Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Are you using external Animation Editors or Level Designer? Like "Creature" or "R.U.B.E." / or Spine, Spriter, Tilemap

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2018 21:23 Edited at: 20th Jan 2018 11:41
Hello dear AppGameKit users,

lately I had to reinstall all my software on my computer and also reactivating some license and I discovered, that I have

http://creature.kestrelmoon.com/

Creature is a little bit like Spine, but it can export to FBX. Last time I tried, the FBX had some transparency issues, but the animation was solid. But Creature also offers C++ libs. (maybe we will see sometime native support in AppGameKit like with Spine and Spriter)

https://www.iforce2d.net/rube/

iforced2D RUBE is an Box2D Editor, but can also be used as a "Level" editor, I think. It can export as JSON. So it could be easy to implement, since AppGameKit supports JSON and Box2D.

The next question would be, if we could do some easy tutorials or "Demos", with animations, backdrops, levels, etc. but maybe a little bit more advanced. Like integration AppGameKit in a pipeline or workflow.

I think Blendman uses Blender and creates 3D graphics rendered on 2D PNGs and uses AppGameKit more in a 2D way. But he also developed some own tools.

I am trying to get two thinks done the last month:
- a 3D object pipeline, from nothing to a 3D game with AGK
- a 2D game with the feeling of depth and animations (Spriter, Spine, Creature) all of the 2D Skeleton Animations are not natively supported the latest feautures of the animation editors, so I can't do all kinds of animations like mesh deformation.

In 2D I am also missing commands for Skin-Changing, and Asset-Flipping or Attachments, I could make to a Skeleton. So having a Character with a Hat e.g. or a Weapon and change this to another kind of thing is comlicated. It's easy in 3D with FixObjectToObject and such things.

So which workflows do you use? Are you did something with the new "Visual Editor", have you your own tools? Are you using the GameGuru Loader most of the time?

Would be interesting to here and maybe we could help eachother out with some tutorials (maybe on YouTube)
LillyByte
Years of Service
User Offline
I would be using Sprite Pro for 2D animation in AppGameKit, but the Z depth for skeleton is broken, so it's only useful if the z-depth of your skeleton has to change. But, for 3D, I use Akeytsu and MODO for 3D and animation... pretty much any 3D software that exports FBX will work for animation with AGK. For 3D my pipeline for almost anything is Nvil -> MODO -> 3D Coat -> Import to Engine.

As for the Visual Editor, I do not like the Visual Editor, I feel like that was the only DLC ever made for AppGameKit that was not even worth a fraction of its price.
~~ LillyByte ~~
http://www.dymoria.com
Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2018 08:31
Hi Xaby

I don't know why you don't have lots of answers, because your questions are very importants !

Quote: "I think Blendman uses Blender and creates 3D graphics rendered on 2D PNGs and uses AppGameKit more in a 2D way. But he also developed some own tools."

Yes, you' re right, but only for games wich need 3D rendering (so for my 2D isometric games) :

I) 2D games

I.1) 2D game with 2D image : drawing or vector image

1) I create Artwork
- A simple paper and my criterium to draw the line (artwork)
- I use photoshop (I've a licence) or Rebelle (I've got a licence too) for the colors

2) drawing the assets
- I create the characters in part generally in photoshop (or another graphic tool)

3) Animation
- generally I use Spriter for 2D animation

Example of 2D game with 2D drawing (teo &loli adventures) :
(character made in photoshop and animated in spriter)

I.2) 2D game with 3D rendering as image

1) I create Artwork, then Modelsheet for the characters or house/rocks/trees/plants/vehicles/ennemies...

- A simple paper and my criterium to draw the line
- I use photoshop (I've a licence) or Rebelle (I've got a licence too) for the colors

A model sheet (an ennemy) for my game Arkeos Chronicle :

Some artworks for my game Arkeos Chronicle :

2) Then, when I 'm ok with my artwork, it's time to create the 3D :

Model3D / Shader/texture/rendering
- I use Blender to create the 3D model (with or without modelsheet, but it's better with)
- I use Blender for the shaders/material/textures. Textures are empty or photos or drawing I've made.
- Rendering : blender internal renderer (I don't use cycle for the moment for my rendering, maybe in next project). : always the same lightaing and scene environnement. Rendering with shadow and alpha background.

A test render for my game Arkeos Chronicle :

- Animation :
- I use blender for rigging and animation too. I use sometimes "Rigify" whch is amazing . (for rigging), or one of my premade armature with my animation library (it's quicker).
I want to create a 3Dmodel+animation in 2 to 4 hours !
- I save the animation (8frames in general by direction so 64 images (8directions)) in png RGBA

3) Spritesheet :
- I use my old tool (spritesheetmaker) to create the spritesheet (here is a robot from my game Towerbots) :

4) Level editor :
- To create my map, I have developped my own level editor. I use it a lot on all my game (Arkeos, FightFortress, moonkiroe, clash of bots...)

A video of this level editor :
(https://youtu.be/LdX6I7J5RFI)

Quote: "- a 3D object pipeline, from nothing to a 3D game with AGK"

1) I create Artwork, then Modelsheet for the characters or house/rocks/trees/plants/vehicles/ennemies...

same as for 2D isometric.

2) the 3D : Model3D / Shader/texture// rig/ animation / rendering

same as for 2D isometric : blender for all
export in : obj, x, dae (anim)

3) 3D level editor
- age3D / agk
- deled
- blender (with python script)

Quote: "- a 2D game with the feeling of depth and animations (Spriter, Spine, Creature) all of the 2D Skeleton Animations are not natively supported the latest feautures of the animation editors, so I can't do all kinds of animations like mesh deformation."

For that, you have to export your animation in spritesheet, like i do (you can do it in spriter)

Quote: "In 2D I am also missing commands for Skin-Changing, and Asset-Flipping or Attachments, I could make to a Skeleton. So having a Character with a Hat e.g. or a Weapon and change this to another kind of thing is comlicated. It's easy in 3D with FixObjectToObject and such things."

I agree, in 2D (with spriter/spine or a spritesheet), it's not as easy as in 3D ^^.

Quote: "So which workflows do you use? "

see my previous explications

Quote: "Are you did something with the new "Visual Editor"?"

not for the moment

Quote: "Have you your own tools? "

yes, a lot of tools :

- 2D painting software (purebasic) :

- spritesheetmaker / menumaker (purebasic)

- png reduction (color & alpha color - purebasic) :

- 3D level editor (agk) :

My open-source tools (https://github.com/blendman/) :
- Cartoon 2D vecto (purebasic)

- sprite animation (not finished - purebasic)

- Age2D (agk - not finished) :

Quote: "Are you using the GameGuru Loader most of the time?"

not for the moment.

I hope this help.
AGK2 tier1 - http://www.dracaena-studio.com
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2018 19:40
@Blendman,

your tool look great. I am hoping, someday we could use all tools together and make some community tutorials. So AppGameKit (and or PureBasic) got more attention.

Thanks for sharing your workflow. Are you planing to publish your tools or your games? And do you maybe thing of the OUYA as platform?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:09:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:09:59