Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Got AGK2 app running on Ubuntu 16.04, but not Ubuntu Server 16.04

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2017 13:50
HI again, yes, I am posting a lot today :-P

I got my small server app running on a laptop with Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 today, so I moved on to my Ubuntu Server 16.04, installed a desktop and then all the dependencies from this link https://techpromad.wordpress.com/2016/07/18/getting-appgamekit-to-run-its-game-executables-on-ubuntu-16-04/

Also, I needed to install libopenal-dev which is not mentioned in the link. I can help if someone else wants to run AGK2 apps on Ubuntu Desktop 16.04.

Anyways, when doing all this on the server, the app still doesn't run, and there are no error messages when trying to open the app. Does anybody know if more packages are required to be installed when running on Ubuntu Server?
13/0
Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2017 22:01 Edited at: 27th Nov 2017 22:04
I wouldn't try to use AppGameKit as server software outside of a LAN situation. Thing is, you can't run AppGameKit headless, and servers for rent are all headless. For multiplayer-game over internet, your best bet is to read up on websockets and write the server app in a more suitable language like Go, Python, C# or even Java (if you like hurting yourself).

Now you could run your own server at home (or piggy-back off some office IT infrastructure you got admin access to) and use AppGameKit for the server app, do all the port-forwarding and hook up a UPS to the server and modem - and have a DNS point to your outbound IP. A Raspberry Pi 3 will do fine for limited traffic. But on that, you don't need any special server version of the OS. Ordinary Raspbian Pixel will do fine. Just as on an AMD64/x86 Ubuntu box, regular plain vanilla Ubuntu will do just fine.
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2017 10:08
As far as I know, I can disable graphics display in an AppGameKit app and then just get console output, that should do just fine but I was hoping for a quick solution, for now, just to get things up and running and then develop a better server app at a later point.
13/0
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2017 16:19
To run AppGameKit on a server use the Tier 2 project template_linux_console which will run without any graphics. In theory you could use the same approach to create a console version of the Tier 1 interpreter but I've not tried it.
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2017 08:59
Thank you Paul! I will try this
13/0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:41:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:41:38