Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Found some vintage BASIC games!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2018 11:11 Edited at: 5th Jun 2018 12:14
I found some old BASIC games on a shareware CD-ROM! While I'm certain that they won't work with the AGK2 version of BASIC, I think they are worth a look if you have a soft spot for vintage spaghetti code.

\ARCADE\COSMIC2\COSMIC.BAS

Got more if you want!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2018 12:15
Looks simple enough it could be translated to AppGameKit pretty easily. I still have all my old QB code I did back in the 90s, somewhere.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
You do? My own Qbasic stuff is long gone, sadly.

Could be fun to ressurect some of those old games. I guess they also could be played with dosbox and a Qbasic interpreter.

Two more games:

\ARCADE\CSTLDFNE\CSTLDFNS.BAS

\ARCADE\FLIES\FLY.BAS

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2018 17:01
Look up QB64, doesn't require dosbox.

I ran a website called QNewbie back in the day and was real active with the QB top 100 webring. Yall remember webrings?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 5th Jun 2018 22:39
Quote: "Looks simple enough it could be translated to AppGameKit pretty easily. "

That's how I taught myself to program many years ago on the Apple, BBC and Challenger 4P
With limited understanding of Code for the TRS-80 etc but many source codes available and
other codes available in magazines. For example a program that would rotate a 3d cube. It
really was just a 2d drawing that would use math to plot the points of the cube and draw lines
to them but was one of my very first programs converted.
fubar
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2018 01:30
To be honest, there's things that were done in QB 20 years ago that to this day still impress me.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2018 02:17 Edited at: 6th Jun 2018 02:27
I was very impressed by Zork as it took the text adventure games to the next level instead of just look this get that
you could actualy say go over to the northern wall and examine the box etc Which came out before quick basic was
even invented

Wasn't so much into Ultima which came afterwards but Nethack did get my eye. Nethack evolved from hack and was
an open source c chain software. That anyone could develop for and the describe the changes and upload them to
their site. To me it was amazing altho its graphics consisted of colored ascii characters it was one game that has so many
monsters, amulets, rings, armour, wands etc that even today is unheard of but I believed its what started games like
diablo and now offers the same game which offers the same options but with a replaced character set making it more
appealing called Falcons Eye.
fubar
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool! I wish I had some of my old files I lost all of my projects from before 2003 or so including everything from QBASIC. A lot of classic programs also got lost when most of the old QB websites went offline.

Here is a ZIP file containing 246 QB programs including:

Quote: "Look up QB64, doesn't require dosbox."

I have never had tremendous success with QB64. Many programs I do have on disk won't open and running apps can seem to take a long time. DOSBox still works well though.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jun 2018 07:31
I still have all the "Popular Computing Weekly" magazines from 1981/2 onwards in the loft somewhere. Maybe one day will dig some out and see if I can convert some of the "type in" listings to AGK.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Here! All 14 games in a .zip:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2018 13:30
Maybe I'll look into resurrecting my QB site, just for archival and nostalgic sake. I have hundred of programs from all over. Question is, can I find where I buried hundreds of zip files and will they still open? I have some pascal stuff too.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
A lot of those old basic code had a tradition of making each "line number" increase by 10. So for each line, there are 9 unused numbers where you can insert extra lines later:

I was thinking, today this would make pretty good sense with larger state machines!

By the way, I just learned that Kaptajn Kaper i Kattegat was written in BASIC!
Description here: http://www.ebbemunk.dk/downloads/download_kaper.html

The danish source code is gone, and the site that should host the english source code is gone too, but I managed to find an archive.org backup:
https://web.archive.org/web/20070729075618/http://www.kaptajnkaper.dk/kaper%20source.zip
(The file is attached below)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2018 12:44
Quote: "A lot of those old basic code had a tradition of making each "line number" increase by 10. "

yes that was very handy but then they had an auto renumbering ability put into allot of the programming languages which was good aswell
fubar
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2018 17:02
Well I found some of the only files. Got a 12mb zip of qb source code but unfortunately, my zip of qbasic 4.5 won't open. Date on the zip says 1999, which is probably accurate. I was afraid it got corrupted after transferring so many times over 20 years.

A Doom-like game
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:32:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:32:24