Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Windows / Massively Faster PC - no Performance Increase on Game?!

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
My son's just built and uber PC for me that has a much much faster CPU (must be 2-3 times faster) and the graphics card must be at least twice as fast.... yet I've just run my platform game and it runs at the same rate (about 500fps) as my previous PC. How come?!
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 23:49 Edited at: 25th Oct 2017 23:54
500 FPS! and you can't get any faster? really?

It has to be your code's logic... lol

DUDE!

Seriously though, that is way fast and I cannot image why you would need it any faster.

On a side note: Can I have your old computer?

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 08:47
You are always going to peak at a certain FPS, due to bus bandwidth rather than component quality.
If all your program did was make computations, it will be flying on the inside. But transferring data to a graphics card, from the gfx card to screen and to/from disk is time consuming.
The measure that is more relevant is how complex your game gets before the peak FPS starts to drop. It sounds like you are many thousands of lines of code away from that eventuality!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Conjured Entertainment - LOL - It's not that I'm thinking 500fps isn't fast enough...even my bionic eyes can't see 1/500th of a second even if my monitor could cope! I've been keeping an eye on the FPS as I develop to ensure it will work on lower spec'd PCs. So, when I saw no real change on a massively faster PC the alarm bells went in terms of not being able to keep an eye on increasing PC performance requirements.

BatVink - Cool - thanks for the insight. Interesting - I think I've hit that ceiling on my new PC...which means I do have to be careful as I could probably throw a tonne more computations at it which my system wouldn't sweat about BUT would pose to be an issue for lower spec'd pcs.... I'll keep testing on my previous machine. My son went to town on this PC (I had to give in to his RGB fans demand! )

On with more software installation...

Cheers guys!
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 12:06:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 12:06:30