Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / Where to find? 1. CoreLibrary.agc 2. GUILibrary.agc and 3. LANLibrary.agc

Author
Reviewed AGK on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2018 13:36 Edited at: 10th Mar 2018 14:03
While looking through the DLC (downloaded content) Tutorial guides 1 & 2, they mention in there numerous times, that I need to include the 3 Library files mentioned above.

However, in the 2 AppGameKit tutorial books 1 and 2 , no where can these libraries be found !.

So, I wondered, where are they? I think I remember a different website where these are located. Anyone remember where? They also sell the AppGameKit tutorial guides 1 and 2.

I'm looking here, but not found the libraries yet ... www.digital-skills.co.uk/index.html
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 08:54
The books are written as tutorial guides and later chapters make use of the stuff you should have produced in earlier chapters. The books really aren't designed for you
just to jump to the part you happen to be interested in. The library files you are looking for are ones you would have created yourself when working through earlier chapters.

However, if you really don't want to do the exercises, you can always copy and paste the code for them from the text of the book.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
For those who just want the download, they are located here:

http://www.digital-skills.co.uk/downloads/agk2.zip

http://www.digital-skills.co.uk/downloads/agk2_2.zip

The guides are definitely (way) more useful when you go through them from start to finish though. So do consider going through all of it the way it was intended.

Honestly, I still think these guides should come with AppGameKit 2 as a more official type of tutorial / help included. They go through a lot of the features and it gives a pretty good overall recommendation on how to organize your coding to anyone completely new to programming.

I don't want to be overly negative, but the website-based official help accessible through F1 from the IDE should feature way more small code examples. It should also feature a search option that lets you search for any pages with a certain content. Whether its words in code examples or commands themselves. (Same goes for the website forum here actually. It's a bit difficult to get good search results. Just look at how few results come up with simple single words like 'shader' or 'movement').

I would never demand other to write my code for me, so don't get me wrong here. But there's a lot of stuff missing from the official Help that probably should provide a small example. Lately I've been trying to get a few shaders working and must say the manual barely explains anything about the agk shader commands.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2018 18:01
Out of curiosity: what does LANLibrary.agc do?
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
It basically sets up the LAN host, create and checks whether it's a client or host and defines a few types so everything is easy to track or refer to in your app. It's basically less than like 40 lines of code or so.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2018 08:39
Ah, ok. Thanks. Not a must have then or something I guess..
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
That depends on how familiar you are with AppGameKit 2 already. In my opinion the two Official Tier 1 guides are definitely must-haves. Hundreds of pages of valuable info to be found in there, even when most examples are perhaps basic at first glance, all of it together I think is pretty essential. But in terms of the multiplayer example, yeah that's pretty basic from I've read so far.
Rick Nasher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2018 08:07 Edited at: 18th Mar 2018 09:06
That's a pity. I would like to create multiplayer games and offer the players multiple options for connecting and setting up games, such as:

- P2P over the LAN and internet, with host switching on the fly, where one of the players is the host and when leaves the next in line(with lowest ping/best performance) gets to be the next host.
- Networking using the classic host server/client approach with NAT hole punching.

I really hope AppGameKit comes up with an all-in-one solution that blows everyone of it's socks.
Something like Unity's(yuck, the word leaves a bad taste. lol) multiplayer network library, which is actually partially open source ( https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/networking ) and based on RakNet which is now free open source https://github.com/facebookarchive/RakNet

So.. if I was working at AppGameKit I'd know what to check for ideas and such..

But perhaps there are better solutions out there such as Forge Networking which seems to be having NAT hole punching in it.

Don't know if AppGameKit allows DLL's under Tier1 to be integrated into it's compilation? Perhaps someone who's skilled enough could make money with a plugin?
Kot
Years of Service
User Offline
Copy-and-paste of only one library - GUILibrary.agc gives 1850 lines long file with about 330 strange characters that I have to remove manually. I do not see much sense in re-typing significant part of the book, especially if I'm not a complete beginner in coding and I'm looking for specific information for programs I want to write. These files/examples SHOULD be available for downloading.
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2018 08:33
I'm sorry, but I feel it's an important part of the learning process to take the time to examine the code and spend time typing it in. Particularly so for the GUI library since you really need to understand the approach used if you are going to expand the library and create your own GUI widgets.

Having said that, I have no objection to sharing a copy of any of the library files used in the book with others on the forum who'd like a copy. But pleases end it as an email attachment and don't post a general link to your copy of the library.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:14:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:14:01