Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / BUG: StartScreenRecording() issue on Android

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 23:06
I'm poking at a bug I encountered & posted a few months ago.

I want to use StartScreenRecording() in an Android app in conjunction with SetDeviceCameraToImage(). When I first call StartScreenRecording(), my Android phone warns me that "[APP NAME] will start capturing everything that's displayed on your screen." I accept the warning message, and the app saves my screen to an mp4.

So far so good.

However, when the Android warning comes up, there's an option to click "Don't show again" on that warning message. If I click it to permanently hide the warning, then the StartScreenRecording() feature will only run fine that one time, after which it will crash the app every subsequent time I try to use it.

Which means that once I've permanently hidden the warning message, the only way I can get StartScreenRecording() to not crash is to clear my app preferences so that I get the warning message again. This is problematic because I think many users will click "Don't show again" on the warning without giving it a second thought.

Here's the original post where I tracked down the issue (thanks to fubarpk for helping me figure this out):
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222262
I'm seeing this issue on both a Samsung Galaxy S8 and also an older LG phone running 5.1.1.

Can this be fixed? Or is anyone else successfully using this on Android after permanently hiding the warning message?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2018 15:13
There has been a small change to the screen recording for the next version that may fix this, although it sounds like it may be something different, try the attached version and see if you get the same result. If it still crashes then I'll need to see the log from the device, you can do this by going into the device settings and finding the Developer Options section right at the bottom. If this doesn't exist then you will need to unlock it by going into the About section, finding the Build Number field and tapping it repeatedly until the developer mode is unlocked. Then in the Developer Options section the first option should be Take Bug Report, which will make a copy of the device log and save it to a file and then ask you what to do with it. If you can send it to me at paul@thegamecreators.com then I'll see if I can find out what's going on. Note that taking a bug report must be done soon after the error occurs as the log only holds data for a certain amount of time before it gets overwritten, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes a day.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2018 15:35
Is there anyway you can make this bug reporting method a little more visible to people please? I always find reporting bugs on the forum a bit hit and miss.

I'm going to try this bug report method later for the notification problem I'm experiencing. I have developer options on already.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:55:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:55:11