Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / software to make sprites

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What software is normally used to make sprites?

what do you recommend?
--
edler

AppGameKit forum in Spanish, yet!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Are you talking about converting a set of images to a spritesheet, or creating 2D animations?
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
It depends on what you're looking for honestly.

I use Aseprite for pixel art or user interface art quite a lot. It's pretty cheap on Steam and well worth getting. It can also do 2D animations.

For more detailed stuff I tend to use Corel Painter 2017. That program is not cheap, but I do more digital art using a tablet and such, so kind of had to have it. I also used to own a Photoshop CC license, but haven't been subscribed to that for a while. Other people like the free Gimp, but I found it to be a bit too quirky. Might be a good option in combination with Aseprite.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 6th Apr 2018 23:29
gimp....

no offense
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
As a hobbyist I use gimp and animate in blender. You can use http://zerosprites.com/ to change to a spritesheet.
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2018 09:32
http://pyxeledit.com/ is my choice for pixel and tile work, probably not the best for detailed animation, as some mentioned https://www.aseprite.org/ is better for complicated animations.
Amon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2018 11:30
GraphicsGale for sprites and photoshop for everything else.
Imaginations' greatest gift is the knowledge you supply it.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
You can draw frame-by-frame animation in Krita:
https://docs.krita.org/Animation
hoyoyo80
Years of Service
User Offline
Pixel art? I use Pixly on Android, its free and support animation...perfect combo with android agk..
Riusz
Years of Service
User Offline
I use Inkscape (verctorial drawing) and I generate png from it.
But you need another software for animations (for instance Spine or Spriter supported by AGK).

PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
@puzzler2018: Well Gimp isn't great you are correct, Photoshop is like a million times more comfortable to work with. But Gimp is free, meaning low barrier to entry and it can do quite some stuff Photoshop does (although definitely not everything).
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 16:09
I find PaintshopPro to be a good alternative to gimp and photoshop. then again I've used PSP since version 3 was free with a magazine back in yeoldy times.
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2018 20:29
For 2d bitmap sprites, I like to use an old piece of software named "Deluxe Paint" by Electronic Arts (ECA). But, it is no longer published and difficult (rare) to locate for purchasing, and sadly it has limits on the number of simultaneous colors. Ironic that despite its age, it still outperforms in aspects much of the newer bitmap editor software published today.

But I also like to use Adobe AfterEffects as well as Corel PhotoPaint. I especially like the "puppet warp" feature in Adobe AfterEffects which allows for advanced tweening. This can save an incredible amount of time instead of manually drawing each and every frame of a bitmap animation. There are probably several videos online (YouTube) which describe how to set up / configure Adobe PhotoShop (not the same software as AfterEffects), Corel PhotoPaint, Gimp and others, specifically to create bitmap pixelart / sprites instead of editing high-resolution bitmap photographs.

But what I have found is, almost any bitmap editor software will suffice. It takes time and practice to learn to use the software, but ongoing practice is the key. After practicing to an adequate amount on a bitmap editor of choice, then that same bitmap editor usually becomes the user's preference only because of established familairity.

So I would recommend "if the shoe fits, wear it" so to speak: choose a bitmap editor which fits (even if not perfectly fits, but closely or reasonably fits) with your current budget and current skill level and then continue to use it for the foreseeable future. Then in the future if either your bitmap art skill set increases or your budget for editor software increases, you can always at that time switch to adopt a different bitmap editor with more features. It is largely a matter of personal preference and personal taste, even as can be seen in the number of specific editors referred to in this thread posted by different users.

I hope this recommendation is helpful. Regarding recommending a specific editor, I would recommend Gimp even though I personally don't use it at this time. It's free, does not require an online connection (for either DRM or for an ongoing paid subscription), and as an added bonus it runs on multiple OSes (Windows, Linux) which does not lock you into a specific vendor's system (OS). And being community-driven in its development, it is unlikely that it will become "abandonware" or unsupported any time soon.
Richard_6
Years of Service
User Offline
I remembef using Deluxe Paint to create those wonderful infinity perspectives and placing circles filled with gradients above. So much fun. Out of curiosity, do you use DP II Enhanced?
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 07:37
I've been creating 2D/3D game graphics for over 20+ years now both as an indie and pro game developer, just so you know where I'm coming from. Photoshop is pure BS and I would never recommend it. You'll always hear other people repeat or say that "Photoshop is the industry standard when it comes to game development". Why is that? Because that's how they market it, and in doing so they're able to jack up the price and in a move usually associated with EA, have adopted a subscription model so us struggling artist or students can use this AMAZING and INDUSTRY STANDARD software too! Oh how thoughtful of them! (hopefully you've picked up the sarcasm lol)

I use Paintshop Pro, though marketed as a photo editor does everything Photoshop does, which in some cases in my opinion it does more of and better. Best part, the price for the Ultimate software + their particle shop software + a script pack is currently equal to three months of subscription for just the Ps app. My copy even came with their Animation software that is basically PSP with an onion editor and animation preview window. Ps is marketed towards large companies that want those 100+ business licenses, easily making them $3.5k / month per 100 copies. For the average joe, you're looking at $350 / year at their cheapest rate.

Best part for me is the drawing tablet support with some amazing pen pressure customization, which you can link and adjust to almost anything. Along with it's scripting editor and plug-ins. I've been able to create several scripts specifically for creating media for AppGameKit, like one script for taking separate font letter images and exporting the AppGameKit font files, or a script for selecting up to 500 images and exporting a single atlas image, both with live parameter sliders.

But HEY! That's just my opinion, I'm sure some people will disagree, I've had people look at me like I just ran over their dog when discussing image editors and I crap all over Ps.

In the end, just pick the editor that fits your needs, budget and pipeline the best.
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 08:50
Gimp recently released their 2.10 version and it's actually really good. A lot of improvements which makes it a bit more like photoshop.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 13:58
I would use Affinity Photo every time.

It's like Photoshop - but usable and affordable (less than 2 months PS subscription to license it outright)

And if you want to do other graphical stuff, it has every base covered.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TutCity is being rebuilt
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still using a perpetual license of Photoshop. Absolutely HATE the subscription model so won't upgrade. Sorry, that doesn't help but... man that subscription model winds me up!
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 18:02
Quote: "For 2d bitmap sprites, I like to use an old piece of software named "Deluxe Paint" by Electronic Art"

I had Deluxe 3 for the Amiga, I think you need to bold the old!

Quote: "man that subscription model winds me up!"

You're not the only one. I've used PS since the 90s. Even MS jumped on the subscription bandwagon with Office.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:29:23
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:29:23