Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / miniRPG , an attempt at procedurally generated levels and a basic Disgaea style RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2018 18:12 Edited at: 27th Sep 2018 18:19
Hi everyone, just thought I might as well start a work in progress thread on this project of mine.

I have fixed spawning issues, so monsters don't spawn on player location and the player never starts in water. Am working on basic pathfinding / movement for the player next.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2018 19:16
Hi, you do not have a video to show to see your game?
I do what i do !!!
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2018 12:29
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! Yeah, I will make a video very soon, maybe this weekend. Just want to have a bit more to show than a turning camera and the movement system isn't done yet (read; some bugs in there of course ). I did have some videos, but so much has changed already I need to make a new one.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
New video will take longer, so for now here's an older one just to show a bit of what is done already:

GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! Yeah, well not much gameplay in it to show yet. Have to work in a better way of dealing with game states first I think. I'm a rather chaotic programmer, so need to fix that if I want a predesigned world map and random 'dungeons' for the local maps. At the moment there is no real gameplay loop yet, except for the work in progress movement.
As for the general idea, it is intended to become a turn based tile based RPG of sorts. This will be a big challenge for sure, lets put it that way.

By the way, do you think a rotating camera is needed or do you think that just setting a 45 degrees angle towards the player is enough? The player needs to be able to select any of the 9 tiles the player is closest to (on a mobile device), but for that I don't think I'd really need a freely adjustable camera with just the outer limits set. Probably best to simplify controls there and just have two custom buttons instead?
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Another video of work in progress, some basic movement. It's still lacking the transition to the next tile and pathfinding is ignored. But I have to fix level generation first in terms of connected routes. Also, some sound FX are not final, for example the double click sound right before the player moves etc.

Having a lot of fun with this one!

to do next;
-I think it needs some camera smoothing, instead of 'teleporting'
-transition from tile to tile with some movement / animation
-expand level generation with connected paths
-implement pathfinding
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Another super tiny update, now moving onto water isn't possible anymore and camera / player movement should be very slightly improved;

..anyway, plenty left to do next.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 6th Oct 2018 23:57
Looks really good
fubar
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
The inventory system is done now. Seems to be working so far, although drinking potions currently has no effect yet:

Time to think about how to handle some basic combat next I think.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2018 13:51 Edited at: 11th Oct 2018 13:53
Thanks!

Have been working on the turn handling for a bit, seems to be working now:

AP usage of movement does not account for distance yet. Will have to fix that later.

Next on the list:
-determining which enemy is in range for attack
-enemy behavior
-basic combat
-player movement determines AP used
-probably should add some kind of 'Enemy Turn' notification on the center of the screen, as people might not notice the enemy AP decreasing?
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2018 17:25 Edited at: 11th Oct 2018 17:26

Attachments

PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline

Some more work done, this time on managing the turns and have the AI make a decision on a move. Still no complex behavior there, but at least the logic itself seems working.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 11:52 Edited at: 15th Oct 2018 12:02
What do you think looks better, a slight gap in spacing of tiles or just them connected no gap???

No gaps:

Gaps:

Attachments

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 17:37
I'd say with gaps
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Ortu, yeah I'm inclined to say with gaps looks better too.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Very basic movement for AI is now implemented;
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Started on combat now.... well, at least enemies can now do some damage:

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2018 17:37
Looks better with gaps if you want clear tiles.
Great progress.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
I kind of have a question when it comes to what is the more sensible way of handling game information, for example tiles that are occupied by enemy ghosts, the player or potions. Would you guys add such things to just a gigantic list of all tile positions and whether or not they are occupied already? I'm looking for an efficient way of ghosts not moving to a tile with a ghost or potion. Eliminating the player position as valid movement is easy, as that tile object position is already stored as it's own global variable, as it is used for it's own movement checks.

Maybe add like a occupied 1 or 0 flag to the tile type array which also controls or saves the ID, type, height and so on??
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2018 14:49 Edited at: 18th Oct 2018 15:00
Some adjustments made to the main character:

I probably should add more of shoulder pad armor type connection near the arm / shoulder area too.

Edit: fixed it, it was bothering me too much:

Attachments

PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2018 22:16 Edited at: 20th Oct 2018 22:25
Some more pathfinding coding implemented, some debugging shown of what valid movements are;

Seems it now manages to properly dodge other enemies, items and the player. Next up should be implementing some code that encourages enemies further away from the player, to also pick an ever closer destination towards the player.
Haven't decided how to determine this yet though. I kind of want a cheap 'compass pointing to player' based movement decision making, not a pre-calculated path to the player.

I'm aware it may look a bit weird, but the following screenshot should clarify what happens ; yellow is the start position, green the path and red the final destination:

Attachments

PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2018 14:03 Edited at: 29th Oct 2018 14:04
Haven't had that much time this weekend, but implemented some more animations and fixed a few bugs;

edit: no walking animation yet though.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2018 11:57
How is the project going for you ?
Always try to add in small bits so it dont get to much..
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I'm still working on it, but have to admit I've been exploring some other ideas I had as well. I probably should decide on a schedule to give some more attention to this project too.
I am considering redoing the combat for this game completely. I am also still working on refactoring some code to make the state machine processes work better together, with less interrupting. Am on the right track now as far as that goes, but this does mean very little has changed visually and in terms of mechanics to the game project recently.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:36:38
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:36:38