Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Steam copy protection - Which did you use?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I understand that there are various ways to protect your game from being copied (pirated) on steam. Which method(s) have you guys used with AppGameKit tier 1 games that you’ve released on steam? What method(s) do you teckon are best? Why?
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2018 12:47
I have not seen any reason for DRM (for my games anyway), if I were to use DRM i'd probably just used steams built in DRM.
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2018 20:08
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I was looking at this blog about it

Got me wondering what AGK's Steam releasers have done... because know "theory" and "practice" quite often don't coexist!
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 19th Mar 2018 21:38
secretly save a file somewhere else on the PC/Tablet/Phone

If the file exists - then the app is installed properly

If the file doesnt exit - then the app has just had its contents copied over and thus wont run

But then steam takes care of all this anyway - you need a steam account with a purchased product on the account to install / play

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2018 11:34
Steam is essential cracked within hours, it's almost a non protection now I think. I read an interesting article once, the lines of which basically said that if your a small dev and someone cares enough to crack your game, it's almost a good thing....it was written by a solo dev who released a game no one bothered to crack. Lol. I guess what they meant is don't worry about copy protection until your big enough to need copy protection - if your game is good enough to play it's good enough to buy, so use advantages and bonuses to promote that.

I think for the best copy protection you should add code though......GTA 4 and the constantly drunk mode every second load? Batman and the impossible jump (on a pirate copy the game was fully functional, except one crucial jump was made wider and impossible). Or the king.....game dev tycoon: pirate the game and no matter what you do, eventually in your game pirate downloads will drive you out of business. Lol.
Zep
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2018 13:57
I liked (well, really didn't) The old 3D Studio dongle protection where after you clicked the mouse button so many times...your model would tessalate! I always wondered WTF am I doing wrong?

Yes, I was a dirty 3D Studio pirate back in the day...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 04:31:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 04:31:25