Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Lighting problem or something else?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2018 21:57 Edited at: 8th Mar 2018 21:59
My door in game is being impacted by poor lighting or something. Is there a way for me to turn off lighting on this?

Blender:

AGK:

Looks fine in blender, and when I separate the objects and load them in AppGameKit they are correct. So I do not believe its a texturing issue. I believe the frame is blocking the lighting? I have no idea. Thoughts?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2018 22:02 Edited at: 8th Mar 2018 22:04
SetObjectLightMode()

I think the problem is AppGameKit has problems with smoothing groups. At least that is my experience
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2018 23:03 Edited at: 8th Mar 2018 23:03
Looks like you may have the face normals flipped on those two triangles.

You can see the door frame through those holes, it's not just black shadow, it's more like 2 tri not being rendered.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2018 04:20 Edited at: 9th Mar 2018 04:28
Thanks to you both! It wasn't a problem with normals (I dont think those show up correctly in Blender), but your tip did make me investigate further. Plus I did have to turn lighting off... kinda of a bummer.

I had used a new modifier - Boolean - to make a hole in the door frame. This caused some really odd behavior. The faces were not aligned correctly. So.. it was like it was gone in blender, but not gone when exported. I had to completely redo the frame, which was rather complex. The Boolean modifier had made it a 5 minute job. But, then I had to go back and fix the geometry which is always a PITA.

Have not made a normal map yet:

Sometimes I think a normal map is better than creating the extra edges... I dont even think you can see the edges I made.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2018 15:28 Edited at: 9th Mar 2018 15:29
A good normal map with good supporting geometry can be pretty amazing for sure. Baking out normals is an art in itself!
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:48:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:48:16