Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / New Mini Game adaption creation

Author
User Banned
Posted: 21st Feb 2018 23:57
Just thinking of what could be the next mini app game could be after minecraft

what would we all like to see been developed]

Not going to start until Minecraft is finished.. but just to get some ideas on what you guys what you like to see next
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2018 09:32
How about a voxel game, with huge worlds and a giant silver sphere thing...
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2018 04:37 Edited at: 14th Mar 2018 05:27
How about any classic game reimagined?

There is a treasure trove of awesome games waiting to be made from all of those games of the early 80s.

Take Pac-Man... I have seen numerous outright clones of it in 2D and a couple 3D versions (one was very cool kinda spooky) but that is it.

Sometimes it seems like devs don't quite have the imagination of folks back then. Lol I often think it was pretty cool how they dreamed up all of these different games from pac-man to missile command to joust and the hundreds of others of unique games that were a lot of fun especially for the limitations they had to work with.

Anyway... how about an arcade action style Pac-Man where you control the ghosts. You can only control one ghost at any one time. A ghost not under your control keeps moving current direction until it reaches a wall then stops. Goal is to use your 4 ghosts to capture Pac-Man. Of course you also need to save your ghosts from Pac-Man when he gets the power pill. Oh and when a ghost is defeated it does not respawn... stays gone. Of course name it something other than Pac-Man.

Take the same game same idea and turn it into a strategy turn-based game.

How many times have we tried to save those cities in Missile Command and its clones? Be cool to be the one in control of those missiles trying to obliterate the cities as the AI seeks to destroy the missiles and save them.

Countless games just from flipping classics around. And who knows any one of them might be a hit on mobile.

These might be too small for what you are wanting if you want Minecraft scale projects. BUT by flipping it around so the game does not control many "simple" things and instead has one thing (basically it is the player in a sense) it turns these into a very nice AI challenge whether it is controlling a single character in a maze trying to collect all items and avoid your enemies or controlling a gun turret trying to destroy all of the stuff you are throwing its way and being able to prioritize which to go after to maximize cities left at end of round.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2018 10:45 Edited at: 14th Mar 2018 11:20
Remake of Snafu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy0kNlrHP8c

Night Stalker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh-NncVAQGI

Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2018 12:43
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2018 18:16 Edited at: 14th Mar 2018 18:18
I used to play Night Stalker, Shark Shark, Utopia and many other games on our Intellivision long ago. Night Stalker was a cool game and I still remember the excitement of reaching 80,000 points (IIRC) and the invisible robot coming out. I think if those projects were done it would be nice to make enhance versions in the spirit of creating larger game examples. I did that with Atlantic Crisis (inspired by Atari 2600 SeaQuest) and Treasures of Ali-Gar (inspired by VIC-20 Key Quest).

That is a fun challenge trying to retain the basic gameplay of the original while focusing on enhancing the games beyond just updating the graphics.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2018 18:19
Hired guns was epic......those map graphics for the time were amazing. Remember that first level, where it was earth and raining? Played that one level at least 3 dozen times. Lol
kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2018 19:27
I loved my intellivision. Night Stalker was fantastic.

Love the Pac Man idea. Those early game devs were forced to work within the confines of the limited hardware and it definitely required ingenuity and imagination.

"I need a giant laser gun shooting mad space ships as they descend from the sky!!!!"
"I have this line I made and over here I have dot."
"Close enough. Let's use that."
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 14th Mar 2018 19:40 Edited at: 14th Mar 2018 19:41
Cheers guys..

I loved

Wings

Wheelie

Shadow of the beast

Little Big Adventure 2

Plus hundreds more would take me an age to mention
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2018 19:48 Edited at: 16th Mar 2018 03:16
Man Shadow of the Beast III was awesome IMO. That music was extremely good and really appreciated all of the interaction in the game. Added a layer of depth over just a run jump beatemup run n gun whatever lol. Very well done and I think it still holds up well today with the very best of Indie 2D games taken as a whole. Not sure there are any in fact that match it all around.

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 14th Mar 2018 19:53
Yeah it was fab - multiple speed paralex scrolling and a heart monitor for health which ive been trying to figure out lol

i like the idea of the world above and need into the cavern ideas.

i love errie panpipe music too lol

Its just magical
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2018 02:53 Edited at: 16th Mar 2018 03:13
@Phaelax I just watched those videos you linked. I just figured you were linking to videos of the original Intellivision games and I already am familiar with them so did not check them out.

Anyway I was relaxing and browsing the forum and clicked on the Night Stalker video link. These are actually both remakes created in DarkBASIC and extremely faithful from what I recall. I skimmed forward and the invisible robot does come out at 80,000 points.

