies sold so far. Lack of marketing is probably the biggest reason, it is really hard to get noticed these days since about 500 games are now released each month on Steam. I know there are people out there who would enjoy the game (people love it at conventions) but reaching them is difficult.
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 13:03
DA that's far far lower than I expected, I know you've worked on it for years and it shows. It might be a slow burner, have you tired a flash sale 75% off for a week to test the market would see if price is a factor. I know the winter sale is coming up might be a good time then?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 13:11
Quote: "It might be a slow burner, have you tired a flash sale 75% off for a week to test the market would see if price is a factor."

Yeah, price is definitely a factor as well. I know there are people willing to pay $10 or even $15. But I got almost 500 wishlists so I know people are waiting for sales.

I don't think running a 75% off sale after only a month is a good thing, or even fair to those who paid full or 10% off. There are loads of sales coming so we will see what happens.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 14:40
Quote: "Lack of marketing is probably the biggest reason, "

i remember someone from blitzbasic forum, he get noted because his game was part of a gaming magazine and it was at cover page.
sure the other millions of games are also a big factor.
i think its not the price. (~ midday meal at McDonald's here)
from google play store i know that your own games from past also a big marketing factor is because people look what else the developer have made.
i saw also that games make in game adverts for other company games.

Quote: "only 40 copies sold so far."

but if you sell it continuous over a year it is a month salary at my calculations.
if you have 12 games there you are entirely independent in theory.

Quote: "I don't think running a 75% off sale after only a month is a good thing, or even fair to those who paid full"

agree

AGK (Steam) V2017.09.25 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.9.3) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS High Sierra (10.13)
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 15:10
Why not create games / apps that are the top of leaderboards these days - These are Educational apps with the top pays / downloads at the moment and as been quite some time

D
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 15:31
TGC invested heavily in educational apps and it was not a success. Like all other genres, you are still fighting to be seen amongst thousands of other apps.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 15:31
Quote: "These days anyone can release a game on Steam by paying $100 and filling out the paperwork. You are refunded the whole amount when your game hits $1000 in sales."

You would think that Steam has made enough money so far to give up this greedy Apple method of charging for the opportunity to make them money.

GooglePlay has it right, no cost up front and get it on the back end, so more developers can participate, and more games brought to market, and more sales and more happy consumers for having more options.

Paying to partner with a distributor to distribute a game before the sale is kind of like an actor paying to go to an audition, ridiculous.

I have the product, you have the method of distribution, lets work together to make a sale and then split the profits.

Just a personal hang up, but this is why I do not participate at Steam, Apple, or other distributors who are multi billion dollar organizations wanting upfront money from indie developers programming in their bedroom and eating mac & cheese as a main course.

Quote: "
but if you sell it continuous over a year it is a month salary at my calculations.
if you have 12 games there you are entirely independent in theory."

Once again, I have to agree with the wisdom of Markus.

Quantity is as important as quality when it comes to selling if your sales are trickling starting out because you lack the funds for proper advertising.

I am in the same boat as many people here with trickling sales, and it is my own fault for not completing more projects.

There is at least one developer I know of using AppGameKit who claims to have thousands of dollars of revenue each month from his games.

He uses in game ads, and has hundreds of game titles, and I think the quantity of games is the key since the ads don't really pay a lot on a small scale.

His advice was to reinvest your profits in advertising the game until you have enough users to earn decently from that title, then advertise your other titles.

Once he had many users for each of the hundreds of games, then the money added up and was rolling in.

Quote: "I think this is a good reason why AppGameKit should have Steam API commands so we can have achievements, cloud saves and leaderboards. The first two being recommended by Steam for all games."

I agree that these would be excellent additions to AppGameKit, but....

Quote: "couldn't someone make a plugin with the steam api to use with AppGameKit? "

That seems to be a better way to approach this.

That way, people familiar with the Steam API can add this functionality for those Steam users who need it, and Paul can continue to work on core features that affect everyone.

Just my two cents, so please feel free to disagree as I am sure many of you do.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 15:42
I attended Sweden Game Conference last week and got some potential connections there. We will see. There's a chance I get offered a job as a system developer next week.

