Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / New here and not asking for help .... yet.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well having come across AppGameKit a week or so ago it rekindled a long standing desire in me to write a game.
I started programming back in the day on a ZX81, then Electron, then BBC, then PCs in Pascal, learnt Fortran and Cobol at Poly then got a job programming a System36 in RPGII …. then nothing apart from the odd Excel macro and a bit of Delphi until I came across BitzBasic a good few years ago …

In all that time I've never succeeded in making a game (arcade for preference), so after finding AppGameKit I dabbled for a bit with the demo, liked what I saw and bought the premium package the other day.

Currently working on a 2D Shoot 'em Up type thing as my first project, and my brain hurts from not having programmed anything for so long … basics are in but a long way to go.

At the moment I've not encountered a problem that a good amount of searching has not provided the answer to or at least a push in the right direction, but at some point I will inevitably have to ask a question or two.

Hopefully I will be able to finally put the game writing desire to bed before I hit *cough* 50 next March ......

Graham
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 16th Nov 2018 00:22 Edited at: 16th Nov 2018 00:27
welcome, GH.

i've never succeeded at FINISHING a game but had tons of fun starting 100's & 100's of them going back more than a decade with DBPro and just came off hiatus from that era by picking AppGameKit, similar to you.

and, i'm just behind you in age. for the record, i'll never "put it to sleep". i'll let it take a nap here and there, but as long as (you and) i wonder "how'd would i go about...?", it's here to stay.

case in point: then and now. ie, i'm still trying to sort heightmaps. it's like groundhog day
Vladimuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome aboard! AppGameKit is a great program, and this community is awesome. It's amazing how helpful everyone is. I've even had guys write mock programs to help me understand stuff. GLHF!
One smart fellow, he felt smart. Two smart fellows, both felt smart. Three smart fellows all felt smart...
Blue Steel AU
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2018 12:48
with me I hardly ever finish.. I do all the hard stuff but give up on the tedous religion of filling the game out eg: items , monsters , traps , levels (unless they are randomly generated) , story line lol
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2018 16:20
I'd say I've finished more tools and libraries than any actual games. A lot of times I'll get the core of the game done then lose interest.

Quote: "I started programming back in the day on a ZX81, then Electron, then BBC, then PCs in Pascal, learnt Fortran and Cobol at Poly then got a job programming a System36 in RPGII "

Took a class in Cobol, absolutely hated that language! Wish I knew RPG though, I've seen some big paying job postings for it. Pascal was my first real language (unless you count QB), and I used to like it. Haven't touched it in 15 years or so.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:58:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:58:51