Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Performancequestion: simple platformer better in 3D?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it better to create a complete level in 3D and walk across or 2D?
I remember that 2D should inside 3D. Right?
And could i load the complete level? Or tiled?
I think only the displayed area will be rendered.

Maybe someone have answers.
Thanks.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 16:37
Personally, I think it is easier to create a 3D level than doing everything in 2D. You can load an entire level or you can load parts of the level as you go. I think it depends upon how large it is and how complex it is. I try to minimize the polygons needed for an entire level when creating it, so that I can load it and run it all at once. You can also create a 'tiled' game that uses basic 3D shapes and creates an entire level out of them. There was a great example of this posted on this forum years ago called Huge Dungeons, which was a 3D 'tiled' game. I have attached the info. Please bear in mind that some people have had issues with this tutorial and you could do a forum search if you run into problems with it to see what others did to resolve issues. I didn't have any problem with it myself.

You can setup the camera distance or FOV to render what you want in 3D. You can also check the distance from the camera to objects in the current level and hide those that are far away. You could also use LOD (level of detection) to render faraway objects as planes and make it increasingly complex as you get closer to it.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful.

So many games to code.....so little time.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
c0d3r9
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you.
I forgot to say....for AGK. But i could read the code inside your attachement.
On PC i think i could use 3D for a 2D game.
But what is if i compile it for android....maybe the performance slower.
I think too that i i use a lowpoly level model it should be relatively performant.
With the change of different views.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2018-11-17 10:33:26
Your offset time is: 2018-11-17 10:33:26