Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK2 Distorts .x Mesh

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This may be discussed somewhere in the board, but I haven't found anything on it. Sorry if this is a duplicate.
I have a 3d biped model built and animated in MS3D, and exported as a .x file. It loads, looks, and works just fine in Darkbasic Pro, but when I load it into AGK2 (tier 1) using LoadObjectWithChildren, it is distorted. The animations run, but from the distorted joints. I can load it into AGK2 as a static model using LoadObject and it looks fine. Attached are a couple of Pics to show what I'm seeing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

BTW, I didn't make the model, he is a decimated version of Swindhelm's Alien made for Poser that won't be used commercially

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2018 21:43
I believe AppGameKit has a bone limit. Too many bones used to cause this effect.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 31st Jan 2018 22:30
You have exported the model form MS3D with matrix keys for animation.
You need to export the model with position and rotation keys(also knows as Quaternions) for the animation.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
JWarren
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the inputs. I don't think it is a bone limit issue, because there aren't that many. I didn't rig fingers or jaw, just the arms, legs, and torso. I'll read up on the matrix keys and quaternions. That may very well be the piece I am missing.
JWarren
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I got it fixed.
In case someone else has this issue, here is what I finally figured out.
Rather than using the DirectX 8 File export, I used the DirectX (JT) exporter.
I de-selected mesh only, which enabled the Animation side of the dialog.
Then I selected the range for the desired animation in frames. Like a wave from 1000-1060 or a crouch from 100-160, and gave the animation (range) a name. Something creative like, well, Wave, or Crouch, depending on which one I wanted to play.
I selected DirectX Retained mode, clicked Binary and selected OK.
The result is that the mesh imports without any distortion, and I can use the PlayObjectAnimation() command to run the animation. All is good, except... I can only play a single animation.

At 30 FPS, if I have a 2 second animation that runs from frame 1 to 60 and export it as "crouch," no problem.
I don't see any way to export more than one named animation using this exporter. So I tried to put a second animation at the end of "Crouch" that runs from frame 61 through 121. Still 2 seconds. I can play the entire 4 second animation set just fine, but if I try to specify the start and end times so I can play one animation or the other by itself, the model just sits there and does nothing.

I'd rather not have to use a different model for each animation... Anybody have any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
JW

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 04:54:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 04:54:59