Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / weird white line on 3D objects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2018 14:27 Edited at: 29th Mar 2018 14:45

Cant seem to get rid of these lines that are pretty noticeable,even if I actually place the object on top of another..any ideas what causes this?

here is the code,it is early days or a restarted editor:

I've remmed out a few things like textures and model loading and just simply making coloured boxes here..

Use mouse plus cursor keys and space-bar to place an object.. a+z raises/lowers 3d cursor .. F2 saves the level, c clears the level and f1 loads.. I would make one first then save it coz there is no error checking yet

it need "keys.agc" which looks like this

I just want to know how to get rid of these lines,or what I am doing wrong, though reviewing the video they arent as noticeable on there, but a lot more in the program
Hail to the king, baby!
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2018 16:07
I can't even see any white lines at all watching the video on my phone.

I will test the code to tonight. Off the top of my head I'd guess the lines are where two objects join? In that case maybe try fixing the joined object to the object it is being joined to. I haven't looked at the code so maybe you already are doing that.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2018 18:53 Edited at: 29th Mar 2018 21:18
I don't see any lines either aside from what looks like just part of the texture, nothing that stands out as unusual.

I guess I'm not sure what it is we are supposed to be seeing
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeh I know right,it didnt look that way whilst editing, run the code and see yourself, best thing to do is view from the bottom drag zooming with mouse+lmb
Hail to the king, baby!
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2018 19:16
I think this is caused by the faces between the cubes.
The best you can do is to remove them.
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2018 20:37 Edited at: 29th Mar 2018 20:39
yeh you was right,ended up deleting the face of the model I was using, hmmm, makes things awkward does that.
probably best to just scale plus texture repeat, and plan out first
Hail to the king, baby!
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Did you check whether the texture has some transparency to it in it's alpha channel? It might be a case of the texture and not the placement of the cube models.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 29th Mar 2018 21:19
We got a few lines in minecraft, so will be fixing those face issues soon
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2018 22:57 Edited at: 30th Mar 2018 01:06
weirdly if I add smooth to the object within blender , under tools/shading,with all faces intact, the lines disappear, without smooth, or in other words choosing flat,they reappear, would never have guessed that 1, I added it accidently, the code is back to its normal self using cloning of objects:

I attached the model so you can see this..atm it has smoothing, so no lines, but if you import it into blender, make it flat..export--test .. you will see the lines come back
So for me this is a fix,of course you cannot do such actions as smooth object with the built in primitive commands of AppGameKit, so no use for your minecraft. I had a look at that code once btw for the MineCraft..looked very nice. Wouldn't be that hard to change it into using object cloning like I am doing. But of course using an external model like the one attached with smooth. It just needs the UV's fixing now...
Hail to the king, baby!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like maybe there is a bit of white showing due to untextured mesh. The smoothing might just change the view enough where you can't see the untextured part.
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2018 07:34 Edited at: 30th Mar 2018 15:10
bah,this is getting odd, apparently as soon as the shadows are added the lines seem to go, you can see it happen if you create a few blocks stacked up, press F2 to save, press c to clear then f1 to load, thanks to the short delay I put in you see it happen...not sure yet though,will have to add lights and such
Hail to the king, baby!

Attachments

shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2018 12:53 Edited at: 30th Mar 2018 15:04
just mess around with it
Hail to the king, baby!

Attachments

shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
nope ,cant get rid of the lines,I give up, this ruins everything
Hail to the king, baby!
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2018 02:59
I downloaded the project and tested but I cannot see any lines at all. Everything is rock solid and flawlessly displayed.

Is there a certain thing I can do to try to get the lines to show up?

Here is what I did to test it...

Just an FYI... I uploaded that as Unlisted so it won't show up unless a person knows the direct link to it.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2018 07:41 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2018 09:18
weird innit, I defo dont imagine them..anyhow..went back to my old code which has non..lol

It did have problems in other departments and was acting up on mobiles,it got messy after introducing cloning on top of using built in primitives which is what it was originally built on, now I have stripped out these and just clone external objects for the better UV-íng

this is how far I got:

I spent yesterday simply debugging and sorting it out, it is way more complete than that other, rather annoying,one..
It has a few more game modes like adventure,pool/golf ..
Just messing with settings on the normal map, seeing the difference,some have normal,some dont, in the vid

Try stacking with the one you have.. A+Z to move up/down
Hail to the king, baby!
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2018 12:33 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2018 12:36
Ok,woke up this morning with a thought,went to my nvidia settings,and changed the 3D settings to quality, sure enough..no more lines.. lol

Ah well, on the plus side I gave away some code.
Hail to the king, baby!
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2018 14:25 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2018 14:26
LOL! I was going to mention updating your vc drivers but figured you had done that.

Well that makes sense. You hit on something... how many people out there may have their settings on performance. Many of them with older machines. Makes you wonder how many times when someone complains about artifacts and glitches in display / graphics on a Steam (or other) game it is something like this.

Glad you sorted it out!
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2018 19:00 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2018 19:02
Yeh,forgot I had changed them months ago for bitcoin mining, gotta love old age and memory (lack of)
But there is a plus side to everything, I will forget about this stupidity soon.
Hail to the king, baby!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2018 08:30
You could try increase the size of objects by 0.001 pixels so they overlap very slightly.
shadey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2018 10:27 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2018 10:42
it was just the nvidia setting,it didnt even matter if I overlapped,they still showed through, funnily it shows the effect on the nvidia logo when you change from quality > performance setting, the white lines!! or it looks that way, I think basically performance makes these edges jagged, this jaggedness show through and above the face slightly. Probably around 0.001 pixels yeh...
Hail to the king, baby!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 10:56:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 10:56:01