Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Showcase / 3D Night Driving

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2018 04:06 Edited at: 4th May 2018 21:17
A Classic black and white retro remake of a night driving game. The object is to try and get as far as you can avoiding
the posts on the side of the road and oncoming traffic using the phone/tablets gyroscope like a steering wheel.

My Original version with all graphics and sound code generated

and full source available here https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222010
fubar
fubarpk
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2018 02:16 Edited at: 11th May 2018 20:11
I decided to try better models
still going with the retro look what do people think ?

Latest Version Night Driving

EDITED added sheep
available for free at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=night.driver

With some purchasing from https://www.tgcstore.net/ credits are scrolled across
screen at start up
fubar
GarBenjamin
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 4th May 2018 05:13
Looks cool to me. Add some deer running across the road, collectibles and guns and you have a hit.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
george++
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2018 11:30 Edited at: 4th May 2018 11:31
I think you don't need better models. Yoy need to find fresh ideas for this type of game. Unfotunatelly I don't have something in my mind to share. Maybe a new obstacle from the sky ?
GarBenjamin
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 4th May 2018 17:15 Edited at: 4th May 2018 17:16
Yeah... gameplay! You can add better graphics at any point. You can take the gameplay wherever you are interested in taking it.

Maybe you want to go the Bump n Jump route of having holes, etc to jump and being able to knock other cars off the road. Then build out from there.

Or maybe RoadBlasters if you prefer some shooting destruction then can build out from there.

Or maybe something like PitStop where tires wear out, fuel is consumed and damage accumulates and player has to pull over periodically for light maintenance.

Or maybe combine elements from all 3 and when pullover can buy upgrades for car jumping ability and upgrade the guns in addition to the normal vehicle maintenance.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2018 18:46
Well, we wait for the next !!
I do what i do !!!
george++
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2018 21:19 Edited at: 4th May 2018 21:20
@GarBemjamin: I think your next project should be one of this type. You have a lot of ideas!!!
fubarpk
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2018 21:30 Edited at: 4th May 2018 21:48
Thanks Everyone

I was thinking close to how the original was, collisions with the sheep causing dramas this time lol
but i was thinking more you have to get so far before the timer runs out and i may chuck instanced
sheep on the road for increased difficulty. At the moment there is only one other car that positions
itself once it has gone from view so need to do something there. Problem is the car has a few vertices
so maybe dont want to many different ones thinking on best way to achieve this. With the sheep
ide love to do some gore for when you collide with a sheep but thinking that could cause issues with
google plays approval.

Im happy with speeds ATM and i like the way the crash has vertex destruction especially with the
version with models and sound purchased from https://www.tgcstore.net/ I think I'm happy
with the cars wireframe look, this helps see that the tires actually steer and go around with speed
perhaps the car needs an engine to look at lol. But apart from timer and sheep being placed on road
perhaps extra cars not really sure what else if I stick with the true retro clone idea of night driver.
And if I stick with the wireframe look which I designed the texture for, I think if I used a colored
car I would need multiple colored cars (I have 3 in inv) but think it may steer too far from the classic
Night Driver look I once played at the arcade lol Altho a greyscale one could have random colors applied
as my wireframe ones can have now. Which allows random colors , but definitely steers from the
Black and White original. I may also add some background ambience but that will prob cost
fubar
fubarpk
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2018 21:55 Edited at: 6th May 2018 03:09
These are the sheep I'm using https://www.tgcstore.net/product/24084

There is one sheep and 22 instanced sheep at any one time in game at the moment.
There is one post and 19 posts instanced and two cars. The cars I have are
https://www.tgcstore.net/product/18984 but I have the orange and blue
one as well. Still on the lookout for tire screeching sounds and background ambience

now I have sheep on the road at times please see above video
fubar
fubarpk
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2018 00:55 Edited at: 11th May 2018 20:11
Quote: "in this video I have been playing with adjusting the sounds volume and pitch during game as it accelerates
and I have increased the size of the car."

Do people think thats an improvement ?
fubar
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2018 22:02

Neat idea. I like "minimalist" games. Reminds me of the old Atari 2600 game!
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2018 02:09
Man I still play Rad Racer on my NES
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2018 20:03
Quote: "Man I still play Rad Racer on my NES "

YES!! My friend had that one... it came with the 3D glasses! Nothing quite like the old NES days.
I still have a decent collection including Paperboy, Metroid, Punch-Out, Double Dragon, Ghosts n Goblins, The Goonies, Dragon Warrior, Zelda, Spy Hunter, etc, etc.
Send your parents to noisy sprite demo hell... enter the D-Zone
fubarpk
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2018 21:02 Edited at: 26th May 2018 14:25
Quote: "Man I still play Rad Racer on my NES "

Im as bad on my Rasbery Pi I have one SDHC with hundreds of systems and close to 100,000 games

3D with glasses arrrh yes the old red and blue glasses "Anaglyph 3D" should be easy enuff to convert to that
style of 3D game especially with the original which created all the objects with code. Might look into that

Anaglyph Stereoscopic Night Driving

I have misplaced my 3D glasses so I am unsure how well I have set the offsets but that should give you a general idea
fubar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2018-05-27 14:23:15
Your offset time is: 2018-05-27 14:23:15