Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Language character question

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm currently building the framework for my platform game. I've implemented a language system rather than hard-coding the language so I only need to point at a different text file to run the game in a different language. I want to have French, German and other language versions but aware that they have accents and diacritics that are not in the standard English alphabet. Anyone know where I can find a definitive list of extra characters that I'll need for the various languages?
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2018 10:52
My two game supported multiple languages and so I found a font with all the required accents, even found some with Cyrillic. Found them on https://fonts.google.com/

If you're rolling your own with a custom bitmap-font system or something then that's quite an undertaking.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
It's a bitmap font based on a purchased font. So I don't need the special characters to inherently be in the IDE - they're all stored in text files waiting to be read. So, just need a good list of characters that I'll need. é á ó ú etc
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 26th Feb 2018 21:44
I have always fancied having some KataKana characters for Matrix Rain - which is available way up on the asci codes, but not available in english language keyboards, booo
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 26th Feb 2018 21:48
How I do copy odd looking characters though like in Visual C# I just copy the character from a website and paste into a string in C#

That seems to work in that, but not sure if this would for you with AppGameKit, especially in this IDE
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 26th Feb 2018 22:04
Unless use the font that uses the letters of each of the lanuages you need - and then that would be difficult to manage

unless if choose a language to start with from a combo style list and load the necessary fonts associated with that language.

errrm difficult but can be done i think

fonts are copyrighted btw
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2018 08:26
puzzler2018 wrote: "fonts are copyrighted btw"

This is true, most of the google fonts https://fonts.google.com/ are free for commercial use under the OPEN FONT LICENSE and most if not all include all western Europe extended set and a good amount include Cyrillic (russian), I was told a long time ago that if you make your own bitmap version of a copyrighted TTF\OTF then the copyright does not apply, I don't know if this is true though.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2018 09:20
Quote: "I was told a long time ago that if you make your own bitmap version of a copyrighted TTF\OTF then the copyright does not apply, I don't know if this is true though."

It isn't true.
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I want to try and minimise the number of special characters - I wonder if there is an essential subset?
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's what I was after - linked as thought it might be useful for others. Characters used in Eurpoean Languages

Right onwards...
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Or to make it easier - these are the characters that I've figured I'll need to cover the major countries in Europe...

ÅÄÀÂÁÃĄÆÈÉÊËĘÎÏÌÍŒÔØÖÓÕÒÜÙÛÚÇĆŁñŃߌŹŻ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:39:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:39:47