Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Largest game made with AGK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 16:22
So speaking strictly production and gameplay value, putting aside mini games and apps, has anyone made a fully fledged story driven PC game using AppGameKit?
Eisenstadt Studio: Eisenstadtstudio.com
Composers Page: Milesthatch.net
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 17:58 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 18:02
I don't think there are any AAA companies or even larger 10+ person Indie teams using AppGameKit so might not be anything like that. There might be and they just don't participate on the forums just saying that from what I have seen everyone here is a solo developer or a tiny team like Jim Jams Games.
Tobias_Ripper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 18:01
Quote: "I don't think there are any AAA companies or even larger 10+ person Indie teams using AppGameKit so might not be anything like that. There might be just that from what I have seen everyone here is a solo developer or a tiny team like Jim Jams Games."

Even those including. Even a single man dev team.
Just wondering if AppGameKit has been used for anything more than an app or mini game?
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 18:12 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 18:15
I gotcha. I don't but I will definitely keep an eye out and post here when I come across something.

Personally I don't do mobile game dev and everything is for desktop and web but I also am just getting back to game dev as far as doing a complete game like literally working on one now BUT I also scale back heavily and place constraints due to being only 1 very part-time developer.

Projects will scale up in terms of size and production value over time but not sure to what degree. I can't see ever tackling games that we see coming from Unity created by 3 to 5 people even unless I have 2 to 4 people helping me.

AppGameKit is definitely capable though and when someone /some people do make such a game it will be the best marketing that can be done and people will flood here.
Increase
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know whether it has been made, but i think it's possible.

It's rather a question of how many time somebody can and wants to put in.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 18:48
Im creating a Minecraft clone if that beats any large games!! lol ya cant get any bigger than that

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 18:56 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 19:13
Best & Biggest I've found...

Arkeos Chronicle

Skyway Game

Rush to Adventure

Eat Drink Slay

Hover Car Race Challenge Accepted (probably should have left this one off because this seems to be the last of the development on it as far as I can tell)

NOTE: There seems to be many cool projects people started and then stopped on for whatever reason but that is common everywhere. Unity forums are filled with cool looking game very early wips that are abandoned.
It's a shame but people lose interest or just don't have the free time to continue, etc.
Tobias_Ripper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 19:13 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 19:14
These look nice, actually.
I find there are a lot of games made with AppGameKit that don't do the engine justice.
Kind of like the beginning of the Unity Engine era of games where there was a surge of very poorly made horror games which, for many years associated Unity with poor quality games among non-developers.
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 19:26 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 21:01
Well the biggest factors I think are AppGameKit probably attracts more programmer minded people than artists compared to things like Unity I mean. And on top of that Unity has a fantastic Asset Store with extremely high art content available.

Not sure if people know it or not but ANYONE can use the content on that Unity Asset Store. When I was on the Unity forums I specifically asked about that if I could use those assets in other game engines and frameworks and the answer was YES.

So I was thinking I (or whoever else here) could download some stuff and throw together a quite nice looking level in a weekend most likely.

Not really me because I don't have much interest in such things. I have seen uber huge epic graphics games my whole life (for the time period... of course always get shinier graphics and more movie-like as time passes) so I find that all pretty much boring and "same ole thing". BUT low res pixel art, ultra low poly 3D, pencil sketched / crayon scribbled imagery, monochrome, silhouettes, outlines, etc that stuff stands out to me as very interesting because it is something fresh from what I have seen the past 15 years or so (AAA games).

But anyway just saying that is very important to have that infrastructure and is a HUGE reason why Unity is the dominant engine out there. If the Asset Store didn't exist or didn't have so much high quality content I don't think the engine would have millions of users.

EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 20:54
I'm still working on Star Flight:Star Rogue which will be a huge game when it's completed. It's slow going as I also have a full time (>45 hours a week) job which takes up a lot of my time but it's still moving forwards
-EdzUp
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 21:08 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 21:10
Unity - Unreal - argh

We are controlled to what these engines gives us. Although awesome and many great apps are created with these, but id like to see what processes are going into my games

Google anything regarding any programming - then Unity comes top - as if its a major player in the games market

Im sure it is, but I hate the bloody engine - i prefer to make my own

Unity does my head in

In my minds eye i always want to be an engine developer - so its competion which i dont suffer greatly
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 21:36 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 21:39
I hate that too (that when searching games, etc I need to always use -unity in my search). That crap is spammed everywhere.

I only mentioned it as far as it is the most popular and with millions of users and a huge number of teams and the asset store that is why so many nice looking games coming out of that when you check... "yep another in Unity". And to mention if people want to create games that look like those a good source of content is that store. Unfortunately need to make an account and install the engine to download the stuff and even then much of it has integrated game objects and such.

I tried for 3 years to make it work for me and made a lot of progress but when I found AppGameKit it was like "I'm home". Very natural to develop in this.
Tobias_Ripper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 21:40
I personally find AppGameKit pretty damn amazing for 3D game development on the light weight and straight forward side. Much better than GMS, it's 3D was just an afterthought and it suffers in that sense. You have to do a lot more legwork to get to the same base level that AppGameKit offers out of the box.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 22:02 Edited at: 30th Aug 2018 22:03
We need to thank Paul for this, he has done us really proud into what 3D is all about and is not shy to giving us to tools to do so
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I reckon the game I’m working on will be pretty big as far as AppGameKit games go. Been 4 years in the making so far. Lots of framework GUI that I’ve not shown yet too.
Using Tier 1 AppGameKit V2
Started coding with AMOS (Thanks Francois Lionet)
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2018 04:30 Edited at: 1st Sep 2018 04:31
Quote: "I reckon the game I’m working on will be pretty big as far as AppGameKit games go. Been 4 years in the making so far. Lots of framework GUI that I’ve not shown yet too."

David, you've made one hell of a fine 2D platforming framework for your game. Loads of cool stuff with the interactive platforms, water, sloped tiles and so forth.
Can't really tell how much there is to it though from the videos. How many levels are there are how many screens on average per level?
Not that I think sheer size is the most important thing... obviously the experience that is actually in those levels is the most important. I mean it would be better to have a single screen with a lot of cool stuff than to have 1,000 mainly empty. Although I suppose someone could try to make a 2D Walking Simulator. lol
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2018 22:44
Flattered that you include my game Hover Car Race Challenge Accepted! on a list of AGK's "best and biggest" but it really isn't, it doesn't even come close to Tobias_Ripper's orignal question. It's pretty one note and a bit too difficult from what some people have told me. However, I did finish it and you can download it from IndieDB and Google Play, links in my signature.

Out of the other games mentioned, I have played Rush to Adventure, which I'd say comes pretty close to being a "large game", and Eat Drink Slay, which doesn't have any narrative structure but is more than a mini game. I also believe that it wasn't finished but it was still enjoyable in its unfinished state.

Like DavidAGK, I'm also working on rogue machine which is probably the biggest game I've ever attempted.

Like others, I think it's very possible to make a big game in AppGameKit with lots of game play and other things going on. It really just needs someone to put the effort in.

Hover Car Race Challenge! - available now on Google Play
Invaders of the 29th Dimension - available now on Google Play
Find me on indieDB

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:54:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:54:27