Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Creating Map Using 3D World Studio (or suggestions for a better program!)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 02:34
Have worked with DarkBasic Pro for 10 years now and just recently purchased AGK. Lots of cool features and commands. But I am having a tough time creating a usable map for my project. In the past I used 3d World Studio to make maps. However, it does not appear that AppGameKit supports the .dbo format, which is what I previously used with DBPro. I tried exporting the .x format which shows up fine except for the textures. I made sure to use .png textures instead of the ones that come with 3DWS. See the attached image for how the map shows up. The mapped textures don't show at all.

This is how I'm loading the map:

Ultimately I'm trying to figure out the best way to move forward. Is 3DWS usable with AppGameKit or is there a better option? What do other people use for making maps? I use blender for making models but it doesn't seem like the best tool for making maps. Any suggestions on a fix or a better program for map making is greatly appreciated!
BioFox Games

Attachments

Login to view attachments
blink0k
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 05:01
tex_stage should be 1
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 09:03
.x format is fine. You must also load the .png images to use the textures. I trust you are doing that elsewhere in your code?

Take a look at GameGuru for world building if you haven't already. There's a very neat loader available that converts GameGuru worlds into media that can be loaded with AppGameKit, and gives you some very comprehensive AppGameKit loader source code to get you started (you can pretty much build a game in GameGuru, then convert and play in AGK). Main thread is here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/216912
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 11:00
silo 2 in steam offer is nice for creating models. (46€ in offer)
to arrange this models you can make a simple level editor in agk.
shade 16 basic is also a good 3d tool.
at mac there is cheetah 3d v7.
the simplest way in world level design provide unity & unreal engine.
AGK (Steam) V2017.09.25 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : AMD (17.9.3) Radeon R7 265 : Mac mini OS High Sierra (10.13)
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 16:49
I was using 3d world studio with B3D export and I have done a b3d reader with lightmap support.

The problem is that 3d world studio no longer works for me on Windows 7/8/10. In a WinXP VM, 3D libs doesn't seem to work correctly.

So I'm using DeleD3D CE as a replacement of 3D World Studio (still using my B3D AppGameKit lib to support lightmaps) .
--------------------------------
Join us on dedicated AppGameKit WeeKChat :
https://week.chat/room/AppGameKit
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2017 18:41 Edited at: 17th Nov 2017 18:42
I don't know if this is of any use, but for terrains in Blitz3d I really liked Earthsculptor.
http://www.earthsculptor.com/
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Serious question: Why is it that you can't use Blender here? (Being a Blender newbie, I'm interested in knowing the program's limitations)
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2017 22:16
I wouldn't know why not.
As long as one can export to a supported format and if the format's interpretations are compatible with each other.
Sometimes application developer have different interpretations of formats specs or they may not support certain features of the format in full.
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Hope there is a pipeline for any 3d tools especially blender that can export to AGK2, and load in AGK2 without texturing all meshes by hand.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2017 23:01 Edited at: 18th Nov 2017 23:35
Quote: " I tried exporting the .x format which shows up fine except for the textures."

Quote: "This is how I'm loading the map:
if tex>0 then setobjectimage(id,tex,tex_stage)
"

I load the texture on the object's mesh not the object
SetObjectMeshImage( objID, meshIndex, imageID, textureStage )

Here is how I load an X file that I made in fragMOTION ...

Of course the UV Mapping is done in fragMOTION too, and the PNG texture is in the same game media folder as the X file.

This example is a simple object without animations, like your map X file

Maybe the map should be built from multiple objects for an elaborate set up.

Then, you could have a multidimensional array set up for the placement of the objects to create the map.

Quote: "Take a look at GameGuru for world building if you haven't already. There's a very neat loader available that converts GameGuru worlds into media that can be loaded with AppGameKit, and gives you some very comprehensive AppGameKit loader source code to get you started (you can pretty much build a game in GameGuru, then convert and play in AGK)."

That is probably your best bet, if you don't want to do it manually.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
LillyByte
Years of Service
User Offline
If you're looking for a really good and affordable world/land generator...

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/

~~ LillyByte ~~
http://www.dymoria.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:33:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:33:29