Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / PSA Don't forget to make backups.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2018 21:58
ARRRRRRRRRG!

Lost 5 hours work , (a lot of tedious stuff too) I do daily backups but I don't count on AppGameKit crashing my system between backups and leaving me with a NUL NUL NUL file BOO! HISSS!. I got lucky the last time it happened a few months back I could recover it using a HEX editor, but this time seems the file has been overridden with null data.

Maybe the AppGameKit crew could have the IDE write a backup file occasionally, configurable in the IDE? oh well I guess going forward ill make hourly backups of my working project folder. Live & Learn.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2018 22:56 Edited at: 25th Feb 2018 22:58
Bummer! There actually IS an auto-save and auto-backup feature of the Geany editor but it is not enabled by default. Here's a quick tutorial:

1.) Open AppGameKit IDE.
2.) Tools > Plugin Manager.
3.) CHECK "Save Actions"
4.) Click "Preferences"
5.) Set the options for "Auto Save" such as save every 'x' seconds or whenever focus is lost.
6.) Optionally set "Instant Save" which will save in real-time as you type but this is probably overkill.
7.) Enable "Backup Copy" and specify backup location, preferably on a different drive.
8.) Set the "Directory levels to include in the backup destination" to '1' or '2' so that the scripts per project will be contained within their own folder in the backup directory.
8.) Click "Apply" and "OK".

Now whenever you save the file (or every 'x' seconds) a backup file of the current script will be saved as well in the default format of: "script.agc.YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS".
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2018 00:11
That's why I work out of a one drive folder. Every single time I hit compile the newly saved files back up in seconds.....never really loose anything.

I feel your pain though.....I only do that because I learned the hard way!!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2018 04:38
Dropbox folders are also good for creating snapshot backups without any configuration.
Box.com is not an option, unless you pay a premium. Standard service does not take snapshots.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2018 08:23
@Santman - not sure that would have helped, the issue was the moment I hit "RUN" in the IDE my PC froze and I had to hard reset, when it came back up the file I had changed prior to hitting RUN was corrupted.... though guess as the PC froze it would not have synced with the online version. Well it's a once in a blue moon issue and with hourly backups and the backup option enabled in IDE I don't think I'll need to worry.

Now that I think about it about 2/3 of the time I lost was me testing ways of doing stuff, I can probably get back to where I was in a hour.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:19:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:19:50