Are you the creator of these?
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2018 02:56 Edited at: 16th Mar 2018 02:57
@puzzler2018 Looks like 2018 is pretty much filled out for you now. Lots of projects above for you to tackle after Minecraft. lol
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2018 19:43 Edited at: 19th Mar 2018 19:46
On the Amiga, I totally was into Populous
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEJPlseI57o[/video]

(edit) Can't link a youtube video. What am I doing wrong?

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2018 20:04 Edited at: 19th Mar 2018 20:04
How to is in the code

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 19th Mar 2018 20:06 Edited at: 19th Mar 2018 20:09
Psy

For Youtube need to remove all the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

and just have [video=youtube]vEJPlseI57o

dont forget to put the end tag on for video

EDIT - Blink0k bet me to it.. Cheers
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2018 20:07 Edited at: 19th Mar 2018 20:07
Great,

thanks a lot blink0k and puzzler !!

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2018 12:18
Quote: "@Phaelax I just watched those videos you linked. I just figured you were linking to videos of the original Intellivision games and I already am familiar with them so did not check them out.
"

Only night stalker was a DB creation, snafu was played on the intellivision. No I didn't make them, but I came across the night stalker video a few years ago. It surprised me because I've been on this forum a long time and never once saw anyone post about remaking that game before.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 01:58 Edited at: 13th Apr 2018 02:22
RETRO Games are awesome Puzzler
There is many remakes that people have created over time and often a reason for us to learn the mechanics of old programs by recreating them

The program templates are often examples of these and just incase you haven't seen the Small Games Template post.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/218621 plenty of videos of old games there, that RickV from the
developers asked people to recreate.

And with your learned expertise I'm sure you could create some good stuff
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 13th Apr 2018 20:38 Edited at: 13th Apr 2018 20:39
Thanks

Love Retro Games - on another thread mentioned a few,including

Driving - ChaseHQ/Outrun

2D driving - Supercars

Platform - GODS

Funky - Bomb Jack/Rockman/Rainbow Islands (when it dudnt crash loading lol)

The worlds our oyster with Retro come backs

Back to Minecraft
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 20:52 Edited at: 14th Apr 2018 21:34
I have the arcade versions of all of the above on my Raspberry Pi plus many more.

I also loved how in the past people showed off their abilities and the machines abilities with Demos
or Intros to their games. Many used sine curves and had catchy tunes. If you stick with the code
generated at runtime that could be possibly be something to create. With your understanding of
memblocks im sure you could create some pretty awesome, fast and creative demos.

My First Retro Demo Attempt

Quote: "Just a thought with the way you have learnt to create a mesh from memblocks and then modify the mesh
from positions held in an array im sure that could lead to something awesomely creative"

fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 06:31 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2018 06:35
I been thinking a 3d Night Driver from what I learnt from doing my Mini-Game.
using a sine curve for the posts and mesh destruction of objects after collisions

What ya think ?
fubar
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 07:32 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2018 09:37
I work on a ghost and goblins like :

my favorite arcade game from the 80's

I do what i do !!!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 09:10
@captain quais you have to use the youtube video tags with T8BHxPO91CA
fubar
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 09:37
@fubarpk thx !!!!!!
I do what i do !!!
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 12:37 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2018 12:38
Thanks guys - looks good

Furbarpk its a great idea too yeah - if can program in using meshes then well done too.

Both your apps looks promising, maybe could use the Gyro for the racing app so if feels like the phone/tablet acts like a steering wheel.

Perhaps put some left and right bends on, maybe some road side walks / curbs.. so if the car bumps into the curb mesh data position then it bounces back into the road.

Maybe perhaps rotate the car slightly left and right too depending on the direction heading.

Or am i ruining your dream!!

Keep going...
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2018 22:53 Edited at: 4th May 2018 13:15
I'm thinking something like this
Night Driver

I need to design cows etc to cross the road now lol
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2018 19:21
Scorched Earth

but 3D like this version http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

I did do similar in Dark GDK
http://s33.photobucket.com/user/fubarpk/media/mygamepic.jpg.html?sort=3&o=50
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2018 22:10
Choplifter

Would make for a great 3d conversion but def not a mini project

fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 4th May 2018 22:13
Yeah the simplest of games are the best

I think I over do things a bit and make things harder than what they all should be about.

Love the app
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2018 22:29
Yeh choplifter was great and def simple and not sure if they loved or hated the people you were
rescuing dieing when getting in the helicopter lol Was good effect but dang I killed so many.

Quote: "Love the app "

Did you see my latest with purchased sounds and models from the TGC store
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222159 Still perfecting it yet but
looks allot better than original which was more of a template. But thought you
might like to see how well the vertex destruction works in the second video on
the page.
fubar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:10:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:10:22