Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Computer art(2d)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 10:53
Heres something i did in 4 hours straight. I used no scetches, and didnt scan anything in, it was all done by hand, using the mouse.

Basically, its an american in vietnam.

c&c welcome

regards
Greenlig

I got best and fairest for soccer WHOOHOOO!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2003 11:27
I find what you say very hard to believe.

You see I have used photoshop probably before you were born and a lot of 2d image editing editors.

What I can see around your work is sloppy magic wand with a tolerance of like 32 antialias grabs that are leaving white areas around places you wanted to wipe out.

In other areas the magic wand tool crept into your document area because the grab was continous
theres even a widow mark on the right hand side of his helmet ( white blob floating in space) and that is another indication of bad use of tools AKA magic wand techniques.

If you had said Im learning how to compose images by drawing over the top of something else it would have been more beleivable.

Sorry to burst your bubble but anyone whos used 2d image editors for as long as I have will notice the same thing and your only hurting your own skills by decieving people that its something else.

nice try but no cigar
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I can see the magic wand but I figured it was deliberate to make a cool effect around the soldier, and to put him on a seperate background screen. It looks extremely good. Could be mouse, I can't see enough fakery in it to say it's a fake. Maybe..maybe not.

Pincho.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 06:49 Edited at: 24th Dec 2003 06:58
Lol, indi, i can see where you are coming from.

The wand looking stuff is the airbrush, and in Photoimpact, ive set it to 13 pixel size or there abouts. I did it all on a white background, and then added the background colours with the fill tool, and the airbrush has a faded edge as you know, so the fill wont go right up to the edges. Seriously, I did the entire thing, and i had to redo the eyes mouth and nose at least 3 times each.

The widow mark or whatever, thats again where i used the airbrush. Ive been doing 2d for about 8 years now, so im not one for cheating.

Believe me, i spent many hours on this, and in no way did i cheat. i dont mind your criticism, because it is a believable mistake. I dont use photoshop, i use photoimpact, so i dont know whether the fill function goes all the way up to the colour with the airbrush...

I am here saying I did all of this, and i wasnt trying to decieve anyone.

Regards
Greenlig

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2003 17:59
congrats then

keep exploring new techniques always as they are your 2d tools when you tackle tuff problems in print / web / broadcast and game graphics.

sometimes you have to be exacting and sometimes you can be wild n creative and all tricks pile up to solutions
Evil Noodle
Years of Service
User Offline
The Eyes in particular are very well done specially with the mouse , well done!
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2003 07:01
to tell the truth, the eyes were the easiest part, but i guess they are my favorite things to draw

thanks evil noodle

Erusuwasu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2003 17:59 Edited at: 26th Dec 2003 18:04
If, assuming, what you say is true (what indi said in his first post could be very true) then that's a great job in only 4 hours.

I'm not familiar with photoimpact, but from here on out try different selection methods than the 'magic wand'. You can use a lasso 'magnetic or other' and get much better results with selections. It may take longer, but the results are great.

Use layers if you can in Photoimpact. By making the background layer first. Then create a translucent layer above it to draw your character on so you won't have to worry about the white outline.

It almost looks like you 'smudged' the body or used some other artistic filter and then used a 'posterize' filter on it. Looks great if you're going for an abstract look.

IMHO it looks like:

First you made the body on your own and when you couldn't pull it off you put a bunch of affects on it to cover your mistakes. Then you took a photo of a soldier's head and placed it behind the body you made. Then you used an airbrush to blur it so that it would look like you could have actually drawn it by hand with a mouse or something similar. And, Finally you used a poor selection technique around the whole thing when you went to put a background behind it.

You may have actually done what you said, but what I stated above is much more likely. Sorry to doubt you

It comes to a point when feelings gotta get hurt, and get dirty with the people spreading the dirt.
Kwiki Mart
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 03:49
Looks to me like the Doc from "Saving Private Ryan"
Either good job or, good hoax.

On target, On time!
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2003 07:47 Edited at: 27th Dec 2003 07:50
Lol, i didnt use any selection techniques the entire time! The reason why the clothes are all...wierd, is because i scetched them in using airbrush, then used the full tool inbetween them. I did the head first, and after 4 hours of drawing, i couldnt be bothered doing the clothes properly so i took trhye easy way out and just filled

Photoimpact uses objects insetad of layers, so doing a background like you suggested needs to be done totally differently. The thing is, I wanted it to have the outline around him, because the background is obviously not realistic, but just meant to be the colours that characterize the situation or subject, and the two greens do it very well.

Once again, i didnt fake or porge it..and im glad you think it was a photo i grabbed because that means it looks realistic enough!!

I have another one i did in stages and i'll show you it at some stage, only it took me 1/2 and hour and is very poor quality, but shows how I do it.

I did one last night of jamie oliver, and that took me about 3 hours, and is easily my best yet. That too, will come later.

Regards
Greenlig

:edit:

also, if you look under his right eye, nearly on his cheek line, there are teo thin lines, they are some of the scetching lines that were used to draw in the cheek...lol, thats the best thing i can up with so far

thaduke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2004 12:26
Well if you really did draw that yourself, I think its unbelievable that you did it in 4 hours. Maybe a few days to a week I'd say. Now that I look at it I won't doubt that you drew it, so good job Greenlig either way. I still think your fibbing on the time it took you. I can do some pretty fantastic stuff with pencil and paper sketching, but when it comes to the computer I have a hard time drawing with a mouse, so I'm strictly percision pixel editing and effects. The work you did does an incredible job expressing the subject's emotion. It's a really beautiful drawing. Great work.

...the prophecy is true afterall... Vortex2000 has returned~
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It would take me about 8 hours to make a picture like that, but I admit that I am a slow artist. I believe that someone could do that in 4 hours. I've seen artists in the shopping centres where I live paint pictures on leather jackets as good as that. They painted their pictures in about 5 minutes!

Pincho.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 15:24
4 hours is a long tme for me, a VERY long time.

I am the kind of artist that does artwork in a very short time, and no-matter how i try, it is impossible to do otherwise.

Lol, i think its marvelous that people think it is too good to be true!!

regards
Greenlig

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 02:10 Edited at: 7th Jan 2004 02:14
Good work. A bit creepy.
Why Vietnam? You have a problem with that Amerikanazi stormtrooper styled helmet too?

Peace, the anti-Bush.
that dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 08:26
give some more pointers and post these in the new "2d art gallery" string!

the left side of my head isn't bigger, the right side is just smaller

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 13:18:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 13:18:20