Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TheGameCreators.com

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Curious if anyone knows what CMS they're using for TheGameCreators.com. It's darn fast and I love the look of the site. Obviously that would be a theme but still. Anyone know?
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Definitely not Wordpress. My guess is handcoded with the help of some frameworks like Bootstrap.
Running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 8 GB ram, Athlon II X2 255, ATI Radeon HD 4200. Using AGK2 Tier 1.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2018 14:54
From what I understand it's all in home. I know Richard Davey wrote the forum originally and The Next is adding and tweaking things as forums modernise. The rest of the site I would imagine is the same. I guess the advantage of doing it yourself versus a CMS, you can make it less bloated.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2018 00:18
Pretty sure it's all in-house, just like the forum.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2018 04:37
Self made, best made. That's why we're all here right?
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Christian Wheel
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys.
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2018 08:13
I am surprised we haven’t had anyone ask yet, usually someone is interested in digging around and finding out more about things work, I know I always am.

All the TGC sites are custom written using Laravel as the framework, this is done mostly because the sites have some requirements that couldn’t be fulfilled, at least well, by WordPress or other CMS. But also Laravel offers a very fast and secure platform to start any development and by pulling in dependencies you can get almost any feature you need.

The forums used to be custom written in PHP by Richard as mentioned above, without any framework. However they were very outdated and written before even PHP5 was a thing. Over the last few years have been also migrated to Laravel to take advantage of its features.

I am here always updating things to make them run smoother and faster.

As for the themes used they are all custom but we always start with Bootstrap 3 as a starting point.

Any other questions let me know.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2018 00:37
I've never seen Laravel before, but it seems cool. If I ever found myself looking to get into PHP, it would be something I'd checkout. I am currently using Express, as I use JS a lot, I've stuck to something that uses JS.

To the OP: I think if you're willing to put in a bit of coding effort, I think many frameworks help streamline things so much they make a good alternative to a CMS, especially as CMS's carry a lot of bloat and is where you're likely finding the speed difference. Then add that many frameworks offer scaffolding options (like Yeoman), which makes the process quicker/easier as they generate code for you. I personally prefer to learn from the ground up and not rely on scaffolding as I prefer to understand why stuff works when I make it, rather than make it work and then later learn why. And bootstrap is wonderful, without any design or CSS skills your site is clean and looking great, and it is extremely useful and flexible if you do have said skills.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 17:44
We use Laravel at my current company, too, and I feel that it has too much overhead. If I were to learn a PHP framework from scratch nowadays I'd check out CodeIgniter. There's no messing around with Apache required, and you just unzip into a directory and go from there. It's pretty powerful!
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2018 12:40
I think most frameworks have too much overhead. Heck, even jquery adds a lot for what minimal features most people use it for.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 11:40
If used in the right situations frameworks have their place, Laravel is very well optimized for the number of features it provides. If you are not going to make use of them then you are probably better with something a bit more lightweight, but the TGC sites (not necessarily bits you can see) do make use of most of them so in this case it was the best tool for the job.

CodeIgniter looks interesting from the little i have seen I may dive a bit deeper when I have the time.

As for jQuery it was great a few years ago when you had to deal with large variations in the way the browsers treated JavaScript, however this is greatly improving and frameworks such as jQuery are not really needed in the vast number of cases.
Windows 10, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2018 17:02
That being said, jQuery was sure a godsend when it was released. It blew my mind!
Senior Software Engineer - RotoGrinders

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:58:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:58:14