Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Linux]Ubuntu 17.10 AGK apps won't run

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2018 15:03 Edited at: 20th Jan 2018 15:19
Been happily using Ubuntu 16.04 and AppGameKit for a while on my laptop - and now just built myself a new desktop - and using Ubuntu 17.10 on it (until 18.04 is released).

AGK itself runs perfectly fine - compilation of apps works fine. But it won't run the apps. Nothing happens whatsoever. Not even an error message. So I'm missing some kind of dependency somewhere, but what?!

Also, and a bit of a different issue... How do I get the AppGameKit launcher/shortcut onto the Dock/Favourites in Ubuntu 17.10/Gnome. In 16.04/Unity it was easy enough.

How about releasing future versions of AppGameKit on linux in some nice packaged format. Plenty of options exists these days...

Running from terminal I get this:

error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

edit: needed dependencies:

tried this:

sudo apt-get install libxxf86vm1:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libopenal1:i386 libssl1.0.0:i386

but no dice...

edit2:

OK, it seems this is a problem with the Wayland windows manager. It works when logging into a Xorg session. Gah, driving me nuts. I need beer, brb!

Dybing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2018 17:00 Edited at: 21st Jan 2018 17:02
OK, a bit of fiddling later. I've ditched Wayland as my default login with 17.10, and sticking to X-Org, which also allows me to use the nVidia proprietary driver. Another reason not to use Wayland besides AppGameKit incompatibility.

As for my other niggle, was the lack of getting AppGameKit on the dock or dash or whatever it is called. Figured that out as well after a lot of fiddling, and here is the recipe:

1: Open your favourite terminal-emulator, may I suggest terminator, and navigate to $HOME/.local/share/applications/
2: Now create an empty file named geany64.desktop, using 'touch geany64.desktop' in the terminal
3: Edit file using nano (or better yet micro) so it contains this:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=AGK
GenericName=AGK IDE
Comment=App Game Kit
Exec=/home/{your user name here}/AGKLinux/Tier1/Editor/bin/geany64
Icon=/home/{your user name here}/AGKLinux/Tier1/Editor/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/agk.png
Terminal=false
Categories=Development;IDE;

4: There must be an empty line at the end, and obviously, change the {your user name here} to your user name. Also assumes you've copied the AGKLinux folder under $HOME
5: Save file, and then make it an executable - easiest done just navigating to the location in the file-browser (ctrl+h to show hidden files), right click, select properties and make executable. Alternatively in terminal use 'chmod 755 geany64.desktop'
6: launch AppGameKit via the newly created .desktop file. Either using file-browser, or './geany64.desktop' in terminal
7: When AppGameKit is up and running, in the dock right-click the icon, select add to favourites. Done!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 01:58:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 01:58:56