Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Microsoft is buying GitHub!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2018 14:43
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2018 19:24
In six months they'll have flopped and MS will have nothing to do with them.

That's a pity, I like Github.

Though on a similarish note, Amazon bought out the Cloud IDE I use, C9, for their AWS service and decided to let existing C9 users get the exact same service they've always had and keep it running as was, which I thought was nice as far as takeovers go.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2018 17:13
Knowing MS, they'll squash it like they did skype. Or it'll be like when Oracle bought java (Sun) and made many developers weep, myself included.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2018 08:54
Github users after the Microsoft announcement:

I have all of my projects on github (over 60 now), moving them to a new service will be a lot of work. I'll wait until something truly terrible happens before moving.

Some alternative options are:
bitbucket.org
gitlab.com
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2018 12:29
Although i am cynical about the news, one thing in their defence is that not all of their take overs have been bad, I mean I know we have seen stuff die in their hands like Skype, Lionhead (though Peter Molyneux can take some credit), Nokia, TrueSpace and so on. Hotmail (as an example) remained popular for years and more recently, LinkedIn, which I didn’t even realise until recently was now owned by Microsoft and I don’t believe anybody lost their heads over it.

So it could not be that bad. I see no reason to jump ship yet, as you say, wait until something bad happens. A number of services out there are already integrated with GitHub so it seems premature to flee (but I have heard of boycotts already). Granted it raises alarm bells for me as MS has a reputation over its takeovers, but no guarantee it’ll be a flop...unless so many people leave out of reaction to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2018 20:02
MS bought LinkedIn? I must've missed that too.

Quote: "unless so many people leave out of reaction to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy."

I think that's totally likely
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Supertino
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2018 14:10
$7.5 billion?! - uh yeah i'd selll if I owned Github... even to Apple . I could then go buy my own private Island next to Branton and invite Obama over to wind surf.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:46:41
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:46:41