Quote: "but if you sell it continuous over a year it is a month salary at my calculations."

Most of the sales were from the first week.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 15:47
Quote: "Paying to partner with a distributor to distribute a game before the sale is kind of like an actor paying to go to an audition, ridiculous."

Well, I think it is because they want to try to stem the flow of less than wanted games.

Another thing with Steam is that you can create tons of keys and sell them through other stores. Then Steam is just acting as a host because they won't make any money on those keys.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 16:29
Quote: "Most of the sales were from the first week."

thats sad but i think its because it got invisible
or steam said it was 40 copies but in real they sold 40000 and get the money
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 16:49 Edited at: 25th Oct 2017 16:50
Quote: "or steam said it was 40 copies but in real they sold 40000 and get the money"

lol
I have often wondered about that with Google too.

It would be really easy for any distributor to fudge with the sales numbers, as long as they are adjusting it accordingly to the feedback and other stats from the consumers.

I guess if the app created a unique user ID and accessed a counter on your own server, then you could keep tabs on them and know exactly how many people were using it.

Bootlegged copies would be getting counted on the server too, unless that user ID was tied to the distributor download, then you could validate their sales numbers.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 17:16
@Conjured Entertainment good idea
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 17:24
Quote: "Bootlegged copies would be getting counted on the server too, unless that user ID was tied to the distributor download, then you could validate their sales numbers."

How would you tie the user ID to the distributor? I generate a unique ID for each person that downloads it but that ID gets applied to everyone regardless of where they've downloaded it from. I'd love to restrict it to Play Store customers only, at least until I release it for other stores, and kill the app or block access to the online databases if they've installed it from one of the many bootleg sites it's currently sitting on.

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 17:42 Edited at: 25th Oct 2017 17:44
As the ole saying goes - if put heart and sole into anything -anything can be achieved.

ok AppGameKit Tier1 doesnt have the bullet physics engine - cause thats what it relies on. but no harm in having a go in Tier 1

The bullets physics is copyrighted material (i beleive for C only), and incorporating into Tier 1 is a fee, so it wasnt done.

Unless create our own. as the first point suggests - anything is not impossible if we work hard at something

EDIT: Wrong thread - sorry

D
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 19:39 Edited at: 25th Oct 2017 20:10
Quote: "How would you tie the user ID to the distributor?"

I was just spouting ideas for the thread here, and have not ever tried any of that myself.

I have never looked into any of that, and it would probably be difficult in theory, however...

Each build could be different for each distributor, so the ID would contain an identifier for which distributor it was sent from.

Then, maybe you could time stamp it when they initially run the app to create the unique user id, because most people try an app out as soon as they download it.

Then, you can match the timestamp with the record of downloads at the distributors site in the analytic section. (download management at GooglePlay)

There wouldn't need to be a concern unless the numbers are way off, but this would give you a good idea of which user ID's were valid purchases and which were bootlegs.

It would also tell you which distributor site is serving the most untrustworthy clients, because they would be the ones distributing the bootlegs.

I have never believed in chasing software pirates, because spending the time catering to paying clients is more important.

However, if you had questions about a certain distributors sales figures, then this may shed some light on the problem.

I doubt that any major distributor would risk a class action law suit by fudging the numbers, but some smaller ones might.

Quote: "
I'd love to restrict it to Play Store customers only, at least until I release it for other stores, and kill the app or block access to the online databases if they've installed it from one of the many bootleg sites it's currently sitting on."

If adding or using a feature required accessing your server, then you could flag userID's in question to block the features and not the app itself.

Then, to unlock the feature, the user might have to provide some basic non-secure info about the purchase. (with a "for your protection" or "anti-piracy" message attached)

It would only be a one time inconvenience for a valid purchaser with a good time-stamped-ID because that unique ID would never be flagged again after validation.

Any bootlegger would not have or provide the purchase info, and that ID could be permanently flagged/blocked.

Any valid purchaser would have access to getting the date and time the purchase was made for instance, where as the bootlegger would not.

