Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Does an AGK installed IPA file, or app running in the iOS Player create any viewable logs?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2018 20:47
A week or two ago my I tested an app on my iPod. It's an app that's been out on the Android for about a year now. When testing it on my iPod everything seemed to work fine. Over the last week or two I've been making a lot of changes to the app to release an update on the Play Store. Since then I can't get the app to work on the iPod or via the AppGameKit Player on the iPod. In the play it gets to about 96% and then closes, and with the installed version it closes after showing the splash screen for a second or two.

I tried deleting all of the certificates and recreating them again, starting from the beginning but both ways causes it to close before it's really even begun.

My question is, is there a way I can view logs either from the AppGameKit player on the device or of the installed IPA and see if they say what might be up with it? I can run a basic print(ScreenFPS()) program through the AppGameKit player on the device. I realise that I've obviously done something in the update that iOS doesn't like (although nothing seems obvious) but as it just closes without any message it's impossible to debug which is why I'm hoping something might be in some logs somewhere on the device.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2018 22:48
I found the issue. An array was too large for the device/iOS (but is fine on Android)

I have an array that uses a type and inside that type is some more arrays. Something like this:

In the last update I recently increased the arrays in the type from 100 to 200 and that's what broke it. Now that I've found the problem I've left them as 200 as that is what's needed but have reduced the cards array from 1500 to a much smaller number as 1500 is way too much.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Those aren't particularly large or complex arrays so I don't know why the larger size would fail in iOS. Makes me concerned a bit as one app I'm working on currently uses vastly larger and more deeply nested arrays and types (that can reach hundreds of thousands). I have only tried running it on iOS through the AppGameKit Player but it seems to be OK.

One feature that would be greatly beneficial for debugging would be the ability to output the total memory size allocated for variables and arrays. Both overall and more targeted as needed. We can currently see how much memory images are using as well as total device space available but nothing specific to data types. Calculating the size from scratch is also not easy since we can't retrieve the list of them in any easy way.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2018 08:25
There's probably about 20 of those 200 size arrays in the type that was causing the problem. I didn't see if removing some of those 20 odd 200 arrays from the type and keeping everything else the same i.e. the cards array as [1500,4] would have worked but it was definitely this that block of code that was causing the problem.

It may also be too much with all of the other arrays in the app. I'd hate to think how many array elements in total my app has.

When it stopped working for me it stopped working in the AppGameKit player and as an installed app, so seeing as yours is still working in the player I reckon you're probably ok.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:37:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:37:55