Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Dominance 3D

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2018 15:18
So back after two weeks off and I;ve decided to take everything I learned about 3D and go back to my CIV style game, Dominance - this time converting it to 3D.

So here's some very early landscaping pics. The first one shows the basics of landscape generation, including completely unique mountain creation - the landscape editor code comes in nicely here so every single mountain/hill on the map will be unique.

The second pic just shows the current "world" - edges - which is actually Earth autogenerated from a simple height map.

Already functional is basic editing - you can place ground whereever you want, and mountains. Next up....trees and different terrain tiles, then I'll merge the actual game back in and see what it looks like.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, that is very cool, and gives me some ideas of my own world map.
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 21st Oct 2018 21:36
wow - i didnt expect that kind of response

Well done Santman - hope this works out for you dream goal
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2018 13:48
Puzzler......not sure what you mean?
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Oct 2018 15:00 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2018 15:00
Meaning - having something to aim towards as this looks a really good promising development tool/game
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2018 23:10
Is it some World domination game?
How will it play?
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2018 18:00
Your world map looks wicked! Love the textures on the island too
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 11:04
Cliff,

Its basically designed as a Civ game, so turn based 4x4 gameplay. Here's a video of the original 2d version which got some moderate Kickstarter backing but I think the 2d graphics let it down.

But my game introduces lots of new concepts, and I aim to continue right into space.....all that's 2d space work I did will lift and drop in for that. So essentially the last 4 years of messing around has given me all the stuff to make what I originally wanted, but in full 3d.

Hopefully. Lol.
Scotty1973
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 12:14
Santman this looks really good. Love the Civ style games, although I have taken some time to get into civ 6.

I wonder if this is in Tier 2?

Certainly be following you progress on this project. Your work always looks so good.

Scotty

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 14:03
Thanks Scotty.

Progress will be slow though, lots happening in my day job.

And nope.....I'm 100% tier 1 for everything.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 16:17
I loved the early versions of civ but there was so much time before the latest was produced I forgot all the keys
and that was very important from what I remember. I loved the idea of it being reproduced just hope you can
keep controls simple as that put me off the latest version as I just wanted to play and needed to learn so many
keys before I could. With that said your a very talented designer/programmer so I am sure it will turn out well.
fubar
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
This does look great! Best of luck converting the game to 3D.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2018 10:26
Fubarpk - do you need to use keyboard controls in Civ? I think you can play the entire game using just the mouse.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2018 10:38
So not much time to spend on this, but now 3D trees are in, and a basic coastline shader is applied (though this needs work).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 1st Nov 2018 10:07 Edited at: 1st Nov 2018 10:10
Perfect - and they look like instanced objects too of one object of say around 40=50 tree objects scattered on one mesh/tile and that instanced object is duplicated in surrounding areas

I can see how its coming together

Awesome work
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2018 11:14
Thanks puzzler, it's getting there......once I get terrain types (tile types) sorted I can integrate the two 2d game and well really start to see it working. Though now I'm trying to resist just have a controllable character walk around the map, final fantasy 7 style, or use it for a war style game, or a settlers style game. Too many options! Lol.

The trees aren't nearly that complex yet, it's actually just a simple model copied lots of times in milkshape, so yes each bundle is one mesh. That's the advantage of this scale, I can get away with shortcuts that normally I wouldn't- I don't need to make sure every tree touches the ground perfectly, or looks different....the are shader animated anyway, so they suit the purpose, especially with other tree types. Just need to sort them not having gaps between tiles, which some simple scaling should solve.
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2018 20:12 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2018 20:16
I love the color of your deep water.

Are you coloring the terrain under your water depth, and then just using refraction/reflection( I do this but don't know if this is best vs coloring based off depth map in the water shader)? I keep getting sharp, random declines in my fps. I didn't get that when I have FPS unlimited.

With unlimited FPS I get from 100-130 FPS on my cheap laptop. When I use Vsync I usually get 60, but I sometimes drop to 40. I even use a shader that does not color the terrain when making the depth map( no idea if this helps, but it seems like it does not).

Just curious, if you have the same issue.

edit: I love these types of games, and I want to buy it asap
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2018 22:15
Thanks Golelorn - though it may be subject to change without notice! Lol.

The landscape is shaded under the water, but it's designed so that as it drops below the surface water it slowly shades to the dark blue that is the ocean - so for me I'm doing it the other way around, the water is actually largely transparent and it's color is being set by the landscape shader.

Not sure why you would be getting FPS drops, but it could be a couple of things - the larger the texture image and the more it's UV scaled the slower things will be, especially just before it drops a mip-map level. Or perhaps there is a comflict in the shader - you mentioned you are using a height map (I do not) so it could be that there's a pipeline cross over that's causing it perhaps?
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Gotcha. Thanks. I didn't know the scaling effected performance.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2018 18:16
Yeah, I found that out playing with the world builder, but I would see drops of 40-60 for as I scaled out, then it would jump back up as chunks of the landscape swapped mip map levels.

But as a rule, bigger textures are slower (obviously) but much more so than i expected. And also loading images resized all the time (using a value of 1.0) oddly gives much much better image quality on transparent textures (I assume this overrides default reduction, but maybe try the commands for high performnace devices too).

That said, Prebens updates may have sorted this......
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 8th Nov 2018 21:11
Quote: "Fubarpk - do you need to use keyboard controls in Civ? I think you can play the entire game using just the mouse."

The original I remember from memory there was a few keys that still needed to be remembered but maybe your right they was up
in the menu with the shortcut keys next to them. Just remember when I went back to it years later my excitement was short lived.
fubar
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2018 21:12
I think you can use the keyboard, but don't have too. Fear not.....I've made sure everything works through both too, either on screen icons or keyboard shortcuts.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:09:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:09:24