As long as the unique time stamped user id being used is behind the scenes, then the bootlegger would not be able to cypher the purchase info from it.

Quote: "As the ole saying goes - if put heart and sole into anything -anything can be achieved.

EDIT: Wrong thread - sorry"

lol @ puzzler2018

I was also looking at that thread earlier, and I had to leave my computer for a few minutes while typing a response to this thread.

I came back and started reading your post and was surprised thinking "how the heck did it switch back to that thread?". lol

I had backed out to the forum and came back in before realizing I was in the right thread all along.

It's all good, anyone who has been here awhile has made that same mistake at some point, and if not they will if they hang around long enough.

Jerry McGuire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 19:42 Edited at: 25th Oct 2017 19:44
Quote: "kill the app or block access to the online databases if they've installed it from one of the many bootleg sites it's currently sitting on"

Are there really bootleg sites?! This doesn't apply to iOS, right?
Thanks to internet, the way in which black-market versions have been avoided is by requiring some "updates" (which are effectively verifications of authenticity) or an online verified authorization code. Can't you do that somehow?
iMac Book Pro, MacOS 10.12.4, Xcode 9.0.1;
iPhone 6, iOS 9.35; iPhone 5s, iOS 9.35; iPad (3rd gen), iOS 9.35;

Dell Precision T7400, Windows 7 Professional 64bit, Visual Studio Community 2015;
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 20:34 Edited at: 25th Oct 2017 20:37
Quote: "Are there really bootleg sites?!"

My app is free so it's not really bootlegging but whenever I google my app name (which I'm addicted to doing daily at the moment >.< ) I see loads of sites listing my apk. Admittedly I've not clicked on any of the sites to see if they do have the files or if it's just a link to the store etc. but if they are offering a file to download it's going to be an old version with known bugs. I guess the real problem with these sites is there's nothing to say that they haven't added malicious code to the apps.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 21:57
Quote: "It would be really easy for any distributor to fudge with the sales numbers, as long as they are adjusting it accordingly to the feedback and other stats from the consumers."

And you don't think that someone inside the company would leak that information somehow?

BTW, at least with the Steam API you can access the user's Steam name so it would be easy to make a database of all users.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 22:19
What ever you can or cant do - its important to just be able to love making the apps availabe on stores and have the experience. Taking others ideas on board is fine, but go with your gut instincts on the market place. that is currently

Games is a very competitive market place, and one thing we gotta listen to, is our customers

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 23:27 Edited at: 25th Oct 2017 23:28
@Digital Awakening, have you thought of sending your game to a lot of game streaming sites for them to play and display your game over Youtube? If you can create game keys on Steam and then send them to the game streamers for free.
Free game to play and stream. I guess you could do around 20 to 30 to start off with and see if it improves sales.

This might increase your user base for sales with the views they produce. Free advertising.

That is what I was thinking of doing with my card game I am developing.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 00:17 Edited at: 26th Oct 2017 00:28
Google adwords - you tube motorization - this is all about marketing ourselves - (which costs money) so free advertising will reduce publicity, pay that buck will get more advertising.but returns on a game will sell it in no time

Think business....

Doesnt take a monkey to realise that surely

Its whether you want to invest in your own projects or not (free gets pittence)

Thats why there are proper game engine companies that does it all for us - because we have to pay the subscription prices of them to help do our marketing for us

end of the matter really -pay the bucks to have marketing if want big bucks in return -rockstar didnt get where they are today without it

The way to look at it is - would you pay £3.99 for your game
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 01:23 Edited at: 26th Oct 2017 12:17
Quote: "Since AppGameKit is officially on Steam and therefore implements the baseline Steam API already"

Being officially on Steam and using the Steam API are 2 completely different things.

About Achievements, Trading Cards and stuff...
I know a lot of players who buy games only for their achievements and trading cards.
Some are just achievement hunters
Some buy games with easy achievements to increase their total number of Perfect Games or their Avg. Game Completion Rate on Steam
Some collect Trading Cards and buy games just for getting those
Some collect Emoticons, Profile Backgrounds or Badges

Some time ago, I published a game made with Blitzbasic on Steam
Most mails I got were about Achievements and Trading Cards, so I implemented them

http://store.steampowered.com/app/500940/GET_THE_GEMS/

Would't release a game on Steam without either one of them

Funny thing, I played Bit Blaster XL two days ago to increase my Avg. Game Completion Rate

Cheers,
PSY
PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 07:17
Quote: " have you thought of sending your game to a lot of game streaming sites for them to play and display your game over Youtube?"

