Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] cut and slice - VR

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2018 17:44
not really got a name for this yet, it's basically fruit ninja VR to music
the idea being that the objects spawn depending on the beats in the music (beat detection system needs a little bit of work but the basic system is there) and you slice them to pieces
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zlfbaOw2ZgPbpB0VTCe3zQTT3IECGKqa
(sorry can't upload the video to youtube due to the music, it'll get copyrighted)

i'll add some decals and an actual objective / health bar next

anyone who has a vive and wants to play with it keep an eye on the thread, i'll likely release a demo soon (few days ~ a week) - if there's any interest of course, i appreciate that not many of us likely own a vive.
p.s. frame rate is low because it's being recorded, runs at a smooth 90fps normally.
life's one big game
spec= 4ghz, 16gb ram, AMD R9 2700 gpu

Attachments

Login to view attachments
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds good!

I have some random brainstorm -- hope it can be of use!

BOXVR, Audioshield and Beatsaber forces the player to hit specific targets with specific hands. (Left hand: red targets, right hand: blue targets) This works pretty well. However, if any hand could hit any target, then the player could make up his own strategy. For instance, a target might have a shield which made it difficult to hit it with the right hand, or a series of targets might line up perfectly for a left hand slash.

The player could also have a sword and a shield.

If you go for dual blades, remember that both blades might hit a target at the same time.

I think would prefer a weapon which would fit the light weight of a hand controller. I think a wakizashi or a dagger. There are some weapon assets in that Game Guru thing.

Instead of the targets traveling towards the player, the player could be the one moving. So he's standing on a speeding vehicle or on a conveyor belt.

Since you already have detected the spatial position of the collision, this could be used to add some particle effects. Droplets of water, flames, sparks, etc.

Speaking of cutting, the game Katana X really got some solid cutting physics. Too bad it was abandoned.
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2018 15:03
@smallg would you be interested in jazzing this up with some better models, sounds etc? I'd like to make it into a demo for the VR DLC.
Development Director
TGC Team
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2018 17:55
If you need help with some 3D models, hit me up. Unless Rick is offering to give you some 3D objects. Either way, I'd love to take this demo for a ride and look into VR programming with AGK.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2018 18:41
thanks for the offers but sorry, the project died as i was unhappy with the results - perhaps in future i'll look into it again but for now i have another VR project on the go (outside of AppGameKit i'm afraid)
life's one big game
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2018 08:22
OK smallg, thanks anyway, good luck with your new project.
Development Director
TGC Team
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2018 17:26
@smallg just curious: what about the results did you not like? What would you need to see changed or improved to use the agk vr in the future?
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
smallg
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2018 18:30
It wasn't anything to do with the vr really, I couldn't get the physics to behave consistently when trying to put some force on the new objects (after being cut etc and also when hitting the ground), they kept getting stuck against each other or not moving... And then sometimes they would work fine... Couldn't work out why.

The current version I have is rather broken now otherwise I'd be happy to post it and let someone else take over but in its current form I'm afraid it would be just as much work to get it working as it would to just make your own.. :p
life's one big game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:09:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:09:03