Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Support for Oculus SDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for App Game Kit VR.
It is great that you now can also write VR Games with App Game Kit.

However, it is unfortunately a downside that the Oculus SDK is not supported.
Games that are using OpenVR are accepted by Steam, but they are automatically rejected by the official Oculus Store.

I know people who only check the Oculus Store, but rarely or never use Steam. In addition, the overall visibility of a game is better if it is also on the Oculus Store.
Could you please integrate support for the Oculus SDK ?
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 12:07
Hello smo,
The reason that OpenVR was chosen over the Oculus SDK is because OpenVR supports all major VR HMD's while the Oculus SDK only supports the Rift. While I agree that it would be good to support both SDK's, the ONLY real positive that the Oculus SDK provides is the ability to put things on the Oculus store. Oculus has just been purposefully exclusive. Anyone that refuses to look on Steam is cutting themselves off from a large selection of VR content. I am open to adding support for the Oculus SDK at some point if there is more reason to do so, but I find it hard to justify at this point.

Ron
a.k.a WOLF!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Some people invest in Rift CV1, and then limits themselves to the Oculus Store? If the OP says so, I guess it must be true, but as a VR gamer, this completely blows my mind. Still, while I hate the closed garden approach of Oculus, I agree that it would be best to be able to ship to the Oculus Store too.

How does this OpenVR work, exactly? I'm asking because when I execute an .exe made in App Game Kit VR, it opens both the Oculus client and SteamVR. Seems like an awful lot of dependencies if it should be an open platform.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2017 14:41
Quote: "How does this OpenVR work, exactly? I'm asking because when I execute an .exe made in App Game Kit VR, it opens both the Oculus client and SteamVR. Seems like an awful lot of dependencies if it should be an open platform."

What device are you using? I have a Vive and it does not trigger the Oculus client to open. I know there are some other applications (not AGKVR apps) that will trigger both SteamVR and the Oculus client to open, but I wondered if that had to do with having Revive (https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive) installed. If you have a Rift, it may be just the way the client hooks with the drivers. I'm not sure, but SteamVR is doing all of the work.
a.k.a WOLF!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay then ... yes, are using Rift CV1!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 15:37:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 15:37:41