Yes, so far that hasn't resulted in much content made. If you have any suggestions for where to send keys, please share

I'll be sending some keys to Twitch streamers today through a contact I got at Sweden Game Conference last week.
Richard_6
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been noticing many developers asking youtubers to review their games. That migth be another way to leverage the marketing efforts. If we develop a niche game is even easier as they want to cover everything new in the market.

So for example if you search Pixel Art games / Retro Style / RPG Retro, etc you will find a plenty of channels that might be interested to promote a new release. Some of them have more than 30,000 subscribers which seems an intersting potential.

Many Youtubers also states clearily that they accept financial aid and donations and somehow I believe the developers/publishers are their biggest sponsors.

I never tested but probably the strategy of approaching them is cheaper than advertising on the main marketplaces.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 12:13 Edited at: 26th Oct 2017 12:13
Quote: "I've been noticing many developers asking youtubers to review their games. That migth be another way to leverage the marketing efforts"

I totally agree.
If the right youtuber or twitcher plays your game, it may hype

This also is a nice article to read:
https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/marketing-your-indie-game-the-single-most-important-thing-to-learn--gamedev-7157

PSY
PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 12:15
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 13:21
Quote: "I'll be sending some keys to Twitch streamers today through a contact I got at Sweden Game Conference last week."

Twitch might be good too, I was thinking people like Vlambeer have most of their products hyped up on Youtube creating a big buzz for the games in sales, they are obviously well known now which helps

Example Youtube:

Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2017 15:46
Don't trust Rock Paper Shotgun's article.

http://steamspy.com/dev/Nickervision+Studios

Also the title is wrong in all terms.
RockPaperShotgun wrote: "Secrets of the developer who sold half a million videogames you’ve never heard of on Steam"

I think, they meant "licenced" or sold copy of games ..., but Nickervision has not half a million games in it's portfolio

The next thing is, when you game is ON SALE, or in a BUNDLE with IndieGala or BundleStar, you would "sell" as many games, but you can't trust your income. Because these bundles are sold for about 1,- $ more than 10 games sometimes.
The next thing is, you have to look into the time period. So 285.000 from 2016 to 2017 would be great, also if he only get's 7 $cents (seven) per sale. I don't know the cutoff from Bundlestars, IndieGala or so, but Steam itself is also about 30%. And some publishers have every two weeks sales.
so in the best case, he would sell 285.000 copies for 49 $cents and with 30$ cutoff, that would be ~ 100.000,- $ a year. Don't know, what about taxes and other fees. In some cases it is e.g. in Germany about 1/2, from what you sell the product on steam. If it is like on the Apple Store.

The next thing is, he made a lot of games for Android, and had his portfolio, before he was going to Steam (again).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=6267131997774354847

So after all, the first game is the hardest one. And maybe not every tiny game, where someone tries a gameplay mechanic or an algorithm has to be a Steam game. Because that is the problem with Windows-App-Store, Google Play Store, Apple App Store ... and maybe the whole internet today
It is easy to change some assets in a demo game, and publish it somehow ...

Youtube and Photograpghy also suffer from that and many blogs. So there is an overall oversaturation. Maybe we make a great game, and it will be published on the Switch or the OUYA and can stand for it's own.

It is not AppGameKit related, it is also a kind of problem with GameGuru or DarkBasic, ... Unity is suffering from the published bad games made with that

I think, building a community, and creating a valuable game, could be done without Tier-2-physics, but it will be less programming and more social communication, getting people into our games.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Sadly only 40 copies sold so far."

Sorry to hear that. It also shows how inaccurate "chart" sites like Steam Spy can be, which estimates it to have 720 players (+/- 1,409). Game marketing is tough but you've done more than even many would by going to gaming conventions and such. Still seems to have some element of luck involved with the right people discovering it at the right time and helping propel it through social media.

