Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / I Used to Think I Was a Very Fast Game Developer... Not So Sure Now.... How About You?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 4th Oct 2018 23:12
that game looks pretty cool Garbenjamin

and CJB awesome glad to see some development further in Tunnel shooter
fubar
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2018 15:13
What are the benefits of AGK2?

AGK2 runs on the Raspberry Pi (somehow, don't saw it live in action) and AGK2 runs on Android itself.
It is smaller than Unity or Unreal on the installation side.

My first installation of Unity was about 8 GByte, I guess and Unreal about 40 GBytes, I guess. AGK2 only about 1 GByte, the Raspberry Pi version only about 300 MB or so.

Export to Android as APK is a configuration mess with Unity and Unreal Engine. It works, but you need to install Android Studio. AGK2 Tier 1 Basic can do that out of the box!!!

What about the Asset store? Oh, we have a lot of assets, but they are not well sorted, maybe. All FPS Creator Classic *.X files are there. That are about 8000 objects (some are doppelgangers)

I think, at this moment AGK2 does not compete with Unity or Unreal. It more competes with Godot. But at this moment Godot can't export to OpenGL ES 2.0 Android.

Game Maker Studio 2.0 is much more expensive, if you want to export to Android.

Does need AGK2 an editor? I guess, it would be great, to have the option, to change the template for "New Project" with some custom files.

Often we write the same code over and over again. Menu navigation, RPG elements / health system, level data loader, ...

I guess, it would be possible, to have a tile system, where you can move your player and paint tiles with it or put 3D objects in a 3D space. And the game would be also the editor itself. And for shipping, it would be maybe only a switch in a variable like: setBuildModeOff = 1

Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2018 17:15
http://peisik.untergrund.net/engines/

Examples

There are many 3D tools out there for animations in the Demoscene, but these editors are not mainstream.

For 2D Ubi-Art Framework for Rayman Origins / Legends from Ubisoft

Ronimo Games, Awesomenauts

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2018 17:38 Edited at: 6th Oct 2018 17:47
Yeah those all look quite terrible to me. Going that extreme one might as well just use Unity, UE, Godot, CryEngine (I hear the most recent update makes it significantly easier to use), etc.

I'm just looking at basic stuff. Just an out of the box feature to easily build 2D and 3D worlds / levels and easily work with those (loading, rendering current view, movement, collision checking, interacting / querying the local world data, etc.... the basics) using built-in api functions. For 2D I am good with using Tiled Map Editor personally. It is something I have used for many years now and I do use that in AppGameKit so the improvement here would be to have the api contain support for easily working with Tiled (or other freely available multi-platform 2D map editor).

For 3D, it seems like there is nothing. It has been a while since I looked but last time I looked for a free 3D world editor that was kind of a standard / popular thing I found nothing. So this would need to be built I think. It doesn't need to be some massive fancy NASA space command type of thing but just something that is immediately available to everyone "out of the box" that works including not only the editors themselves but more importantly the api to work with the data produced by those tools.

Maybe that Placement Editor does this. I don't know. Is that something that we have the source for and can upgrade ourselves as needed? I should probably take a look at that and see how exactly it works. Mainly the idea is just to be able to quickly get stuff built and up n running without every AppGameKit developer needing to reinvent the wheel. That is a waste of time creating the same things, the same code again and again and again by everyone. Obviously everyone would write code a little different and build tools a little different but in the end it is the same basic stuff.

Basically there are already loads of 2D map editors available and people seem to always be building more of them. I guess this is good in some ways but I think it would make more sense to just use something like Tiled that is likely to be around for a whole lot longer and is pretty much a standard across game engines. The missing piece here is not the editor tool itself it is having built-in support for working with the Tiled map data. Having that integrated into the AppGameKit api itself.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Maybe that Placement Editor does this. "

If you're talking about the Visual Editor from TGC, then yes it does BUT currently only for 2D which means it's not a complete solution to the problem quite yet. I am hoping they will convert that visual editor to one day also support full 3D scenes, because they do have the basic stuff down rather nicely for 2D. It's just that for 2D-only it's a bit of a tough sale to me at this point.

Maybe they should introduce a scene level format of sorts, so you can have an editor act as just the level editor only, not a thing that exports any code. Then in a future version just doing something like LoadAGKScene(level_name)
that would load a 3D level created in that editor. I don't really need an in-editor programming, but for creating 3D levels with snap to grid placement etc. that would absolutely speed up game design.

