Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Strange GetDeviceID Bug with 2018-05-02 on WIndows 7 64-bit

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2018 21:28 Edited at: 17th May 2018 21:32
Our code uses Device ID to identify the user that is working with the app.
However, on WIN7 the device ID changes whenever we are in a different menu / sub-section of the APP.

So image a game with Play mode, menu mode, editor mode, etc. Every single section seems to have a UNIQUE Devied ID. (On WIN8 this doesn't happen)

How is the device determined? And How could it vary inside one and the same program, in different sections???

Thanks for your help, and the great product you guys have built for us.
Abiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2018 17:19 Edited at: 18th May 2018 17:21
Now with program that reproduces the error under win7, it seems to have to do with changing window title, size, and virtual resolution.
See the image attached to see the various output values of GetDeviceID. (Amazingly the call within the function gives same answer always, while the one in the SYNC() loop differs based on window size)

Here is the code form that program:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2018 17:08
I think I've tracked it down but I can't be sure. Can you try the attached version and see if it fixes it?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2018 21:53 Edited at: 22nd May 2018 21:53
I tested Abiz's original code on Windows 7. On my device when I run it from within the AppGameKit IDE, the window title Device ID differs from the printed Device ID but they do not change when I switch between the menus. When I run it as a standalone EXE both IDs match and do not change. So I'm not experiencing the same problem Abiz describes even on Windows 7 (64-bit).

I tested Paul's EXE using the same bytecode and the Device ID matches in both locations just as it does when I run the standalone compiled EXE in the above instance.

P.S., As I understand, the Device ID will change each time the binary is rebuilt. This is also true on iOS/Android if the user deletes the app and downloads it again the device ID will be different. I wish there were a way to establish a permanent device ID similar to UUID in the olden days on mobile which would make storing device/user data much easier than requiring a full user registration system.
Abiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2018 22:39
I will test both the new EXECUTABLE and compiled with the new compiler this Tuesday and report back to the forum.
Abiz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2018 15:35
Tested it all with the new compiler and everything is perfect again!
Thanks!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 21:49:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 21:49:57