I've seen even well-backed professional titles end up in a real struggle for sales. Cobalt comes to mind. It was developed over the course of many years (including Jeb from Mojang/Minecraft as one of their developers). It was published and promoted by Mojang and Microsoft and released to all platforms, yet rarely saw more than 15 active users and had pretty abysmal sales overall. They stopped updating it over 18 months ago and are now working on a simplified version hoping it'll better appeal to the masses.
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2017 01:51
I really don't think google and steam "steal" our digital products. I have games on both, and i get paid.

But this thread is getting sidetracked.

AGK TIER 1 NEEDS BUILT-IN STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS.

tboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2017 13:03
Nice read, thanks for the link.

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with DA's original post - I'd love to see as many Steam features integrated into the core product (rather than relying on 3rd party plugins). Steam is such a key market for games developers that I think it should be a core feature. I can see it helping TGCs sell more copies of AppGameKit too!
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2017 16:59 Edited at: 29th Oct 2017 17:00
Quote: " It also shows how inaccurate "chart" sites like Steam Spy can be, which estimates it to have 720 players (+/- 1,409). "

723 people have downloaded the demo, maybe they are counting those?

Quote: "I can see it helping TGCs sell more copies of AppGameKit too!"

Yeah, I think so too. At least it gets easier to recommend AppGameKit to others.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "723 people have downloaded the demo, maybe they are counting those?"

Ah I forgot about the demo, that could be. Speaking of, do you know if Steam offers any analytics for publishers to determine conversion rate (how many users download a demo and then purchase the full version as a result)? That'd be an interesting figure too in assessing the worthiness of demos.

I do hope we will see Steam features integrated into AppGameKit this coming year. Now that Greenlight is retired and they are more open to anyone that wishes to publish (after a fee) I think it is very important.

Interestingly, Echoes+ (made with AppGameKit 2) integrated achievements in July. It was developed in Tier 2 but at least we know it is possible that route. To encapsulate it at least in a plugin would be handy. I will revisit this topic myself when I get around to working on the one small Steam game I got approval for if nothing has been done by then.
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 17:53
hey, Digital Awakening, i'd like to talk to you more about this Steam stuff.
can you email me at
saunders72 at hotmail dot com

Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2017 13:59 Edited at: 1st Nov 2017 14:00
IBOL wrote: "hey, Digital Awakening, i'd like to talk to you more about this Steam stuff.
can you email me at
saunders72 at hotmail dot com"

If it's of any help to anyone a chap on the Blitzmax forums R.I.P wrote a steam API wrapper, achievements worked but I don't think leaderboards ever did. https://code.google.com/archive/p/max-edit/downloads I used achievements successfully with in my Pangemic game.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 16:06 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2017 16:06
Personally, I'm still struggling with basic collision detection. My problem is that I can't detect when two objects overlap, without triggering the physics reaction, so they push each other apart. The suggested solution was some pseudo-code workaround which I never got to work.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/220241

It feels like we're existing in entirely separate universes: I want to have basic interaction implemented, while others wish for sugar-on-the-top features like Steam achievements and cloud saves!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2017 16:22
Quote: "My problem is that I can't detect when two objects overlap, without triggering the physics reaction, so they push each other apart."

I use a lot of collision detection in my game and have no problems.

Quote: "I want to have basic interaction implemented, while others wish for sugar-on-the-top features like Steam achievements and cloud saves!"

I wouldn't call it basic interaction, sounds very specific since the current collision works. Steam features isn't exactly sugar-on-the-top, it is something that concerns everyone who have or plan to release games on Steam. It's also a problem for attracting potential customers.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
I just want to detect if two objects overlap without this automatically triggering a physic reaction. You really think this is "very specific"? I mean, even something as basic as Klik & Play could do this:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3hKGu1WEAAxCj-.jpg

I'm not trying to dismiss your need for Steam achievements. Just pointing out that "It feels like we're existing in entirely separate universes"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:16:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:16:14