Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2018 22:13
I want to be able to have a game check for updates download them and add them to the existing game. Since the end user will not have a compiler the only way I can think of doing this is with include files. To basically update and include file with new data. My question is will this work? And I was under the impression that darkbasic compiles all the DirectX it needs based off of the code. So if my include had light commands for example but like commands didn't exist anywhere in my previous program would it be able to use them without having to recompile the executable
A child's dream never dies.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2018 02:47
Include files are included at compile time not run time, you would have to do this as .dll rather than includes.

That said, all you really need to do is have your patcher / update system send an updated .exe and any updated media.

A common practice is to actually distribute two applications, a patcher and the game itself. Players don't run the game directly they run the patcher which handles updating the game then launches the game.

The game can likewise handle updating the patcher
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2018 21:08
Have the patcher really be the launcher. It will check the game to see if an update is needed. If so then begin downloading and copying the new files. If not then launch the game. Simplest approach.

Mage's Modular Code - Get awesome UI controls and powerful Bitmap Fonts!
Screen Device Recovery - Stop your apps from crashing when minimized/tabbed/screen locked.
CPU Friendly Frame Limiter - Make your app generate less computer heat + noise, and use less battery life!
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2018 10:19
Thanks guys
A child's dream never dies.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:29:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:29:50