Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Hollow Objects?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm just wondering if there is a way to hollow out objects in 3d, for example, an empty cylinder, maybe with a cut in a side?
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 16:53 Edited at: 9th Jul 2018 16:55
i believe you can convert the mesh with memblocks commands and can modify it there or make a new mesh from memory block.
https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/Reference/Memblock.htm
u can't use a 3d tool?
AGK (Steam) V2017.12.12 : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit : NVIDIA (390.65) GeForce GTX 1050 Ti : Mac mini OS High Sierra (10.13)
Zen Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm all self taught, and I only teach myself what I need to know. I'm foraying into 3d because of game jam. So it's a brand new pool for me. I wasn't aware I could use mesh with AppGameKit, so I'll have to look into that.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 20:16
Good luck
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 13:48
Typically, the backface of a polygon is hidden for performance reasons. If you can turn culling off for the object, then positioning a camera inside the cylinder would give the appearance of being in a hollow tube. But you'd still have the end caps. To delete those caps you'd have to edit the mesh. If you want more a tube, a hollow cylinder but with an actual thickness to the sides, then you'd definitely have to make a custom mesh.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 16:19
Quote: "I'm just wondering if there is a way to hollow out objects in 3d, for example, an empty cylinder, maybe with a cut in a side? "

Yes you can move the vertexs with memblocks the hard part is figuring out which ones to move
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222027 Ive done this a bit on this thread
there is a 3D Apple that is indented in the top made from a sphere for example. Ive also done this
in my night driving template moved the vertexes of a box to make it a bit more real, and sent all
the vertexs in a random direction for an explosion effect

fubar
Zen Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
I’ve decided to solve it a low tech way, just wish I could make age3d work, its a pain editing all the locations manually.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2018 07:38 Edited at: 11th Jul 2018 07:44
In blender you can use the Boolean modifier tool to cut holes through the mesh. You would use the difference under options - then just clean up any leftover mess. Lots of videos on Youtube that explain it better.

Took about 2 minutes, and I am pretty much a rookie.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:53:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:53:21