Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Has anyone made an app rather than a game with AGK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

I bought AppGameKit a couple of weeks ago, running through some tutorials etc. Learning seems to be going okay but I have a looooong way to go lol.

Anyways I was wondering if people have made apps with AppGameKit rather than games?

Thanks.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 08:59
Yes we sure have. We created the UK's most successful Driving Test App with AppGameKit:

Driving Test Success
Development Director
TGC Team
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 09:01
I started to make a photo app where I could Take a picture, then automatically upload it to my website, whilst populating various metadata such as location (acquired via a google maps GPS reverse lookup to get a location name), date etc.

But as with so many of my projects, I just kinda gave up after the first step.
Click here for VR Legend of Zelda stuff
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 09:31
Best Night Light from Warriors of the Cucumber was created with AppGameKit: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.warriorsoftheucumber.bnl
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 10:45 Edited at: 5th Dec 2017 10:46
I have: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/220652

It uses http data, QR codes, it has custom UI elements like sliders, toggle buttons, alert messages with multiple buttons, and scrolling windows and menus. It does have one scene which has a game feel to it where you pick from random cards.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 14:22 Edited at: 11th Dec 2017 22:54
Yes, I have created an application for steganography, which you can learn more about in the Geek Culture forum.

I made a quick little QR reader/coder based on the AppGameKit example. (still a WIP)

I also made a chess timer for chess players playing face to face on real boards, which is used by gamers but is not a game itself.

I plan on working on the steganography app for another year or two, so I have high hopes for that one.

If you look at the list of commands in the manual, then you will soon realize that while this software was developed for game creation, it is certainly not limited to game creation.

EDIT

Model Viewer CE

That is another one, and I admit that it is very basic, but it might come in handy for some people.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 15:01 Edited at: 5th Dec 2017 15:01
As well as Best Night Light, which CJB mentioned earlier, we've also published a couple of other apps written with AGK

Best QR - A handy app to read and create QR codes from your mobile
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.warriorsofthecucumber.bestqr

Percentage Resolution Tool - A tool designed to help people using AGK's percentage resolution system quickly and easily convert pixel values to percentages and back.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.warriorsofthecucumber.prt
matt20687
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, I am going to keep going through the tutorials and hopefully I will pick things up a bit more.
I would like to make a basic app or game to get me started, no preference to android or Windows. Just not sure where to start lol
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 22:58
Is not much difficult to code a template App style, with a left menu onSlide and using some material style like for elements and views. And just download an update a single txt file with the latest news from any php source. Cache topics apart.

I'm planning to integrate AGK2 with the core restful Drupal services, to do something like this, sounds more than possible using the json lib, loading the items and parsing them like any native application is doing actually.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 10th Dec 2017 11:36 Edited at: 10th Dec 2017 11:47
Quote: "Anyways I was wondering if people have made apps with AppGameKit rather than games?"

I have concentrated on games
========================
But I have made a level editor to help with games layout.
Im Currently working on a path editor for a more realistic movement in games (including paths and bezier curves)
Joke and quote telling apps
instrument playing ones

there is many apps you could make ie painting software, picture software etc

before you delve into something usually its easier to make test apps that just test individual things you may wish to do

Goodluck and Welcome to AGK
fubar
Richard_6
Years of Service
User Offline
A path editor is all I need for now. I'd pay for it! Hope you release soon fubarpk!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 09:06
Quote: "A path editor is all I need for now. I'd pay for it! Hope you release soon fubarpk!"

https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/221096
fubar
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 00:58
I make small custom apps for my job all the time. AGK2 is so easy for rapid prototyping. Some of them include: building web pages from data dumps, planning seating charts for children's performances, silent auction management, auto-printing fancy customer receipts for season orders, and many more! But I really enjoy working on games too!
CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 02:15
Drunken Heroes kind of blurs the line between game and app... Does that count?
Help out a fellow dev! Download and rate my games! They're free!

Wizzed Off! - (Android) (iOS)
God of Thunder - (Android) (iOS)
Extreme Lawn Mowing - (Android) (iOS)
Drunken Heroes - (Android) (iOS)

And you can get Fluffy Knuckleduster merchandise at our new store!
Westa
Years of Service
User Offline
The biggest limitation for APP development in AppGameKit is the lack of native GUI elements. But it you roll your own GUI then it works quite nicely as a rapid prototype tool.

Westa
Kot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2018 23:15 Edited at: 4th Jan 2018 23:15
I'd like to develop an app for hiking, but it lacks GPS commands except the most basic
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2018 09:21
Quote: " it lacks GPS commands except the most basic"

You could use googles maps API, passing in the current gps location. I plan to do this on a photo app I'd like to make.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Kot wrote: "I'd like to develop an app for hiking, but it lacks GPS commands except the most basic"

Did you saw these commands?

GetRawGPSAltitude ()
GetRawGPSLatitude ()
GetRawGPSLongitude ()

What else do you need?
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
PauloLaureano
Years of Service
User Offline
I made a companion App for "The resistance: Avalon":
http://pls.mrnet.pt/Downloads/avalon/resistance-avalon-board-game.php

My personal wishes regarding AGK:

- get the record sound commands working, I need them...

- Would love to have some sort of oop support (i.e. addiong methods to types) on tier 1... even if stuff like private/public methods/variables were left out for simplicity sake. I get that btier one is meant to be as basic as possible. But... but oop could be a second step for people learning the basic dialect.

- a better mix of tier 1 and tier 2 using an "eval" for scripts (on tier 2) on the templates and extend the language with less hacking around the exposed agk commands to tier 1 (instead of calling everything prefixed with the agk:: in c++). Something like 'extern "source.cpp"' (or library if you want to skip the compilation and calling them instead of the source code) on tier 1 and being able to then call (exposing) whatever functions are there (created in tier 2). There is so much C/C++ code out there that would become instantly usable on tier 1... obviously integration with c++ libs would be a lot easier in there was opp in tier 1, but hey, I would be glad to just have a quick interface for c functions.

I like basic dialects, I like using them, teaching people to use them, but I don't think the current formula is the best it could be. Some stuff ends up being easier to use on tier 2, and it would be a lot more productive to have have a simple way of exposing them to tier 1. The lack of oop is not a feature. Again some stuff is a lot simpler to code with using oop.

My impression is that agk does what it says in the tin. It's worth the money it costs. But it could improve, and hopefully it will. Pretty pleased with it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:28:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:28:53