Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers AppGameKit Corner / [SOLVED] Debugging- A strange screen appears when I press F8

Author
Reviewed AGK on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2018 14:56 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2018 05:16
When I press 'F8' on my keyboard to start the APK debugger , this window pops up:

What is the purpose of this screen (window) ? (see insert)

What IP address should I put in my debugger, I pressed the Cmd prompt and 'IPconfig/all and 5 different IP addresses popped up, should I use the IP4 address or the IP6 address?

Or should I use the Local iPV address?

Attachments

Login to view attachments

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2018 16:21 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2018 16:33
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
That screen comes up in the player when waiting for a broadcast from another device for testing the app.

For broadcasting, you will want your internal address, ipv4 is fine. This is usually a 192.168.1.x number, but may be different based based on your network setup.
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
Mark Garrett
Reviewed AGK on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2018 21:13 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2018 04:43
I don't really want to broadcast right now. So I think it's working better if I leave the IP address blank. But if I get an idea that I want to try out on my I-phone, I will keep that in mind.

I found out that if I ignore the pop-up window and minimize it, it doesn't interfere with anything, and I can go on 'stepping' through my program.

one more question:

If I want to debug on my I-phone, would I need to have my PC on and my I-phone on at the same time? Or, could I turn my PC off and just leave my I-phone on?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2018 22:03
You would need both on to broadcast as it is not actually installing your game as a standalone app, it is just transmitting it to the player
http://games.joshkirklin.com/sulium

A single player RPG featuring a branching, player driven storyline of meaningful choices and multiple endings alongside challenging active combat and intelligent AI.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2018 07:29
Quote: "What is the purpose of this screen (window) ? (see insert)"

That is the local debug player you do not need to enter any IP, when you press F5 your game will run in the player, when you press F8 it will run in the local debug player.
PHeMoX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2019 14:15 Edited at: 1st Jan 2019 14:18
So basically this is an emulated version of displaying your game app on a mobile device? I'm wondering because it didn't find PC specific paths to files (and yes, I do have code to take care of Android specific file paths, but this emulated F8 debug mode didn't return 'android' as the device, but PC. But did not open the proper file path somehow).

The path code for PC is literally nothing special, it should redirect to /media/levels/ , not the Windows default 'My documents' folder (in my localized version it's Documenten to be exact)

Before this it first checks whether GetDeviceBaseName() = "android" .

Edit: Just checked, but GetDeviceBaseName() does return "windows" in that debug mode. So why does it redirect to My Documents? Anyway, probably not a big deal for the final game anyway, but still.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:29:45
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:29:45