Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Looking For Interest] AGK for Java/Kotlin

Author
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2018 21:23 Edited at: 4th Jul 2018 05:56
Hi Guys,

Update, this has been released. Please see forum post here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222554

Over the past few days I have taken the AppGameKit Native Library and created Java bindings for it. This means that AppGameKit can now be used with Java (or even Kotlin), allowing users access to things such as OOP (Classes, Interfaces, Inheritance), JSwing, JavaFX, Java libraries, etc. However, I am wondering if there is any interest within the community for this? Since the Java Native Interface requires a shared library (DLL) I would have to get permission from TGC to release AppGameKit Java (like AGKSharp and AppGameKit for Python had to do). I am trying to gauge interest to see if it's worth speaking with TGC?

Below is the "MovingSprites" example code converted to AppGameKit for Java:

Sean
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2018 13:42
I'd be interested as I was a java guy in the past. Would this only work in windows?
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2018 16:52
@Hockeykid TGC would be very supportive of your Java/Kotlin variant (as have done with the Python and C# methods). Drop me an email and we can work this out.
Development Director
TGC Team
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'd be interested as I was a java guy in the past. Would this only work in windows?"

Right now it's only Windows, but porting to Mac and Linux should be pretty easy.

Quote: "TGC would be very supportive of your Java/Kotlin variant (as have done with the Python and C# methods). Drop me an email and we can work this out."

Email sent

Sean
Richard_6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2018 12:43 Edited at: 26th Jun 2018 12:44
Soon we might have something like this:
Quote: "
Choose your preferred language and start today your game on AGK:
- C++
- C#
- Phyton
- Java
- Agk Basic"

Sounds very promising.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2018 15:39
Quote: " converted to AppGameKit for Java"

except this AGKLib. syntax i like java
AGK (Steam) V2017.12.12 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : NVIDIA (390.65) GeForce GTX 1050 Ti : Mac mini OS High Sierra (10.13)
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2018 21:04
Who wants to wrap AppGameKit for Brainf*** next? lol
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I've reached out Rick and we should have a release here soon for Windows. After that I can start looking into Linux and Mac releases too (should be straightforward) and maybe even Android (some performance testing here would need to be done).

Sean
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Update, this has been released. Please see forum post here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222554

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:32:38
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:32:38