Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Opening Unity FBX animations with AGK.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2018 11:34
Hello

I found a nice Unity asset pack for my game. I downloaded the asset pack and extracted the files from it.
Now, Unity seems to expect the animations in a seperate .fbx file with just the animated skeleton in it.

So I have a base model that looks like this in Autodesk FBX viewer:

And I have multiple animations like this _walk animations.fbx, which looks like this in Autodesk FBX viewer:

What is the best way to use this format in AppGameKit?
Thanks a bunch!
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2018 12:05
I dont know the steps involved but I think you can use fragMOTION to combine the animations with the model, I think there was a guide posted on the GameGuru forums a while back.
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2018 13:42
Thanks PartTimeCoder

I searched some more on this topic, and found Mixamo, really nice site from Adobe which automatically handles animation of an object.

So I uploaded the base model, and per animation, I get an FBX, like this one:

What is the best way to use this in AppGameKit? Setting objects invisible? Or is there a way to say to AGK: This one is base, this model is animation walk, this file is animation attack and so on.

Thanks a bunch
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2018 13:48
Your going to zap memory pretty quick if you have a model for each animation, as I understand all animations should be combined into a single model and you tell AppGameKit what frames to play for each animation, does Mixamo allow you to stack the animations?
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 02:31
Well, maybe:

try to use blender to merge the animations into one fbx,
there you can also name the single animations, in order to play them in AGK.
You may need a custom .fbx export plugin for blender in order to export the sequence names.

This workflow is quite hard to get, but you will recieve exactly what you want.

[/url]
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 12:31
Mixamo does not stack the anims, sadly. You have to merge them in a package like blender or max or similar capable programs. it would indeed be nice if we could load animations separated from a model, and attach them at will. if you got a couple models with the same bone structure and they could share animations, that would be nice to have. this way you can add new animations without using the modeller.
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 14:13
Ok, I will have to merge them. Will check this out.

Quote: "it would indeed be nice if we could load animations separated from a model, and attach them at will. if you got a couple models with the same bone structure and they could share animations, that would be nice to have. this way you can add new animations without using the modeller."

This would be very nice indeed, and we would 'win' compatibility with a lot of the Unity asset store, as most modellers seem to create models this way these days.
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2018 01:17
+1 for AddObjectAnimation anyway

[/url]
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jun 2018 11:45 Edited at: 26th Jun 2018 11:45
I use Fragmotion for merging animations into one. Is very easy to do. I can do a short vid showing how to do it if it helps. I did the same for HL2 models/animations that were separate.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Carharttguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2018 13:21
Hi Bord of the Rings, that would be awesome, But I cannot find how to import .fbx in Fragmotion, or is there some kind of plugin or so?
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
You can use blender, as well. Import all the armatures/animations into blender. With the main armature selected go into pose mode. Be sure to have all the bones selected on your main armature. Now, go to the dope sheet. Make sure you have nothing selected in the dope sheet. Now, select the all the frames from an armature/animation you want to merge, and copy the poses by CTRL+C(make sure only that armature is highlighted. Go to the frame you want to paste your animations, and under the armature you want to paste it to. Now, CTRL+V to paste it in. Be sure you had the correct armature selected or it will paste the animation to every armature.

That's the fast and dirty guide to merging animations. Once you get the hang of it, its very fast.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 21:49:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 21:49:02