Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Trying to learn...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First off, I apologize if this is in the wrong location. I didn't not see any other place to put it given the subject.

So I have been trying to learn coding for about 4 years now. I started with VB which I had a real hard time with, and then went to python which I loved(also did a little with c++) . I have now been working with AppGameKit for a little over a year. The problem is that I have a hard time dedicating time to learning more and then I have to go back and relearn what I already have. I do have volume 1 of the guide but I have not finished it. In the end I need some kind of idea about how to keep my focus going. Thanks for the help.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2018 14:10
I would maybe check out the post about making a Minecraft clone, that's good inspiration. And Bengismo did a really good thread making a simple FPS.
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2018 15:54
I'd say pick an old Atari 2600 2D game and remake that, something real basic that you can finish and break down into clear parts.

One I have been meaning to do for fun is remaking the home-brew Halo for 2600 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_2600 but with a different theme, I was thinking mad max and have the player find parts of his car while fighting thugs and so on.

I'd start with;

Adding the player
- I'd need to add controls to move the player
- I'd add animations to the player for left and right directions.

Add Screens
- Decide how I am going to have the player move from screen to screen
- How do I know what screen to load if the player move off the screen to right etc.?
- How do I design each screen, placements of objects etc.

Add objects and pickups
- Decide how I put objects, tress etc onto a screen
- Same for pickups, do they re-spawn on a timer?

Collisions
- Now we have objects so I'd look at player collisions vs objects and pickups.

Add bullets
- I'd probably go with a Type for bullets so the same code can be used for the player and enemy.
- Allow the player to shoot bullets and disappear when it hits something etc.

..... and so on until I create "a game".
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2018 17:01
And don't forget the game pack DLC also......think it comes with 11 complete projects that you can see the code for.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 30th Apr 2018 17:47
Welcome Zagaroth to the realms of AppGameKit - Im sure will you be very pleased with its productions

As Santman suggests to take a look at the mine craft thread - I have been having some time out on it recently, to re-energize my memblock programming on it cause it is becoming quiet complex now
I will return to it again very soon - hopefully next weekend
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2018 20:51 Edited at: 30th Apr 2018 20:52
Santman wrote: "And Bengismo did a really good thread making a simple FPS."

Id love to take credit but

..your probably thinking of GarBenjamin's thread
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/221520

or maybe Cliff Mellangard's PixelStein
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/221376

Anyway....Starting on a simple but fun project that can be completed fairly quickly is a good idea and you always learn more by trying to actually complete a game rather then tinkering. Choose something that you liked to play and make a simple version of it. If you complete it you can always embellish it and expand it. AppGameKit can probably do what you want...the question is what do you want it to do??
Zagaroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2018 04:17 Edited at: 1st May 2018 04:26
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I really appreciate it. I have been trying to grind through volume 1 of the guide and I think that might be making it harder for me to stick with it. I will find a project to work on. Another concern I have is the graphics for the game. If I put something like a red square or something like that as a type of place older, I can go back and replace that with the sprite graphics that I really what, right? Also, to expand on what I want to do. For right now I am focusing on 2d. I would like to make a 2d hack and slash with some rpg elements but I worry that a project like that would be a bit much for a first game. But I was thinking maybe just make the combat part of the game.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 1st May 2018 04:39
A hack and slash would be good
I'm sure you could achieve this adding more elements etc as you progressed with it
The trick is to try and break down the task into smaller more manageable tasks.
Originally that's why people used pseudocode etc Not used so much nowadays
but it does demonstrate some planning is useful ie the grid gets created with tiles
and moved, Or the player does. Then what to do when you come across a certain
tile ie is it grouped so you know what kind of tile it is. Does the tile have
characteristics ie an enemy with strength etc
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 1st May 2018 04:49
I Learned allot from trying to convert other basic programs to either Applesoft or the challenger computer. learnt
allot of bad practices then too. But would have to be one of my first programs was a space invader program on
the challenger 4p computer. This was inspired by learning for/next statements thinking I could put them to use.
well I did and created a space invaders in like 10 lines of code it had score etc but what I didn't understand was
what to do when you shot one down so it just placed them back at the top left of screen lol but it was my first
attempt and definitely helped me understand how the arcade game worked. That was my inspiration at the time
wasn't even my favorite game. But I learnt and have progressed a long way since then as a hobby programmer.
fubar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:46:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:46:36