Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Big Project, Where to start!? DB help required

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 00:39
Good morning fellow DBPro'ers. It has indeed been a very long time since I installed this software!

I have a bit of a task on my hands... Im trying to use DBPro to create :
1. a data entry program for windows or tablet, that will store information to an SQL or an Excel workbook
2. create a second program that will use this information to create a sort of invoice sheet that will then print to an external printer
3. finally a third program for querying the data stored

Problem is... I've used this software for 3D games, not data entry programs, and I've no clue how to communicate these programs to an SQL server...

Any information / guidance would be appreciated
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 03:24 Edited at: 5th Jul 2018 03:27
If you want to do it in DBP:
- You need plugins for each step.
- Printing should be possible, aswell as sql.

Try following search term in google in order to speed things up:
dbp yourquery site:forum.thegamecreators.com
for example:
dbp sql plugin site:forum.thegamecreators.com

But maybe you want to consider python or c++ for this task,
as DBP relies on DirectX 9C and you are better off with a gui-less software, for at least most of the part.

[/url]
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 11:33 Edited at: 5th Jul 2018 11:33
I'm a PL-SQL/SQL/Database expert if you need any help, advice. I used to install MySQL and install the mysql driver to get DBPro to work with SQL. I also have CattleRustlers old MySQL dll if it helps.
Professional Programmer, languages: SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, DBPro, Purebasic, JavaScript, others
Squall alias Leon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 20:21
Thanks for the replies guys!

I could definitely do with some advice on this...

I have MySQL already... I use it to run my own private server for me and my daughter of an oooooold game... However i am in no means an expert, very much a beginner...

So... Where to start? I have DBPro from my old days, MySQL and VS Community edition, MS Office, notepad (obvisously lol)... What else is required to make forms? or add-ons for sql (or) excel connections?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2018 01:48 Edited at: 12th Jul 2018 01:51
There was an old old printing plugin I think it was called dark ink or something, you can probably still find it with a site search.

That said, dbpro really wasn't designed around these types of programs, it can do it, but it would almost certainly be easier done in c# or python
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:41:52
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:41:52