Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Please help me with finishing my map editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been working on this map editor on my spare time. I got pretty far. I mainly have problems with the save/load command, may I please get some help. The only other thing I need to figure out, would be to add a way to pick the tiles.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2018 14:13 Edited at: 7th Jul 2018 14:20
1) What issues are you having with saving and loading?

2) What do you mean by "pick the tiles"? Do you mean selecting tiles?

3) We need a code example to diagnose your issues or at the very least, a very detailed explanation of the issues.

4) I don't think people will have a problem helping you with coding issues if you provide snippets or the full code but you will be hard pressed to find someone willing to finish your project for you.
CodeMonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2018 19:32
I can help you for a fee, I've worked on editors before.
I sent you a PM. Please check it out.
www.skywaygame.com
www.facebook.com/skywaythegame
Bob Sherman
Years of Service
User Offline
1) What issues are you having with saving and loading?

For some reason, it doesn't load correctly. The tiles seem missing or off.

2) What do you mean by "pick the tiles"? Do you mean selecting tiles?

I don't know how I would go about to having the software have a tile selection area, or how I would choose a tile to draw with.

3) We need a code example to diagnose your issues or at the very least, a very detailed explanation of the issues.

I've included a zip next to the picture, I will post my code though, thank you. The save/load and tile selection are my biggest huddles right now.

4) I don't think people will have a problem helping you with coding issues if you provide snippets or the full code but you will be hard pressed to find someone willing to finish your project for you.

Thank you for your input. I do need help and it means a lot.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bob Sherman
Years of Service
User Offline
I've tried a lot of different methods for saving and loading, would be best to save and load the map as a type so I can add layers and objects. I've tried a lot of things. I need help. I don't even know how Im going to have tile selection. I thought maybe load an atlas on another layer. I still learning though. Im kinda lost.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 12:49
Just build a binary format. Think about your data in your editor. What information do you need to retain to recreate the map? Write it out to a file. What information is needed for each tile, an image number? Other properties?

The first two integers of your file could be the map dimensions, or number of tiles. This lets you know how much data is to follow next, which contains the information about each tile. If we write the tiles in order from left to right and top to bottom sequentially, it's pretty simple to build a format.

(I just made everything an integer since agk stores everything in 4 bytes anyway)

Saving the file....

Loading the file....

My syntax might not be 100%, I haven't used the file commands in awhile.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Bob Sherman
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Phaelax for the help. How would I define the MyUDT? as a Type?
Thanks again for the help.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 13:51 Edited at: 10th Jul 2018 13:51
UDT = User Defined Type

Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:11:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:11:36