Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 00:39 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2018 04:46
Work in progress At the moment you can walk through a random maze collecting
coins and health packs trying to get to the end of maze. Then you go to a new maze, if you
take too long a bad guy who follows you kills you seen at end of video.

any ideas or suggestions ?

Im just not sure what i could add to give it more lasting appeal. I could perhaps have other
things scattered accross the maze like spikes or something that you have to pick up before
you walk into them not sure.

What do you think of like rope traps that if you don't disarm before moving on them you lose a life
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 16:22
The level map is very distracting. I can see where it would be useful to you during development but in the game itself I think it would be better to either shrink the level map to a very tiny section maybe in upper left corner OR just lose the 3D view and make the game played on the top down 2D level map itself.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 17:34
Quote: "The level map is very distracting"

It can be toggled on and off
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 18:17
Ah sorry about that. I completely missed that gui on bottom right and video shows it on constantly so thought this was how it is. Lol Toggle makes sense.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 18:21 Edited at: 1st Aug 2018 18:22
Might be fun to be able to set traps for the psycho chasing you.

Maybe some oil can be found and used that causes psycho to slide straight ahead until he crashes into a wall or moves a certain number of grid units.

Maybe can lay down trip wire that trips him for a tiny bit of time.

Could even make it like a twist on pac-man where you can find a weapon and now the hunter becomes the hunted.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 18:34 Edited at: 1st Aug 2018 20:15
That's some interesting ideas,

I have been using the psycho as kind of a death timer so if you take too long you die as he just follows your last steps

But that gives me an idea for a trap that if you don't disarm it first, it will keep the player there for a little bit
fubar
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 20:29
Making smoother movement would be good. Stepping straight ahead is okay, but how about a 2-or-3-step turn when you change direction?
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2018 22:15 Edited at: 1st Aug 2018 22:18
The whole thing is kind of a grid where you move in the grid well kind of, the grid is made up of sections of size 4 where you move 2 parts at a time
and I have been avoiding using a character controller, as character controllers move by a speed and not by a set ammount. So instead i use the
move local commands on a player object. Which only works correct with angles 0,90,180, or 270. But i hear what you are saying I did mess around
with the character controller method which didnt seem to work well with the collisions of the health packs and coins even if i turned the collisions
off and did a ray cast. I beleive the issue is to do with scaling not impossible to work around, but i thought it would be much simpler to use a section
style movement and rotation this also makes the gameplay a little easier as its more a race against time to get to the other end. If i come up with
a better method that still is easy to use on a mobile il definately change it

With that said I could just rotate 45 degrees at a time or any factor that would divide into 365 it just might make the movements confusing
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2018 08:35 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2018 08:38
Now available on android for free

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pixelated.labrynth

Does someone want to try and give some feedback ?
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2018 15:37 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2018 15:38
Based on my playthrough it would be helpful I think if the player symbol on the map was simply an arrow pointing in the current direction facing. I couldn't really tell which way I was looking on the map and read it in reverse most of the time due to the shape I think. A nice bright arrow and slightly thicker lines for the walls (some seem ultra thin) on the map would help a lot when using it I think.

Also again from a developer perspective I think seeing the trail the player is laying down is helpful but from a player perspective it makes me think I should go back and pick up the coins. I think it would be good to hide that trail. Be much less clutter cleaner display for the map as well.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2018 17:21 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2018 18:01
Thanks GarBenjamin

Quote: " it would be helpful I think if the player symbol on the map was simply an arrow pointing in the current direction facing. I couldn't really tell which way I was looking on the map and read it in reverse most of the time due to the shape I think."

I had the same problem, its meant to be a player holding a torch but your right it should be an arrow pointing in the direction.

Changed it like this
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2018 18:18 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2018 18:48
Quote: "thicker lines for the walls"

Easy enough to change as I draw them with the box command they are already two pixel thick perhaps need to be 3 pixel thick

The problem is what works well in windows often is not as good on mobile ie I found it allot harder on mobile and put it down
to my lack of skill on using mobile device lol. I had to significantly change the start-times of the bad guy and how long he waits at
each visited location. Which both decrease with level increases
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2018 03:07
Just checked it out again and it is much better! The map is MUCH more readable now had no problems with it at all.

The gates are a cool addition too. Maybe they were in there before and I just never made it to one but I went through several this play through.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2018 15:44 Edited at: 6th Aug 2018 08:10
Thanks GarBenjamin

took blinkOk advice and added normal maps

fubar
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2018 06:40
why not a randomizer each time the level starts with wath wall texture is being used
And have at least 4 differrent ones.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2018 07:14 Edited at: 8th Aug 2018 07:59
I was thinking applying a random color to the wall just haven't tried it yet and not sure if its a good ide but I might try that

now incorporates random wall color changes on completion of levels
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2018 23:24
So random wall colors and darkened the posters as they stood out too much and surrounded them with neon lights
That's the cosmetics Done. I also changed the size of the move buttons and the toggle map button making it a lot
easier on mobile. Apart from perhaps making it a little harder think im done

fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 14:18 Edited at: 9th Aug 2018 16:32
Looking very good! Your focus on polish definitely made quite a difference. I think when the player reaches the exit there should be some kind of success indicator / reward other than hearing a sound and seeing the word GO.

One way would be to have it display the amount of time it took and the number of coins NOT collected. Kind of an in-between levels screen or could just float it on top of the existing level display.

Just throwing that out because once I reached the end it was like "what you just did had no meaning... BUT... now you can immediately do it all over again on a new level! GO!!"

OH something that might be very cool is to have some prisoners / lost people in there just a couple on each level and player can find those as well. When reach end show found(or rescued) x/x people.