On the flip side, that stuff maybe doesn't work well when you want to keep your games as small as possible for mobile platforms etc. or if you want truly custom things I guess. I mean, the way the current Visual Editor export to Tier 1 code needs to be very clean for everything to remain as small as possible right? Mind you, I don't own the Visual Editor at this point, so I am not sure how much of an issue it truly is. Just thinking out loud basically.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2018 19:56
Thats looks good for 2D
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222718

I can't tell you too much, because it is in very early state, but I am working on some very basic, but easy 3D thingly for myself, and the idea is, that the editor will run also on the Raspberry Pi and the OUYA. And you can put 3D objects and Lights with the gamepad / joypad (and also mouse, keyboard, touch, stylus).

But it would not be able to have very complex or large scenes. For that the GameGuru-Loader-thingly would fit better, I guess.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2018 18:19
Here we can read about some tools for creating graphics, 3d figures, levels and so on. http://www.gamefromscratch.com/
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2018 18:40 Edited at: 14th Oct 2018 18:50
Yeah that's a great site. I visited it a lot in previous years. They also do YT vids covering a lot of software from game engines to graphics tools, music, etc. Definitely worth subscribing to his YT channel for those.
He covered AppGameKit a couple of years ago. Recently did a bunch of videos on different game engines such as C# game engines, Lau game engines, etc. I had to comment on one of those because he completely left AppGameKit off it and I pointed that out to him. Told him I think he hasn't kept up to date on it since his last site coverage because it has changed a lot and now you can use C#, Java and other languages. Anyway he does very good overall. Hard for anyone to stay on top of every single thing there is just so much of this stuff these days.

Here it is.... his Python Game Engines video...
I commented "Seems like your coverage is not very thorough which makes me wonder if there are other options even beyond AGK. I know you covered the excellent AppGameKit a couple of years or more ago but maybe do not know it now supports BASIC, C/C++, C#, Java/Kotlin and Python and despite is name builds for mobile, Windows, Mac and Linux desktop and web."
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2018 20:19 Edited at: 14th Oct 2018 21:58
We could try that with AGK2
I guess, to create the 2d-physics object by "hand" could be a little bit tricky, bur I guess, if we know the commands, we can do it also in 10 or less min.

PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 16:22 Edited at: 15th Oct 2018 16:24
I've been thinking about making a small game for Blackthornprod's 1 week game jam that has just started (13 October, ends this Saturday). But not sure if I've got time left to really make something. I probably shouldn't get too sidetracked from my current projects.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 18:27
I am thinking of creating a tool chain, with which we could create "movies"

Results like that would be maybe a dream, but AGK2 could handle that. Playstation 2, Xbox Classic, Wii ... but all in HD graphics. We would have assets from FPSC Classic.
It would be an composing tool for cutscene-prototyping or visual demonstrating of your game idea.

"Half-Life: Anomalous Materials" from Pinwheel Arts

PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
That movie stuff is quite cool indeed. I wonder how easy it is doing something like that with AGK2. I suppose with a good understanding of camera tweens, and some dummy cameras it shouldn't be too difficult. Of course, key in this stuff really is the cinematography itself, sound design, voice overs and 3D modelling/animation. Takes a lot of work.
Xaby
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2018 14:39
There is a game jam, from today (yesterday) to one month in the future, so it goes for one month.
Maybe we can use that and try ourselfs a bit.

https://itch.io/jam/igmc2018
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2018 20:04
That sounds grea Xaby and also looks like a fantastic opportunity for someone to get their big break.

I've pretty much given up on the idea of doing a game jam because every time one comes around I'm already working on a game project. At same time I think one of these days timing will be right. I don't know I guess I am just always working on a game in some manner or another.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 31st Oct 2018 21:02
I think if you have only just started a game I think it would be ok for the game jam but could penalize your self by not allowing more than the allocated time limit
I know that may not sound right as far as etiquette hence why I say penalize your time as im sure many others would and wouldn't penalize themselves aslong
as you haven't published the game anywhere that should be ok.

I think your like me Gar as you like to forum post development as that can help to see how the development is going and can help foresee all types of potential
problems even just the act of making a video of a game can really help with its development. And the feedback received can really help with its developments
fubar
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2018 23:25
Yes I definitely like creating dev logs. Did a couple on the Unity forums in the past. Have one at TIG. Etc. It's good I think for several reasons. Just keeping the log is good for the developer just writing it down we can see hey we are making progress. And it's good for marketing too when done on the game portals themselves. A big reason I do it is because I've always enjoyed reading game dev logs and figure someone out there some day might just enjoy reading mine.

I think I will do a game jam one of these days. Right now I'm always too busy developing games to do one. Lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:27:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:27:58