Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Anyway to prevent 'Android native EditBox' to show up on my mobile app for any EditBoxes that show on the lower-mid part to bottom part of the screen?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone!

Just a quick question; I'm using some very basic code to just show EditBoxes on the screen. I've got 6 of them for the user of my app to input some information.
My test phone is the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. Apparently any EditBoxes below a certain Y position, in portrait mode, will create a different EditBox on mid-screen. This one is a lot smaller to read though, which makes it kind of annoying that 'default EditBox' pops up for user input. I would prefer to just have the text be written in the EditBox, as they are for any Y positions above around 400 pixels (so, any Y position between 0 and 400, top part of the screen).

This default EditBox pop up from either Android or Samsung's keyboard thing is useful for any EditBoxes that would be covered by the on-screen Android/Samsung touch keyboard. I get why this pop-up exists, but in my case the EditBoxes are all above the Android keyboard when it is on screen. And I would prefer users to scroll down a list of even more EditBoxes anyway, so any things they would input data into would be in view anyway.

Is there are way to block Android from opening a pop up default EditBox??

(PS. I can add images of what happens if necessary, but it seems to happen to really any EditBox created at higher Y positions, ie. lower parts of my screen)
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Just in case others are wondering, but apparently:

SetEditBoxUseAlternateInput(editboxID, 0 )

can be set to prevent Android's alternative input when the virtual keyboard would cover the actual EditBox. Of course, it does require you to manually program something that checks whether the EditBox is in view high enough not be covered. Well, at least I'm glad it exists, because I have yet to find a way of overwriting the alternative input text size and box size to something people can read lol. (No offense, but on my Galaxy Note 8, the alternative editbox that pops up is super tiny...)

Anyway, my question pretty much is answered I guess. Happy coding

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:27:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:27:24