Another thing for replayability is put one very special thing in the levels but it never appears on first 2 levels.

If the player finds that... when they reach the end show text "You found the WhateverItIs!!" otherwise show "You did not find the WhateverItIs!". I think that would encourage people to play again looking for it.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 18:09
Thanks GarBenjamin

I love the ideas especially the one about rescuing prisoners

Showing a progress time is a good idea too and/or collected coins

Gives me something to work with
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 20:20 Edited at: 9th Aug 2018 20:22
Glad you appreciate them and glad to help in a tiny bit of way.

I was thinking... you could also add a sense of progression when each level starts have it say something like ESCAPE LEVEL XX where XX is the level number. Maybe have level number start at 99. And each time they reach the level exit show YOU ASCEND... which basically adds some context like they are trapped in either a huge structure or even underground and must work there way through each maze slowly working their way to the top where they would escape for real and win the game.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 23:28 Edited at: 10th Aug 2018 00:12
That's not a bad idea will think about it for sure but for now
I added prisoners and bonuses on exit level with a click screen to go on

your probably right tho about ascending levels or even perhaps descending like nethack rescue the amulet of yendor
and then bring it to the surface that's possible something else I could add a special item at so many level down where the
idea is to get it then make your way back out say 10 down the 10 back up and you've completed game. Not sure what kind
of item to have wether il use object planes as I have done with the prisoners and bad boy or wether I can get a 3d object
that would be suitable
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2018 01:34 Edited at: 12th Aug 2018 04:22
I thought ide have a play around with transparent videos
and did this to the main page

By stopping the video prior to playing the game it doesn't effect the frame rates on my mobile
and the video is only 940kb mp4 file so I may keep it

Im just curious what compatibility issues I could have?
Just did some research and H264 mp4 is compatible with android 3 and above
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2018 15:34
That's very interesting I would have thought that was a shader or a combo model particle animation FX. Not an actual video. Very creative!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2018 16:42
Nah definitely a video, used them all the time in GDK and Darkbasic it made for great explosions
and smoke effects and was rather simple to do. In GDK and Darkbasic it used very little frame rates
but in AppGameKit there is no way to play a movie on loop so you have to keep calling the playvideotoimage
command and you have to setimagetransparency and then set spritetransparencymode to 2. So not
really sure how useful it is for effects in games in AppGameKit which has the advantage of shaders and makes
use of some great particle commands

Im thinking it really should be pixelated to continue with the theme of pixelation. I downloaded a free
program called wax 2.0 which has the ability to pixelate a video but thats one of the directx plugins lol
i just have to find the folder to add to Waxs path then i might try pixelating the video. But i made a
shader today that does 2D pixelation. So to Pixelated Labrynth when the bad guy punches you it copies
the background to an image then shows a pixelated the image behind the onscreen buttons and texts.
The pixelated image and sprite is then deleted so as it cant effect the frame rate of game play. Thats
version 13 on google, well really should be 1.012 or something like that lol

fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2018 23:20 Edited at: 14th Aug 2018 09:42
Ok I think im Done the flames now have pixilation and I have also cut down on the
size of the APK file and added end of level effect and some performance upgrades

Would love to have the pixelated flames as I walked through the maze but that seems to have an effect on the frame rate
fubar
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2018 10:41
Looks alot better then the last time i looked at it
I could do a better brick texture for you if you want?
In greyscales so it looks alot better if you only change the object colors on walls..
One texture for all levels but looks still differrent…
But be warned iam very much in to pixels
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2018 14:10 Edited at: 18th Aug 2018 22:42
Quote: "Looks alot better then the last time i looked at it "

Thanks
The videos not up-to-date with the latest version as it now uses planes
Quote: "I could do a better brick texture for you if you want?"

Im sure you could mine was code generated then put into gimp to pixelate I also added normals which makes it look more like bricks

If I do another graphic update it may be spider webs in the corners lol but that would need transparency and likely to effect FPS
but taking a break more just thinking how I could make it into more of a story in the google store so as it sounds more appealing to
download

This is the video using planeobjects

I also submitted to two dogs for feedback http://www.gamedevcompany.com/ they do good free positive feedback.
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2018 17:58 Edited at: 16th Aug 2018 17:58
You've really polished this up!! I agree about the story aspect maybe some progression and look forward to that update. Anyway very nice work on this so far and quite quickly too!
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2018 21:01 Edited at: 18th Aug 2018 22:42
Thanks GarBenjamin

The storyline so far

Not the most exciting story but trying to keep in the made for families category in googleplay
fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2018 22:39
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2018 07:07
Great fubpark and thanks again for testing my game and sorry for not returning the favor so far

I promise i will sooner or later when things calm down..
i only wanted to share that you should do a raycast check before creating any walls and placing them ...

The puzzler code creates alot of duplicate walls at the same positions.

I had around 90-120 on my small maps...

col=objectraycast(0,cells[a].x*4, 1.65, cells[a].y*4,cells[a].x*4, 1.65, cells[a].y*4-2.5)
if col>0 then inc unusedWalls
if cells[a].walls[0] = 1 and col=0 // bottom
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2018 09:09 Edited at: 21st Aug 2018 17:21
Thanks Cliff
Quote: "The puzzler code creates allot of duplicate walls at the same positions."

I never noticed that so i changed this code to

Strangely enough i shouldve realised as i noticed a simliar issue with the posters and do a clean up routine

With that change it goes from 350 walls to 280 approx. and doesn't seem to be missing any. thanks again
fubar
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2018 11:29
I could at least give something back to you for playtesting my game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:25:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:25:01