Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / How much horse power is required by CreateObjectFromHeightMap()?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
CreateObjectFromHeightMap() is pretty fun. I'm most comfy in Photoshop, and love the ability to create actual depth using a simple image. Especially since AGK2 currently doesn't support faking depth with an image. (of course there is normal maps)

However, after having learned a bit about creating gamey stuff in Blender, I got the impression that detailed meshes are very bad and are using a lot of resources.

So is this command worth using, or is it too heavy handed? I don't use it with physics or anything.

Another question: Is there a way to measure how much horse power my game is using? The only way I can measure it currently is "does it slow down on my current rig"?
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2017 18:14
I think it's pretty speedy. You can try it yourself using the example in the folder AGK\Projects\3D\Terrain (well at least where it is on my system).
You can easily combine it with the other examples. I added a water plane, shadows and animated character and was still running fine, but was a while a go and need to test more.

basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
When I use SetObjectImage() to apply an image to CreateObjectFromHeightMap(), it doesn't look the same as if I apply an image to an ordinary plane. It is way sharper, but the details seem to he shimmering whenever it is moved. This is only visible when seen at a distance, so maybe it uses some weird interpolation?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 14:24:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 14:24:15