Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK Memory Leak.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 19:41
DarkGDK Has a significant memory leak somewhere in it. Is there anything that can be done about this? I tried to compile their source code but have had zero luck with that so far so currently debugging it that way is kind of out of the question but if you watch the memory usage of DarkDGK programs you can see them just rapidly climb every second it runs.
Sphere sphere = new Sphere(0.5f);
InsanelyRedundantJava insanelyredundantjava = new InsanelyRedundantJava(Redundancy1, Redundancy2);
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2018 08:18
I fixed a bug that did that in r113. It's been quite a while but as I recall, it had to do with showing texts. If I'm remembering correctly, it would allocate new memory to show the same text again and again, each frame. So r113 and (I assume) r114 should both be okay in this arena.
Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2018 18:04
Good to know, Im currently porting a game I made in DBPro over and noticed it. Do you remember any issues with the Bump Mapping because I am attempting to use it and its just making the object vanish when I turn Bump mapping on using DarkGDK
InsanelyRedundantJava insanelyredundantjava = new InsanelyRedundantJava(Redundancy1, Redundancy2);
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2018 17:49
Bump mapping is a feature I never used, so I have no idea.
Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2018 08:43
Thanks anyway, I remember having issues of some sorts in DarkBasic Pro as well so I am not sure if its only on DarkGDK, although, Darkbasic I eventually got to work. I cant seem to say the same for DarkGDK.
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2018 10:23 Edited at: 6th Mar 2018 10:28
I must say that I've been using DGDK extensively and I have had no problems whatsoever.

Of course I use native C/C++ code when possible, which is faster than DGDK functions, but this is the power of DGDK itself, to be able to integrate with C++ code.

This applies to the DGDK text printing functions, which I never use and are flawless in C/C++. It also applies to 2d functions like dbDot etc., which are sluggish.

Regarding the in-built bump mapping, it never looked very good. Using a custom shader is the way, it will obtain much more appealing results. You can find lots of these in the DBPro forum, and use and apply them in a couple of DGDK lines.

Other than that, my DGDK space sim has been tested for hours and hours and it has never shown any memory leak. It is solid and stable, and it uses all kinds of DGDK functions.
Sedit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2018 18:17
Sorry to Necro this thread but I have not been around in a while and this forum is not extremely active anyway so I doubt it will be a problem.

Morcilla, just looking at the memory usage in something as basic as Task Manager is enough to tell there is a significant leak. Set your DarkGDK program up to do nothing at all, just run the game loop and you will see the Memory usage ticking up like a clock. That is showing there is a memory leak because memory is being allocated and never deallocated causing usage to slowly go up. For a quick and easy example of this open Task manager and run google chrome, that leaks like a sieve. This is not normal behavior and is indicative as a memory leak.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:47:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:47:47