Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Tier 1] How to design a big scrolling playfield?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 19:47 Edited at: 11th Dec 2017 19:49
I want to create a mobile game with a vertically scrolling playfield, like in OsWALD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtktP1rqaSQ

I want to design the level, not just throw stuff in at random. Actually, I never really tried doing that before. Any hints on how I should approach it?
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 05:25
Below is a link to my platform editor it was designed with that in mind aswell
by changing the maximum height and maximum width its easy enuff to use for that style of game too
just replace tiles with a copy of the sprites you wish to use
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219932
fubar
tmu
Years of Service
User Offline
If you want to do fully predesigned levels, you can pick up something like the tiled level editor and use that to design all the levels. Then matching sprites to put on the screen as the player moves on the level.

But I would guess something like the Oswald you linked would not be made like that. Rather track the player progress and put different types of items on the screen depending on how far he is.

Anyway, depends on what types of levels you want. Fully manually designed, always the same, ends somewhere. First option. Never-ending with variation, second option. Or mix however you like.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 21:32:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 21:32:17