Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Official]Three Keywords Game Jam[July 9th - 16th]

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2018 01:15 Edited at: 17th Jul 2018 01:15
I'm not finished... too many nice opportunities distracted me this week (making money takes priority!)... BUT I have made good progress with my game, and will finish this little cave flying shooter.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2018 02:20
Doesn't look like I'll get hardly anything in. I've racked my brain for hours trying to wrap it around auto-tiling, something I've attempted to tackle before. I still can't come up with a solid working solution. Every method I come up with has flaws.

Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 17th Jul 2018 03:56
Its a pity that you didn't finish but I like the way the piping works and the idea phaelax
Wouldve loved to see how you got the wiring to show the power. A sort of pipe dream
which showing the water flow partially through the pipes I always wondered how to
achieve this best in AGK
fubar
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2018 10:09
I have seen all your apps on the submission thread and all remarkably well designed apps. I do like the Pipe one Phaelax and always liked those style ones - got me thinking now....

Anyway, all that have missed the boat for the deadlines, I wouldnt worry too much, take your designs and keep up with them - they all could end up of been really good projects for you all to develop more on making
a robust game for potentially selling.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2018 14:33
I liked this challenge because the 3 random words makes you come up with something more creative and different.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2018 20:53
Hi guys, not been on here for a while as been really busy but like the idea of the game jams and hopefully can get involved myself in the future. Entries look really good!
Would be good to do one on a regular basis and could even coincide with a well known one like Ludum Dare, where all the entries are submitted here for local competition and also on eg Ludum Dare at the same time to enter the main one. Would get great exposure for AppGameKit too then.

Great work guys!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2018 23:20 Edited at: 17th Jul 2018 23:25
@CJB
Just curious if you used UV shifting in the tunnel effect?

Because when I saw your screenshots and the words neverending I thought UV shifting is perfect here
But keeping track of where sections of the texture map is, being the tricky part
fubar
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2018 02:48
Phaelax, I’m curious what you mean by “auto tiling”

I’m looking for something to do for a few days
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2018 03:57
Quote: "Phaelax, I’m curious what you mean by “auto tiling”"

I assume he means that when you click on a empty space next to a wire space, it puts the new wire in the empty space facing the correct direction based on the previous wire...and the previous wire would change into a corner piece rotated correctly, if the new wire piece creates a corner and isn't continuing a straight line.

Makes sense? lol
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
I finally get to check out the games! A few thoughts:

BookOfPortals
Like my own entry, this game is heavily focused on its visuals. Curiously enough, I felt the gameplay detracted from the experience since I intuitively wanted to play it as an exploration game, where I could explore the world in my own pace.
In recent years, this has been the first non-VR game where the visuals truly wooed me! The knowledge that the visuals are actually code really make one see them in another light.

FreeTheFowl
Couldn't compile this either. Hope IronManhood gets it fixed. Anyways, nice AppGameKit logo at the start!

DSV Goldenrod 4
Sounds, visuals and gameplay really go well together. The twin missiles create a good rhythm. Nice parallax too! The only downside is that the game feels too easy once you get into its mechanics. I think it should get increasingly harder over time, or start out super-hard.

Electric Cat Creations
Good use of the keywords! Good title too. But never finished. For shame!

Captain Stochastic
Really good and polished! The auto-generated plants really feels alive. Much more so than if it had just used sprites.

Dépaysement
Good visuals, but they come at the cost of coding. The actual gameplay was implemented way too late. This wouldn't have been a problem if the game was more laid-back. But the unforgiving gameplay with enemies suddenly appearing only 400 pixels in front of the player requires a really sharp level design, which just isn't there. That said, I'm able to beat it myself, so it can't be that hard!

A general suggestion: I think the games could benefit greatly from fullscreen mode! Makes it more immersive, I think. Games like Captain Stochastic are pretty hard on the eye when seen in a little window on a small monitor.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2018 14:01 Edited at: 18th Jul 2018 14:36
Quote: "A general suggestion: I think the games could benefit greatly from fullscreen mode! "

I agree just couldnt remember what was required to make it do so

Quote: " I felt the gameplay detracted from the experience since I intuitively wanted to play it as an exploration game"

I think more like a story you create you mean? During testing the book part became very anoying to me i tried to have you teleport
in and out of book but didnt like it all that much and tried to add to the story with the fading text. The teleports were meant to be
a tunnel effect but couldnt see how else to achieve this. But thanks for your kind words and suggestions

I do think allot of them could be polished but with the limited time think everybody has done well

Most people want to win first prize but ide be happy with the booby prize. lol ok note to self I must remember this is a pg forum
I must remember I must lol

Goodluck everyone
fubar
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2018 14:10
Quote: "I assume he means that when you click on a empty space next to a wire space, it puts the new wire in the empty space facing the correct direction based on the previous wire...and the previous wire would change into a corner piece rotated correctly, if the new wire piece creates a corner and isn't continuing a straight line."

Exactly. No matter what I come up with, there's also some condition I find that'll break it.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2018 14:32
@Phaelax

Pseudocode

fubar
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2018 18:45
I've uploaded the compiled exe to the submission thread.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2018 19:56 Edited at: 14th Aug 2018 11:29
@CJB how did you go with your cave flying shooter?

As your project was circuit I thought perhaps you may be interested in using a circuit shader
currently Three 2D shaders but is easy enough to make either one a 3D shader
fubar
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
You can do THAT with shaders? How did you even -- I mean, like ... wow!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2018 09:49
@basicFanatic

Theres some good ones on puzzlers page https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222754
and I have more on this page https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222027

Quote: "People create whole worlds in shaders "

fubar
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2018 12:33
That is a really awesome shader effect! I mean, I only get 1fps on my work laptop, but it's still neat as heck!
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 15th Aug 2018 18:30
They are nice arent they!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:04:17
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:04:17