Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Does anyone need a Map Editor?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2018 08:40 Edited at: 11th Jun 2018 10:25
I started working on this map editor. It's simple but neat. If anyone wants to optimize the code/add features, that would be nice. Maybe this will help someone out with their work. I didn't comment the code but it's easy to understand. Check it out.

Edit: File uploaded.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bob Sherman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2018 08:45 Edited at: 11th Jun 2018 08:46

Here is what it looks like.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 11th Jun 2018 09:22
Looks good from the pic but theres no link to the program or code even

I created a level editor open source in AppGameKit you may want to get ideas from
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219932
fubar
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2018 09:54 Edited at: 11th Jun 2018 10:17
In case you want to share the source code for free I think you should use GitHub, maybe some people would contribute to it and develop it further.
But in case you mean you want to sell the software or even share it for free, there is already an official level editor that is interface with AppGameKit and I can run my level from the editor in AppGameKit with a click of a button and use simple commands to address any sprite in the level. I'm happy with that one.
https://www.appgamekit.com/visual-editor

I don't think we should kill an officially supported editor with a free option that may even going to lack development after. Of course everyone is free to try and experiment I'm only sharing my opinion on "do we need an other map editor". At least for Tier 1, but it would be interesting to see a map editor to be used with AGKSharp:
http://madbit.bplaced.com/?page_id=136

I don't personally expect the Visual Editor going to get AGKSharp support in the near future but in my opinion AGKSharp must become an official flavour of AppGameKit and it would be interesting to see a map editor right from the bath to use.
Bob Sherman
Years of Service
User Offline
I have Visual Editor, but the main problem is that is doesn't do tiled maps. It's also frustrating waiting for the development of it as well. I wished Visual Editor did tiles, then I would be so happy!
nonom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2018 10:38
Bob Sherman wrote: "I started working on this map editor. "

Thanks for sharing! and keep up the good work, it looks promising!

Nice tool and user interface showcase
http://www.nyan.cat/pirate
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2018 11:34 Edited at: 11th Jun 2018 11:39
Quote: " the main problem is that is doesn't do tiled maps. It's also frustrating waiting for the development"

I can see your point, there are a few people who do actually make their own level editor for similar reasons or simply because at the time they started there was no Visual Editor and we had lack of support for 3rd party editors.
But my point is, your map editor would be no different, it would lack features you don't need unless you make it open-source or invest time and money to compete with Visual Editor and add all the same features and more and better features. There is nothing wrong with competition and I do value the offer but really, I can't see the point of an other map editor being developed slowly in spare time and missing a bunch of features unless you make it open-source so we might end up with a community made editor having all the features we all want or step up for the task to compete with Visual Editor. It would may even speed up the development of Visual Editor too if want to survive or kill it but I really don't want that to happen unless you make something really great and actively developed.

But as I mentioned, I could see the potential in a map editor for AGKSharp, that way you don't need to compete with Visual Editor and it would benefit AGKSharp and it users. But of course if you are making this for your own needs and you are using Tier 1, I can understand if it out of question.
Bob Sherman
Years of Service
User Offline
All Visual Editor has to do, is make it so you can add tilemaps. I'm not competing with it, I just decided to release a early stage of what I was working on. I see your points and I value your feedback. I hope either someone takes this and makes it cool, or Visual Editor adds more features. I paid for it a while back and it seems that the development is really slow. I can understand that it's tough developing something like that.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2018 16:48
the TGC visual editor can do tile maps, you just need to set the grid to a sprite of the desired tile size, it's not perfect but it does the job.
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2018 21:33 Edited at: 11th Jun 2018 21:34
I use Tiled to create tilemap levels.
https://www.mapeditor.org/

Its free (or you can pay if you want to) and it works well. I have the TGK visual editor which is useful, but i prefer to use tiled as its just much more capable for working with tilemap levels. Plus you can load the created tilemap into AppGameKit pretty easily. Theres a library on this forum somewhere that does work ok - well it does after a bit of faffing .

I created my own loader library so the maps can be loaded as a 3d object and used with lights. I also made a shader to render the the whole map on one sprite so its a fair bit quicker then drawing individual sprites per tile. It also uses the Tiled .json format directly so AGK's json loader does all the parsing on loading so the loads are nice, easy and quick too! So one function loads the tilemap and the tiles then you can display which layers you want to and position it on the screen or in 3d if wanted.

A very simple example....

I could share it if anyone wants it...the other library on here is more functional though as mine doesnt animate tiles due to the shader used.
DMJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2018 05:23
If you wanna share the lib, that would be super nice!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2018 15:50
I also use Tiled, hence my importer:
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219035

I've had plans for awhile to expand on this from just a map loader to an entire framework with pathfinding built-in. As A* confuses a lot of people (even myself), I thought folks would appreciate not having to rework the existing A* library to work with isometric (staggered) and hexagonal maps. I didn't write the original but I ported Ian's to agk and think I have a good enough understanding to adapt it to any 2D map style.

I just haven't had much time to work on AppGameKit projects lately.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Bengismo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2018 16:12
Yeah, its your library that I was referring to above...

I'm not sure if your library and clonkex's library were separate or ended up being the same one or not but they are both good.

Just having the tilemap loader working well and easy to use is a great help to everyone.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2018 14:07
If I remember correctly, Clonkex expanded on my first version of the loader and built onto it after I stopped working on it. That prompted me to pick it back up and release V2. I'm not entirely sure where his progress ended but I think my latest version supports the most features. I'll look back at the project again when I have time, whenever that is. I have a list a mile long of projects to do on my property.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
DMJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 18:08
Hey Phaelax, could you please make a tutorial. That would really help! Thank you!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 18:14
A tutorial on how to use it or how I wrote it?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 8th Aug 2018 10:28
Heres a good tutorial on a level editor which may help http://davidjohnwheeler.blogspot.com/2015/04/level-editor.html
fubar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:26:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:26:07